Notices

PAWS- My experience and Info

Old 04-25-2016, 12:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

PAWS- My experience and Info

First I'd like to thank all those out there that helped me when I first realized what I was experiencing. The support and feedback helped give me peace of mind, during a tough time.

I am currently 90 days sober. Will I ever drink again? ever...? It'd be nice to think one day I'll be able to have a couple brews with dinner, or fishing, or relaxing etc. and not go overboard. If that day comes WAY down the road, great-but for now just being sober is the best thing for me. in a nutshell-I went from drinking at an early age, to slowly drinking less often-but in higher quantities---massive quantities. Eventually my hangovers would actually (come to find) have PAWS-like symptoms, for a few days. That went on for a couple years, but I never actually experienced full on PAWS.
I then went on roughly a 5-day bender (had done similar type benders before, but this bender is the one that got me) and started experiencing those same old symptoms-except this time those symptoms did not go away after quite a few days, and obviously at this point I knew something was very wrong. I know my body quite well, and I infact almost knew something was off the day after I stopped drinking-and even during the bender when I had an hour or 2 when I wasn't drinking-my body was telling me something.
PAWS Symptoms-
OCD, lightheaded/dizzy/nauseas/nearly fainting, anxiety, carb cravings, hot flashes and almost flu-like symptoms, pounding heartbeat, tremors, and BRAIN FOG
My definition/description of BRAIN FOG-
Feeling stoned (but you aren't), feeling like you have a concussion (but you don't), feeling like you haven't slept in weeks (but you have). Can't read well-dyslexic, poor memory, can't think clearly, tough to drive, putting things in the wrong place-opening the wrong drawers etc., sensitivity to light and sound, feeling like your walking around in a daze etc.

I had multiple blood tests, and multiple tests done on my heart etc etc ( lots of medical expenses- insurance doesn't pay for everything!) only to find my body was actually extremely healthy. After all that, I was positive I was experiencing PAWS.

From everything I have gathered and read, my guestimate would be the following- (on how long PAWS persists):
10%-less than 3 months
25%-3 to 6 months
35%-6 to 12 months
25%-1 to 2 years
10%-more than 2 years

Things I started doing around the 4 week timeframe that I believe helped me:
-Started exercising again ( 4x per week)
-making myself diet properly ( not succumbing to the cravings)
-Multiple SUDOKUs daily! ( I never did Sudoku before in my life. Then read that Sudoku is literally meant to exercise your brain-and promotes good brain health. I ended up doing about 200 Sudoku - and there are a bunch of FREE online sites you can use. At first, it took me 30 minutes to do beginner Sudoku because my brain was in such a knot. But it actually help 'break-up' some of the brain fog. Make yourself do these exercises, I am sure these helped me significantly with brain fog issues)
- 9 week vitamin regimen that included a liver cleanse, procera, lutemax, fish oil, B Stress complex, and D3
-( and oh by the way, stop drinking alcohol Day 1 of experiencing PAWS. Waning yourself off a bender will not help.)

Some general notes:
I actually kept a log every week of my symptoms ( for almost the last 13 weeks). Around week 4-5, I started having some minor glimpses of clarity from time to time. At around the same time the tremors and pounding heartbeat started to lighten up. Around week 5 I felt okay to drive most of the time. Around week 6 I stopped feeling dizzy so much, and a lot less likely to faint. Also the OCD started to subside a bit. Week 8, no more dizziness or fainting symptoms at all. Around week 8, I felt '65%' for about '65%' of the day. Around week 11 I was feeling 60-65% back to normal. Still having some brain fog moments ( not thinking clearly, place something where its not supposed to go, slow reading, hazy / loopy feelings). Now at almost week 13, I'd say I am at about 70% of my normal/regular mental and physical health, maybe on pace for a 5 month recovery? ( I hope). Still have some brain fog moments now and then and feeling hazy/loopy. But I feel like I can function in society again!

A couple times from all the stress of PAWS and work etc. you do get that urge to drink. I have had 9 Non-alcoholic 'malt beverages' in the last 90 days ( o'douls, Becks NA , etc.) which actually were productive. Just 1 or 2 every couple weeks when I've felt the urge kind of kills the desire. ( almost like a nicotine patch to a smoker?) Nonetheless, haven't had an actual beer or liquor drink or wine or 'alcoholic' beverage in 90 days.

