It can happen to you

Old 04-24-2016, 05:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It can happen to you

I've been thinking on this post for about a week though the subject comes up often in description of relationships and environment.

Last week I had a call from an old client I had not seen in sometime. About 5 years ago it came to light that her apparent perfect marriage was just not so.....her well respected, very well known husband had been having multiple affairs. A divorce ensued, she seemed happy and looking forward to the future. Later, a night that involved the police when the husband showed up at the house destroying everything in sight while his children locked themselves in the bathroom praying the police would get there soon. Things went silent. Then there was a reconciliation.

Shortly after the wife started having health issues. She started putting on weight. She was diagnosed initially with fibromyalgia. Eventually that diagnosis went to Rheumatoid Arthritis. She gained at least 100 lb and could hardly walk. One of the last times I saw her was before a party at her house when she was laying on her bed with ice packs all over her legs, so swollen she looked like she would pop. She walked to bathroom like a 100 year old person, sweat was dripping down her face as I worked with her because she said she had started menopause. This woman was 45 years old. I had known her for 10 years as a tiny incredible stylish, beautiful woman. This person was unrecognizable. Later that evening she was rushed to the emergency room because she thought she may be dying.

Fast forward to last week and 5 years later. When I saw her my first thought was she looked so much better, she had lost weight, she was walking just fine. She told me she was a signature away from divorce. The description of the last 5 years was horrible, and included her thoughts that her husband " just might kill her". During the divorce he had to submit to a psyche eval, and was diagnosed NPD - I suspect there are some alcohol issues as well from being close to them, and seeing things, but I didn't ask.

Now she is off all meds, and living free of pain (RA is in remission). She believes without question her illness was due to the stress, heartache, and abuse of her marriage. I concur.

Folks, 90% of all illness stems from stress. We all carry in our bodies bad cells, bad genes, and disease markers. Time and time again I see members joining, and current members who are mentioning ill health.

Toxic environment = toxic lifestyle = sick. Maybe something to make you sick enough for the rest of your life no matter that you may leave the situation, you leave with the baggage of an incurable disease, mental illness (yep, the brain can also only take so much), or disability. Perhaps its just being plagued with colds and flu's, susceptible to every germ. IBS, sleep issues, insomnia, depression, high blood pressure, weight gain, pre-diabetes, sleep apnea, arthritis, menstrual issues, chronic pain with no diagnosis, fibromyalgia, anxiety disorder, hair loss, the list is long. Its easy to ignore these signals or place blame on age or other reasons other than the real reason - we aren't taking care of ourselves, usually because we are too busy taking care of someone else.

Dealing with an active A is hell. Dealing with recovery has its own stressors. I encourage everyone here, no matter why you are here or what your situation is, to make a point to do something good for yourself. Care for your body and mind, it could be as small as deciding to commit to a walk 30 minutes a day 5 days a week. 15 minutes of meditation, 10 minutes of stretching. Get yourself a therapist if you need one, join a support group that will give you an outlet. Go to Al Anon. Go see your doctor if things are going haywire DON'T ignore the signals your body is giving you. Don't rely on pills and medications, or alcohol to take care of an issue with out addressing the cause! NyQuil PM wasn't meant to be taken every single night for weeks, months or years.

Lexiecat and Firesprite have recently written excellent threads about getting healthy.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...uper-long.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...keup-call.html

It is possible to go through stressful times and maintain good health. Make your self a priority because if you don't.....nobody else will.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very good thread, red! I was so stressed out at work over some things for about a month and all ov a sudden I had psioriosis break out all over my body and roceaseous (sp) on my face. All just from a little WORK STRESS. Think about that deep, emotional stress that is your life, not just work - you can always change jobs if it doesn't get better. You can always change your life, too.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Red! Great reminder on how important self care is. I have MS and one of the suggested things to avoid is stress. Difficult when you live with an alcoholic. There are things that I can do though to counteract the stress such as meditation, exercise and eating healthy. Very important reminder for us all.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for this reminder. The last time I saw my XABF, I came down with a terrible flu that very night, was ill for 3 weeks, and was feeling depressed from the isolation from my friends. I then got a secondary chest infection, and broke my thumb doing some DIY. It's all a reaction to what happened before. But I am recovering slowly!!
Old 04-25-2016, 12:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Red - I want to thank you for taking the time to share such a thoughtful, intelligent & relevant post.

