Notices

When did the anxiety go away?

Old 04-24-2016, 06:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When did the anxiety go away?

Also what supplements do you take?
Old 04-24-2016, 06:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Anxiety for me is a way of life. The detox related anxiety? Usually 2-3 weeks. I know the difference between my 'normal' anxiety and detox anxiety because the latter has a manic edge that I usually don't have.

I believe its best to get blood work done so you know what you need to supplement with. BUT I take Vit D (which isn't water soluable so you should know your levels...although most are deficient), Mag, BioC, B complex, additional B1, 12, Folic and biotin, Omega 3, milk thistle. Eating a nutritious diet of whole, unprocessed food is really important too. So if a box/bag has more than 1 ingredient, it generally isn't 'food' in my book.

Again, blood work is just a good idea.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had massive blood work last summer and the doctor didn't see anything alarming but my oxygen levels, so I wanted to give sobriety a chance to work on my body before I do it again. Not sure if I can get it done more than once a year on Medicare but I'll see. It's massively expensive since my local clinic merged with some giant medical entity that absorbed our local hospital and everything else. All the labs go through them now. In the past I would stop drinking and wake up a few mornings in and feel the gentle waves of hopefulness surround me again. It's harder this time.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I do think each time we try again, it is harder. It was for me.

It's always best to talk to your dr about vitamins and supplements, just to be on the safe side.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you're in the US there should be a clinic that can do it for under 100.....I would think anyway. And drs often don't check for a lot of the micro nutrients I mentioned. I would ask them to check for specific things....which could make it more expensive. B1 is really important as most alcoholics are deficient and long term deficiency can cause memory problems, even Werneckes.

Alcoholism is soul crushing. I think that gloom and doom thinking is part of the disease, part of the change that heavy drinking causes in our brain. Alcohol hijacks the reward centers of the brain. Take it away and we feel hopeless. The brain can heal however. Recognize what's going on. Take steps to boost endorphins and dopamine. Exercise. Eat right. Watch comedies. Goofy things like funny animal videos on Youtube. Anything that makes you smile. Except booze of course Hang in there. It does get better!
Old 04-24-2016, 06:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I guess some vitamins can be problematic if you have a fatty liver. I guess I'll hold off on the vitamins for now and try to eat super foods. I do crave fish like salmon and sardines (I know yuck) love spinach and beans. Maybe I'll get green juices. Nutribullet? I'm trying to avoid sugar though as much as possible. There's some really good frozen dark chocolate covered fruit like pineapple, bananas, strawberries at my store that come in boxes with single serving pouches inside. They're by Dole.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I deal with anxiety, most likely my drinking was an attempt ( a failed one at that ) to self medicate it. There's some anxiety related to drinking and withdrawal, and as some said already that will likely subside eventually after quitting. But anxiety can also be a completely separate disorder that requires treatment on it's own. That could mean therapy, meds, lifestyle changes, etc. Seeing a therapist to find out wouldn't hurt.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How long have you been sober? I was having really bad anxiety from days 45- 100. I am at day 111 and feeling much better. Never had issues with anxiety before I stopped drinking. Of course I have had people to try and convince me that maybe the alcohol was masking it, but I doubt that theory fits me. Go to the doctor, but I take SAMe and NAC along with B vitamins. I hear the SAMe also helps the liver. Best wishes!
Old 04-24-2016, 07:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I hinted at my level of anxiety while first being treated for sleep apnea and that doctor hesitated to subscribe me something because of the severity of my hypoxia(?) I need to try again. I've been putting my mask on during the day sometimes as it forces me to breathe regularly.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm only on day 3. In the past it was never this bad. I should try to get out but that fills me with more anxiety. And I've stopped looking in the mirror mostly because I see The Portrait of Dorian Grey. I don't want anyone looking at me. I actually am hideous. I'm fat and haven't aged well at all.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lonelywombat67 View Post
I'm only on day 3. In the past it was never this bad. I should try to get out but that fills me with more anxiety. And I've stopped looking in the mirror mostly because I see The Portrait of Dorian Grey. I don't want anyone looking at me. I actually am hideous. I'm fat and haven't aged well at all.
You're such early days. Take it easy on yourself. I remember back to the last 6 months my husband was alive. He was very sick, which kept me from drinking myself into a stupor, but I was drinking a lot. Eating garbage and a lot of it. No exercise. I was a mess. I showered without the light on. Couldn't look in the mirror. I know how you're feeling.