Nonetheless, for anyone experiencing PAWS- it will get better ( as though before me helped me understand)! I am 30 and pretty healthy, and could drink every ounce of alcohol under the sun for days straight, but all of the sudden my body said NO. It can happen to you! Try to ease up on the binge drinking-if you do your homework (before its too late) its easy to see how bad you screw up the natural chemistry of your body. It takes awhile to reset, mine still is after 90 days- I'm hoping I'm normal before the next 90 days.
But again, I am happy to have turned the corner so to speak and actually have some of my life back. I will be on this site from time to time to check in, but during my lapses I hope all goes well with everyone out there!
Hopefully some of my tips help you if you are experiencing any of these issues- and be patient.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your breakdown of PAWS (that's Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome, for those unacquainted) duration by percentage is interesting and informative, but it's perhaps worth noting that most people don't experience symptoms at all beyond the normal week or so of acute withdrawal.

I've read many accounts here on SR from people who report feeling 100% within a week of quitting after a 30-year drinking career. Of course, I just wanna sock 'em because I was one of the 10% of PAWS sufferers whose symptoms persisted for more than 2 years
Old 04-25-2016, 03:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 90 days Tom

I'm not a fan of NA beer...it's kinda like wistfully looking backwards to me...
but if you feel it's working for you, keep moving forward

D
Old 04-25-2016, 07:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, I hear ya. I really don't have much desire to drink NA, just a couple times it killed the tension. Slowly waning any desire at all to need , even that taste that resembles beer.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Shorttom88 I found you post very informative, I am at 48 days now and suffering from brain fog, cognitive issues, bumpy, etc. I know your post is nearly 1 year old, how are you getting on now? thanks.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by carlingford View Post
Thanks Shorttom88 I found you post very informative, I am at 48 days now and suffering from brain fog, cognitive issues, bumpy, etc. I know your post is nearly 1 year old, how are you getting on now? thanks.
@shorttom88 I am at Day 44. I am experiencing the same brain fog
Old 06-01-2017, 07:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oddly enough I am over 16 months sober now. I felt like I should chime in today, mainly because I have been experiencing a rough patch the last 4-5 days. Never got to 100%, maybe in the 80% range and have yet to really get all the way back to normal. Still just feel a little off at times, and have yet to sleep well for a week, wake up everyday for a week and feel right throughout each day- for a week.
I suppose I am one in the smaller percentage that will last up to 2 years? Or maybe in hindsight my breakdown was off. I have looked into many other cases where symptoms prevail for 2 years. I actually did not 'lift weights' for over a year, and then rejoined a gym a few weeks ago. I think maybe thats why my shmptoms reappeared again. Some days at the gym, I felt a little woozy- and my PAWS symptoms would somewhat reappear and last all day. Some days I feel great when I walk out the door. But I got a couple good hard lifts in, and the last few weeks and my PAWS symptoms have reappeared very strong over the last few days. I ahd to leave the gym early today, because I felt like I was going to embarass myself and pass out infront of everyone- and just felt so 'out-there' mentally. More sensitivity to light than normal, terrible OCD, dizzinesss/disequilibrium, feeling like I'm going to pass out/brain is going to conk out on the spot, brain fog, misplacing things, poor motor skills, disassociation/mild psychosis feeling with reality etc...

It is scary. After 16 months and all of the sudden strong symptoms just reappear. (maybe the lifting and exercise is throwing my body off/mind off a bit as far as pushing oxegyn to the brain? I had a bunch of tests done, holter monitor, and other expensive tests that revealed nothing- last year)
The only comforting thing is reading up and seeing other people have gone through it too, and although it sucks..so much.. other people have dealt with it too. So I figured I should sign in and tell my experiences so other people know they are not alone.
For me, the first few weeks and month or two were tough. Then I felt I got alot better in the 3 month to 5 month area (70% better). Then flatlined for quite few months. Then over the winter- actually felt 80% better until maybe a month ago. There would be days I felt 'normal' for about a day ( redundant
, I know) and then days or moments where PAWS reminded me I still wasn't normal. But atleast tolerable compared to where I was when I was initially suffering the symptoms- I literally could not function for the first few weeks.
Unfortunately though (to reiterate) the last few days have been brutal all of the sudden. I guess the more I have read, it is still likely that there are times that just reappear lasting for days- that just send you back into 'left field'. It sucks and is scary. I start thinking do I have diabetes? Alzeimers? Parkinsons? ( and I do not say that sarcastically- those are all serious matter, and I really start thinking these things) - but I ecen recall asking about diabetes last year when I was getting my blood work done- was told I didn't have diabetes. Etc
Sometimes I wonder if mouthwashing for too long ( and I am very anal about my oral hygiene) can initiate some PAWS symptoms. Listerine is 21% alcohol, so I recently backed it down to scope (13%), but may even just start with some oral rinse that has zero alcohol. ( just feels like it doesn't do as good of a job!)