When I posted my recent thread about my last year of getting healthy, I should have pointed out that this was year #4 of Recovery for me. It took me that long to scratch down past the surface to the deep, deeeeeeeeeep wounds inside. I went from surviving to thriving.

When I first started recovery my health was so bad that I couldn't even identify all of my problems. I had so many "symptoms" & "issues" that I didn't even know where to begin... I would just break down into crying fits. It all felt so chicken/egg and while I had a ton of "little" problems nothing BIG registered medically & that left me more confused & frustrated than before. Talking with a doc was so hard because they just never seemed to see the Whole Picture & just kept tossing prescriptions at me. I was lucky enough to find an amazing acupuncturist that helped me sort through it all slowly & we were able to strip the issues away a layer at a time. This was how I shared it in my 1st thread here at SR & re-reading it now I can remember exactly how it felt:

I am doing SO much better than when all of this started. I was exhausted & physically drained for a long time, my body was a wreck in every capacity. My energy levels were non-existent, my circulation, nervous system, hormones all raged out of control. My adrenals were dangerously exhausted, my legs felt like lead weights I carried around all day until I could finally fall into bed at night. I had headaches alllll the time, I slept poorly, my weight spiraled down then shot up, my skin changed, my mind felt like a permanent fog had taken up residence. When I went in for my first acupuncture appt I openly wept on the table out of sheer exhaustion & confusion as to where to begin rebuilding my health.

When my physical health became less critical, my mental health started to evolve naturally. Some of the fog lifted & cleared, I sought new resources like SR, the books & blogs referenced by members here. Once I started reiki on a regular basis & started to really embrace my spiritual development, things started to come full circle for me & DD (by osmosis, lol). For me it is all about getting all 3 parts of my Self (mind, body, spirit) into a harmonious synchronicity.

I also forgot that just before my one-year personal challenge began, I had created a vision board for my physical body/health & hung it on my office wall so I would see it daily. It was the 1st time I'd ever done that & I did it thinking, "it can't hurt!". Sure as anything, a year later I can see that I have accomplished every intention I set via that vision.

We talk a lot about journaling about our issues to vent bad feelings - but the reverse is true too. Don't EVER underestimate the power you have to manifest your own reality. Putting things in writing, being clear & specific & highly detailed with your intentions is a GOOD practice.

Excellent, excellent post Red!!
Old 04-25-2016, 01:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

very true and I can't agree more. I have had to come to terms with the fact that I suffer from depression and anxiety and antidepressants aren't enough. i have to get regular exercise or i can slip into deep depression. One thing I've always liked about this forum is how regularly a member who is struggling is asked, "What are you doing for YOU?" because it's true, when I would spend so much time trying to fix the flaws of others my own needs were badly neglected. and I always need that reminder! to get better for ME- not to get better so I can jump into a new relationship, which I fully admit has been the pattern in the past. thanks for sharing this very important reminder!
Old 04-25-2016, 01:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Couldn't agree more. I actually was on my word files, cleaning them up recently, and found a doc titled: MY HEALTH ISSUES For doctor....

I have completely forgotten who I was 7-10 years ago: I had stomach issues undiagnosed, back pain where my chiropractor told me that my muscles were like 2 by 4's and were completely inflexible and had no spring back to them. I had migraines, hormonal imbalances, skin issues, equilibrium and balance issues and MAJOR problems with vision and motion to the point where I couldn't even be a passenger in the front side for a 2 mile drive in the car. I developed allergies/reactions to medications.....it was awful.

