Notices

Play the tape forward?

Old 04-27-2016, 07:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Play the tape forward?

I hear this phrase used a lot and I've never really understood or appreciated it fully.

My sober journey's success has stemmed on most part from what I've read and learned from this site.

Perhaps there are many others like me who need "someone's" play it forward tape for reinforcement. I find other peoples journeys, trials and tribulations to be a huge help.

What is your "Play it Forward Tape"?
Old 04-27-2016, 07:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

For me it was quite simple Joe - I forced myself to think past the rosy romantic daydreams and memories of drinking to focus on the harsh and ugly reality of where a drink would take me.

It wasn't the only tool in my toolbox - but it had its place

D
Old 04-27-2016, 07:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me it is thinking about how I am going to feel the next morning when I wake up. I have loved having clarity and waking up hangover free for the past four months.

If drinking creeps into my mind I play the tape forward and think how I would feel the next morning. I'm not sure if this is exactly what it means, but that is how I use it.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I conjure up feelings of hopelessness and despair that my life would never change and I compare it to how much improved and full of hope I find myself now and the decision to stay sober becomes pretty simple.
Good luck
Jonathan
Old 04-27-2016, 10:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
now's the time

I see what you mean, I think. I read and post on SR every day. I almost never have any cravings, even when I'm around alcohol. I think the two things are very related. The stories here keep the consequences front in my mind even as the time since I've experienced them directly (thankfully!) grows.

I do play my own tape forward though when needed. Usually just in the form of the question, "Would I really even enjoy it at all, knowing what I know now?"
Old 04-27-2016, 10:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think for the most part us alcoholics seem to have very short memories!.

We forget the hopeless despair, anguish, and the isolation; and unfortunately, we can impulsively get swept away with the idea that a couple of drinks won't be so bad....playing that tape forward can be very grounding.