Fat is just that. It isn't shame. Its not hideous. The only way out of the hole I had dug myself was one step at a time, one day at a time. Quitting booze came first. I was amazed at the differences after only 30 days. I had to let go of the idea that change would happen over night. If you are having trouble leaving the house, try housework, organizing things. Vacuuming. Walking up and down stairs if you have them. YouTube some yoga postures and light stretching. Any movement is better than no movement....when you're ready.

Alcohol and being overweight age us like crazy. I am amazed how much younger I look after not drinking for a period. You can do this.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

When I learned meditation in detox and it was rough as I wanted off Ativan and alcohol at the same time, my god it was tough but today if I have anxiety I meditate and it works for me.

Andrew
Old 04-24-2016, 07:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Please get out of the house, if only for an hour. Take a walk if you need to. In reality, we live in a world full of self centered people so you can feel safe knowing no one is paying any attention to you! At day three, anxiety is not unusual. Go to the doctor, have tests done to know your levels, then see what you need to do. I also hear ashwagandha helps with anxiety. But research it for yourself.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

P.S. The fat will go away as you get well and stop taking in empty calories from alcohol. I weighed 225 lbs 6 months ago, today I weigh 170 lbs alcohol free. Still haven't been able to get exercising the way I need too so I am sure that will take off a few more pounds.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

My anxiety settled steadily, 2 steps forwrd 1 step back, but it still has not gone totally away.

I am almost 1 year clean. I take a multi and a b12. Nothing else.

I gets better every day. Dealing w life sober is what we are designed to do.

Hang in there.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I got a treadmill delivered. It's a monster and it scares me while I'm so wobbly. I'm in bad shape for walking around the neighborhood because of my knees. The weight is killing them. Even getting 20 pounds off will probably make it easier to get out and walk. My activities when I get to them include sorting through my belongings to downsize them. I'm giving stuff away and trying to get a more minimalist lifestyle going. Some of it is very nice and I have the added benefit of discretely watching people haul it away and hopefully enjoy it. It's hard work emptying drawers and cabinets and filling boxes so I can only manage short stretches at a time. The end game is to try to sell my house and move closer to my daughter and grandchildren. Houses aren't selling well around here though so I can't rest all my hopes in that. Otherwise I'm watching television like I was being paid for it. I have every channel including Netflix and Hulu. I can make suggestions if you need them. When The Walking Dead rolls around again though I might not be able to watch it since I totally associate it with drinking wine to calm down the frights.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I had a lot of anxiety when I was drinking, and even more after I quit (withdrawal). I've noticed my anxiety level decrease after being sober maybe 4 months. At six months I still have anxiety (a medical condition) but no where near the level I was at while drinking and in withdrawal.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thats funny that you mention the Walking Dead ( I too am guilty of watching a few hours of TV a night...and I LOVE it). I started watching it and the only way I can handle it is when I'm running on my treadmill (I use my tablet). Otherwise I'm an anxious mess. Maybe skip that one for now. I'm rewatching the Xfiles...not nearly so stress inducing

Off to my yoga now. I love my brain on yoga! Keep talking. You're doing great.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Lately I love watching shows about people living simply out in the wilderness of Alaska or in the West U.S. There's something calming about it. Or survival shows.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:29 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

3 months and much relief.
6 months -- getting back on a nice calm sober track.
One year was well worth staying sober for.

There's just no chance for the alcoholic
if we don't keep the plug in the jug.

Good luck

Mountainmanbob