Today, I completely am free of all those things. Getting out of that marriage was the best thing I ever did for myself.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Excellent post, thank you for sharing!
Old 04-25-2016, 02:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I got my first migraine in 2012--right when things were starting to get really, really bad with STBXAH. Haven't had one since I moved out last year.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Well, since my name was mentioned here, I got some rather disconcerting news today. My doctor had told me about the new lung cancer screening protocol for long-time smokers (I've been using e-cigarettes almost exclusively for the past two years, but before that was a heavy smoker), and she suggested I might want to go for one. I got through all my other tests/procedures in good shape--dermatologist took a biopsy of a "suspicious" scar on my face, which came back normal. I went for the low-dose CT scan for the lung cancer screening almost two weeks ago, and should have gotten the results before I left for the seminar.

So I'm in Penn Station today and got a VM on my cell about the results. I called, and it turns out I need to make an appointment with the pulmonologist "to discuss the results." I told the nurse who called, "Oh, that doesn't sound great." She said, well, it doesn't necessarily mean anything, he may just want to establish a professional relationship (he was the "referring" doctor who ordered the test but I've never seen him).

So I was feeling, not panicked, but rather concerned. They can't get me in until May 16. So I got online and started doing a bit of research, and apparently false positives are VERY common with this screening, and is actually considered a risk factor for having the screening (unnecessary biopsies, etc.). And I also learned that the screenings are often recommended on an annual basis.

So I figure if they saw something TRULY alarming on the CT scan, they wouldn't be waiting three weeks to get me in, and there's probably "something" they want a closer look at, and/or discuss annual screenings. So I'm not exactly freaking out (though I did have an initial sense of alarm), but I'm a bit anxious about it. I think this is why I have avoided doctors for so long. Nothing is ever simple, it seems like.

I DID manage to narrowly escape being flattened by a bus getting into my cab in New York this morning (my AirBnB host will get five stars for saving my life ("Are you NUTS? You almost walked in front of that BUS!")).

And no sooner did I get home, than I tripped on my front step and went headfirst into a stone pillar on the front of my house (I TOLD you my house hates me). My neighbor drove me to "urgent care" with a bag of frozen peas against my forehead, which had a lump the size of an egg. It's gone down now, but I'll have a black and blue forehead for the next week or so.

So that's my state-of-the-Lexie report for today. At least I don't have to worry about liver disease or other alcohol-related issues, and I am staying safely at home with my Netflix until this sucky day is over.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Excellent thread.

I noticed I rely on guys in order to distract myself from taking responsibility of myself, just like my mom did with my dad. Anyway, it feels great to take care of oneself, and to learn self love.

Since I left a toxic job and a toxic guy I have lost weight, remembered what I truly like, and felt better. I look better in the mirror, more relaxed. Big and smaller acts of self love make you look more beautiful....
Old 04-25-2016, 10:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks red for this,

I don't even know where to start. I had an HPV virus. Most females have it. Most will never develop into cancer. Mine did. When I finally got medical attention for it, I had cervical cancer stage 3b. This is something that usually will remain dormant, except under stress.

I also developed anxiety attacks, panic attacks, they feels like a heart attack is coming on, if I ever actually do have a heart attack with pre warnings, I would never know it.

I think many newbies will come here with a feeling of depression. It's real. I was also diagnosed with depression. I can't even talk about that. See, I was happier depressed then when I took those SSRI's. With depression I was able to try to figure out a way to get out of it, add in SSRI's I went back to the merry-go-round thinking I could get it right this time.

I need to say that I was usually healthy, (except for cancer). It was like when I was stressed, I didn't have the time to feel sick. How could I sleep in the car when I'm sick? I'd have to be in the house, and I didn't want to be there.

I would get sick as soon as he calmed down, and my adrenaline level, actually leveled out. It could take him a few weeks to a few months to calm down. I had to be well then. It was self preservation.

I'm going to say that there can be a mix of things at times. I'm going to say that sometimes, it might come down to fight, or flight. I think hypervigilence might have a lot to do with things also.

Don't really know what I am trying to say. It was like when I felt stressed, I was hyper alert, my stomach hurt all the time, I couldn't eat, I had panic attacks, and anxiety attacks, when I somewhat felt safe (the honeymoon period), it was like I was allowed to feel sick, and then I would get the flu or a 2 week cold.