Nonetheless, I wish everybody the best dealing with this situation. Patience is key, and it appears ( unfortunately) symptoms occur for years, potentially. the body was not meant for drugs and alcohol. (Alcohol in my case) If only we could go back in time... but since we can't we have to just stay strong and push through it.
Good evening
Old 06-02-2017, 10:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Shorttom88,

I'm sorry that you are going through this. As far as the alcohol content in the mouthwash goes, that seems like a bit of a stretch to think it might possibly be contributing to any of your symptoms (I'm assuming you're not swallowing it?). The heavy workout theory seems at least somewhat plausible. Just my opinion. of course.

It might be worth going to speak with a psychiatrist, or even some type of holistic practitioner who can recommend certain supplements for your symptoms , especially one that has experience in addiction and paws (although they might be more difficult to find). This is not medical advice, but there have been some studies that have shown that inositol (vitamin B8) can help with OCD symptoms, so you might want to look into that. Again, I'd recommend talking to a doctor or psychiatrist first. Best of luck!
Old 06-02-2017, 02:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Shorttom88,

I also wanted to add that I'm very glad to hear that all of the physical exams and tests you had done came back negative. That is a very good sign. I should also say that the reason I mentioned a psychiatrist, is because there are certain things that might not necessarily show up in labwork or other tests, but would be better evaluated by psychiatrist, especially since you mention things like OCD. Someone in that profession would be better equipped to evaluate and recommend treatment than a GP would, for example. Once again, I wish you the best of luck on your journey!
Old 06-02-2017, 02:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I will certainly look into, thank you for the input.
I had bloodwork done twice, a holter monitor and an ultrasound and nothing came up. I guess mri/ct scan would be the only tests left to figure something, but my physician mentioned nothing about getting them done. So for the last year plus and for the foreseeable future I will still consider this as PAWS, but if my episodes were to get worse and never get close to 100%, I will certainly push/pressure my physician to get me images of whats going on in my head.
And no, I do not swallow the mouthwash, but as you know dealing with this situation- you start looking at all possibilities.
The lifting weights, and up and down movements of squats, and breathing with some pressure on your body, makes me lightheaded and a little bluey so to speak, almost like when I first started having PAWS january 2016. Not that bad, but glitches like that. Just going to keep out lf the gym for a few days, try to get back to normal.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, I can certainly understand wanting to explore all possible options. It sounds like you have been very thorough. I agree that some kind of imaging scan would be the next option if you felt it was needed. One reason that I mention weight lifting being a possible issue is that heavy or strenuous exercise has been implicated in exacerbating paws symptoms. It may be worth lightening up a bit on those type of exercises to see how your body responds.

There is actually a pretty good website that mentions it somewhere and talks about paws symptoms, although if you have done your research, I'm guessing you've probably already come across it. I'm in the thick of it as well. Not sure if I'm allowed to post links, and if not, I apologize. Mods, feel free to delete if this is against the rules.

Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
Old 06-02-2017, 04:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yeah thats pretty spot on, especially with the symptoms. I look back and wonder if should have tapered off rather than cold turkey- ironically I've tapered on and off stuff my whole life. Lifting, supplements, sports regiments etc... but I just went cold turkey on the drinking, and its all tough to taper off 'binge' drinking on the weekends. Thats not an exact science, but surely it could have been done.
Nonetheless, over 16 months sober, I don't believe I'm going to drink again so I can give the taper-off method a shot...I believe thatd just be detrimental at this point.
Nonetheless, with the exception of this recent spell- things were alot better (not 100%, but undoubtedly better), so I am just going to keep trucking...it sucks but I don't have much choice!
Old 04-29-2020, 07:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shorttom88 View Post
First I'd like to thank all those out there that helped me when I first realized what I was experiencing. The support and feedback helped give me peace of mind, during a tough time.

I am currently 90 days sober. Will I ever drink again? ever...? It'd be nice to think one day I'll be able to have a couple brews with dinner, or fishing, or relaxing etc. and not go overboard. If that day comes WAY down the road, great-but for now just being sober is the best thing for me. in a nutshell-I went from drinking at an early age, to slowly drinking less often-but in higher quantities---massive quantities. Eventually my hangovers would actually (come to find) have PAWS-like symptoms, for a few days. That went on for a couple years, but I never actually experienced full on PAWS.
I then went on roughly a 5-day bender (had done similar type benders before, but this bender is the one that got me) and started experiencing those same old symptoms-except this time those symptoms did not go away after quite a few days, and obviously at this point I knew something was very wrong. I know my body quite well, and I infact almost knew something was off the day after I stopped drinking-and even during the bender when I had an hour or 2 when I wasn't drinking-my body was telling me something.
PAWS Symptoms-
OCD, lightheaded/dizzy/nauseas/nearly fainting, anxiety, carb cravings, hot flashes and almost flu-like symptoms, pounding heartbeat, tremors, and BRAIN FOG
My definition/description of BRAIN FOG-
Feeling stoned (but you aren't), feeling like you have a concussion (but you don't), feeling like you haven't slept in weeks (but you have). Can't read well-dyslexic, poor memory, can't think clearly, tough to drive, putting things in the wrong place-opening the wrong drawers etc., sensitivity to light and sound, feeling like your walking around in a daze etc.

