Notices

Make a Choice, Don't Drink, Take Action; Repeat.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Make a Choice, Don't Drink, Take Action; Repeat.

Sometimes, it seems people are searching for a simple formula. "The Answer".

What is the SECRET???? They seem to cry out. Even as they continue to behave in the same ways as before. Even as what DIDN'T WORK continues to be the path they choose in attempt the change they profess to want.

So here's what I found to be the simple formula, boiled down to three straightforward things.

1 - MAKE A CHOICE - don't say "I want" or "I hope" or "Today I won't". Say and mean from within your heart "I CHOOSE SOBRIETY, I CHOOSE LIFE".

2 - DON'T DRINK - brushing aside all the millions of rationalizations, excuses and 'reasons' we addictive sorts are fantastic at coming up with.... the simple, bare-bones, bottom-line basic fact is that to embrace sobriety the critical baseline is CHOOSING NOT TO DRINK ALCOHOL. Make the choice, then DON'T DRINK ALCOHOL. Or, to look at it in the positive "HONOR THE CHOICE OF SOBRIETY BY DRINKING ONLY ALCOHOL FREE BEVERAGES AND PUTTING IN OUR BODY ONLY THAT WHICH IS GOOD FOR IT AND NON-TOXIC".

3 - TAKE ACTION - each day, take clear actions that reinforce the choice in #1. EACH DAY, try to go deeper into life. EACH DAY, have specific actions on the plan. Include exercise, creativity, giving to others, leadership, intimate togetherness with another human or humans, learning, exploration of emotions, counseling, exploring in the wilderness, observing beauty, going to museums, volunteering, going to an AA meeting or other support group, reading on recovery, writing on recovery, sharing, journaling.... the list of possibilities is endless - but EACH DAY, be specific. ACTION is the only real and present way to change your life. INACTION is to fall back into habit and pattern and the grasp - again - of addiction.

Choose, Don't Drink, Take Action; REPEAT.

It's that simple.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good summary Free Owl - thanks

Take the reins guys - you won't be sorry

D
Old 04-26-2016, 06:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
DON'T DRINK - brushing aside all the millions of rationalizations, excuses and 'reasons' we addictive sorts are fantastic at coming up with.... the simple, bare-bones, bottom-line basic fact is that to embrace sobriety the critical baseline is CHOOSING NOT TO DRINK ALCOHOL.

Fantastic post, Free Owl.

It's not that those of us who are sober are the lucky ones. Whatever else, we simply cannot drink. And do not drink. No matter the circumstances, no matter what life throws at us.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I love this Free Owl. CHOOSE to EMBRACE SOBRIETY. It is so clear. It is so simple. Thank you.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This!!!!! Great post.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

#3 is so important! I needed this today.

Thanks FreeOwl
Old 04-26-2016, 08:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

That's good stuff there, FreeOwl. The first is the most important - make that deep and profound decision to change this. Find the easiest way for you that will have you succeed, and then go do it! Life is short, time's a wasting, and now is the best time of all. In fact, now is the only time we have.

Good post.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
That's good stuff there, FreeOwl. The first is the most important - make that deep and profound decision to change this. Find the easiest way for you that will have you succeed, and then go do it! Life is short, time's a wasting, and now is the best time of all. In fact, now is the only time we have.

Good post.
Yep. The true and honest choice is the biggest thing. So many times I fooled myself with 'today I won't' and 'I'm not going to' and 'this HAS to stop'.... but all along I knew just below the surface I was bluffing and not truly choosing to grab onto sobriety and life.

We all have our own path to arrive there, but once we are really ready to deeply and fully CHOOSE.... Then all we have to do is follow the path and support our choice.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Thank you FreeOwl
Old 04-27-2016, 05:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

woohoo! choose, do, repeat...always repeat!