Notices

Somebody asked me at work today why i didnt drink?....

Old 04-26-2016, 11:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Somebody asked me at work today why i didnt drink?....

Up until this point I have been very cagey with the reason I don't drink because I was ashamed...today, i felt different. I just said it was because it was doing me and not me doing it! Then she said, just moderate it! So again I answered " I Can not moderate so i do not go there ". End of conversation, but what was really interesting was 2 others both agreed and said they felt the same recently and would like to stop too. I felt really good, holding my head up and being proud that I don't drink as opposed to ashamed.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's great! You just might be the inspiration for the other two to quit.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think tons of people feel like that and are too scared to say anything.
When I say something like you did, other people often chime in with -" yeah I can't stop once I start" or something like that xo
Old 04-26-2016, 11:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Excellent ZlhZlh
Old 04-26-2016, 11:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's awesome! good for you. It is refreshing to hear other people openly admit their struggles.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Awesome!
Old 04-26-2016, 12:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's great! There's right or wrong answer, its what you are comfortable with. I once said something to the effect that I had already drank a lifetime's worth of alcohol. I think the next person that asks I will just tell them the truth: that my husband drinks enough for the both of us😟
Old 04-26-2016, 12:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zlhzlh View Post
Up until this point I have been very cagey with the reason I don't drink because I was ashamed...today, i felt different. I just said it was because it was doing me and not me doing it! Then she said, just moderate it! So again I answered " I Can not moderate so i do not go there ". End of conversation, but what was really interesting was 2 others both agreed and said they felt the same recently and would like to stop too. I felt really good, holding my head up and being proud that I don't drink as opposed to ashamed.
right on!!

Yes, I've also found that when I have been open about it.... there are a LOT of people who respond with something along the lines of "gee... I wish I could do that..."

Way to go. Nice milestone!

Old 04-26-2016, 12:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

just tell them you don't enjoy it any more

simple
Old 04-26-2016, 01:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

these days, I've come to have a little fun with my responses to that question. Stuff like:

I used up all my drinkin credits between the ages of 14 and 40....

I had to stop drinking because I was so darn good at it, it wasn't fair to other people....

I'm a zero or a thousand guy.... where drinking is concerned, I'd had my fill of a thousand.

Well.... ya see.... with drinking, it was either it or me. I won.

I find it fun to play around with light-hearted, witty, yet honest answers. At first this question was a real stumbling block. I remember worrying about it. I remember being anxious when it came up. What would people think, what would I say, etc.

Those days seem a faded memory and all that concern over the question seems pretty silly now.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I often make a joke too free owl
Like- " well I could drink with you; but I won't because I might blackout, try to kill you and get us arrested"
Old 04-26-2016, 01:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
these days, I've come to have a little fun with my responses to that question. Stuff like:

I used up all my drinkin credits between the ages of 14 and 40....

I had to stop drinking because I was so darn good at it, it wasn't fair to other people....

I'm a zero or a thousand guy.... where drinking is concerned, I'd had my fill of a thousand.

I find it fun to play around with light-hearted, witty, yet honest answers. At first this question was a real stumbling block. I remember worrying about it. I remember being anxious when it came up. What would people think, what would I say, etc.

Those days seem a faded memory and all that concern over the question seems pretty silly now.

Freeowl, that made me laugh. But yeah it feels a whole lot easier, cus I have nothing to hide anymore. 😁
Old 04-26-2016, 04:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Its surprising how much folks stress over how to answer that question, and yet when we cross that hurdle, we realize how easy it is. In the end, almost no one cares. If they do care, they likely have a problem themselves.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I have said, "I used to drink that's why I don't."
Old 04-26-2016, 07:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

I guess it depends on my mood, If I want to talk about recovery then I tell them the truth and even go a little further about the relationship I had with alcohol etc.. but some days I just say that I don't drink for health or religious reasons and move on.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm thinking the next time somebody asks and I am feeling playful I might just say I am pregnant that would raise a few eyebrows hahahahha
Old 04-27-2016, 03:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

"I don't drink. Mind your own business." Works most times.

"I don't drink. If I do, you're first."
Old 04-27-2016, 05:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
"I don't drink. Mind your own business." Works most times.

"I don't drink. If I do, you're first."
Thing is, these are colleagues and I don't want to be rude, I also didn't mind saying why....that was my point. It is a change in me the fact I no longer feel ashamed or defensive anymore.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
Stealing this.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:07 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The answer to this question gives you the opportunity to be of service to those still suffering

Hi All! I used to use "what am I going to tell people who ask why I don't drink" as an excuse to not quit drinking. I've used every excuse actually! I am pretty proud of where i am now in relation to where i was so I'm pretty open about being sober, how I got there and how I live now.

I have found that more times than not, when people know this about me, they come to me when they need help with a loved one's addiction or their own problems with alcohol.