I had multiple blood tests, and multiple tests done on my heart etc etc ( lots of medical expenses- insurance doesn't pay for everything!) only to find my body was actually extremely healthy. After all that, I was positive I was experiencing PAWS.

From everything I have gathered and read, my guestimate would be the following- (on how long PAWS persists):
10%-less than 3 months
25%-3 to 6 months
35%-6 to 12 months
25%-1 to 2 years
10%-more than 2 years

Things I started doing around the 4 week timeframe that I believe helped me:
-Started exercising again ( 4x per week)
-making myself diet properly ( not succumbing to the cravings)
-Multiple SUDOKUs daily! ( I never did Sudoku before in my life. Then read that Sudoku is literally meant to exercise your brain-and promotes good brain health. I ended up doing about 200 Sudoku - and there are a bunch of FREE online sites you can use. At first, it took me 30 minutes to do beginner Sudoku because my brain was in such a knot. But it actually help 'break-up' some of the brain fog. Make yourself do these exercises, I am sure these helped me significantly with brain fog issues)
- 9 week vitamin regimen that included a liver cleanse, procera, lutemax, fish oil, B Stress complex, and D3
-( and oh by the way, stop drinking alcohol Day 1 of experiencing PAWS. Waning yourself off a bender will not help.)

Some general notes:
I actually kept a log every week of my symptoms ( for almost the last 13 weeks). Around week 4-5, I started having some minor glimpses of clarity from time to time. At around the same time the tremors and pounding heartbeat started to lighten up. Around week 5 I felt okay to drive most of the time. Around week 6 I stopped feeling dizzy so much, and a lot less likely to faint. Also the OCD started to subside a bit. Week 8, no more dizziness or fainting symptoms at all. Around week 8, I felt '65%' for about '65%' of the day. Around week 11 I was feeling 60-65% back to normal. Still having some brain fog moments ( not thinking clearly, place something where its not supposed to go, slow reading, hazy / loopy feelings). Now at almost week 13, I'd say I am at about 70% of my normal/regular mental and physical health, maybe on pace for a 5 month recovery? ( I hope). Still have some brain fog moments now and then and feeling hazy/loopy. But I feel like I can function in society again!

A couple times from all the stress of PAWS and work etc. you do get that urge to drink. I have had 9 Non-alcoholic 'malt beverages' in the last 90 days ( o'douls, Becks NA , etc.) which actually were productive. Just 1 or 2 every couple weeks when I've felt the urge kind of kills the desire. ( almost like a nicotine patch to a smoker?) Nonetheless, haven't had an actual beer or liquor drink or wine or 'alcoholic' beverage in 90 days.

Nonetheless, for anyone experiencing PAWS- it will get better ( as though before me helped me understand)! I am 30 and pretty healthy, and could drink every ounce of alcohol under the sun for days straight, but all of the sudden my body said NO. It can happen to you! Try to ease up on the binge drinking-if you do your homework (before its too late) its easy to see how bad you screw up the natural chemistry of your body. It takes awhile to reset, mine still is after 90 days- I'm hoping I'm normal before the next 90 days.
But again, I am happy to have turned the corner so to speak and actually have some of my life back. I will be on this site from time to time to check in, but during my lapses I hope all goes well with everyone out there!
Hopefully some of my tips help you if you are experiencing any of these issues- and be patient.
Thanks for this post. I'm almost at 90 days and the same thing happened to me. For years I would drink or party hard and if I stopped I'd feel great within one week beyond perhaps some cravings and being maybe a bit tired (at most).

This time was different. Like you I felt pretty intense symptoms for the first 4-6 weeks, then slightly less for the next 2-3 weeks. Only in the past two odd weeks have I felt another opening up. However, I still have weird headaches, aches and pains randomly, tingles in my hand, brain fog, and some visual disturbances. All of it is LESS than it was, but it's still there. It'd say I feel about 50% better to how I felt two months ago. Symptoms that largely went away: panic attacks, insomnia, bizarre intrusive thoughts.

At the same time, I've been weaning off of nicotine slowly so it's possible I'm also confounding things with mild nicotine withdrawal. However, during the first 6 weeks I wasn't doing so, so my initial intense experience can't really be explained by that.