I can just attest to the fact that an abusive stressful relationship can and will cause damage.

amy
Old 04-26-2016, 03:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Well, since my name was mentioned here, I got some rather disconcerting news today. My doctor had told me about the new lung cancer screening protocol for long-time smokers (I've been using e-cigarettes almost exclusively for the past two years, but before that was a heavy smoker), and she suggested I might want to go for one. I got through all my other tests/procedures in good shape--dermatologist took a biopsy of a "suspicious" scar on my face, which came back normal. I went for the low-dose CT scan for the lung cancer screening almost two weeks ago, and should have gotten the results before I left for the seminar.

So I'm in Penn Station today and got a VM on my cell about the results. I called, and it turns out I need to make an appointment with the pulmonologist "to discuss the results." I told the nurse who called, "Oh, that doesn't sound great." She said, well, it doesn't necessarily mean anything, he may just want to establish a professional relationship (he was the "referring" doctor who ordered the test but I've never seen him).

So I was feeling, not panicked, but rather concerned. They can't get me in until May 16. So I got online and started doing a bit of research, and apparently false positives are VERY common with this screening, and is actually considered a risk factor for having the screening (unnecessary biopsies, etc.). And I also learned that the screenings are often recommended on an annual basis.

So I figure if they saw something TRULY alarming on the CT scan, they wouldn't be waiting three weeks to get me in, and there's probably "something" they want a closer look at, and/or discuss annual screenings. So I'm not exactly freaking out (though I did have an initial sense of alarm), but I'm a bit anxious about it. I think this is why I have avoided doctors for so long. Nothing is ever simple, it seems like.

I DID manage to narrowly escape being flattened by a bus getting into my cab in New York this morning (my AirBnB host will get five stars for saving my life ("Are you NUTS? You almost walked in front of that BUS!")).

And no sooner did I get home, than I tripped on my front step and went headfirst into a stone pillar on the front of my house (I TOLD you my house hates me). My neighbor drove me to "urgent care" with a bag of frozen peas against my forehead, which had a lump the size of an egg. It's gone down now, but I'll have a black and blue forehead for the next week or so.

So that's my state-of-the-Lexie report for today. At least I don't have to worry about liver disease or other alcohol-related issues, and I am staying safely at home with my Netflix until this sucky day is over.
My MIL recently had this screening and also got a call back. What they saw was scar tissue (long time smoker but not for 25 years. Had pneumonia twice). Will have another screening in 6 month to check. Lots of anxiety while she waited to see the Dr. I also believe had they seen something definitive or really "cancer" suspect you wouldn't be waiting 3 weeks to see him.

Hope the head feels better soon!
Old 04-26-2016, 05:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Oh, something more relevant to illnesses afflicting survivors--the victim in the worst DV case I ever prosecuted (physical torture for 18 months, as well as other physical/emotional/psychological abuse during that time and economic/emotional abuse for the 25 years before that) was diagnosed with colon cancer in between the guilty plea and the sentencing. She'd had symptoms for some time, which she attributed to the physical abuse, so it wasn't discovered until much later than it otherwise would have been. When a person is living with abuse and the immediate aftermath, that sucks up all the attention one would otherwise have for one's health.

Just another consideration...
Old 04-26-2016, 06:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Even though I've actually been digging for another thread, I can't resist linking this old post of lillamy's that I ran across here as well:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ical-part.html

It's too good not to share again.

Good luck Lex - sounds like they are treating it with non-emergency status & that's a good sign to me! Hope your head is feeling better today!
Old 04-26-2016, 09:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I couldn't agree more. I was constantly tired, no matter how much sleep I got and could not figure it out. Also, near the end of my relationship with my STBXAH, I got to where I would wake up in the middle of the night often and not be able to go back to sleep. Once we decided to divorce and I got over the initial shock of it, I started sleeping better and not having that constant foggy feeling. I also noticed that my eczema has cleared up...my skin used to be itchy and hot a lot of times and now I have to attribute it to stress. I've also always had lots of hair loss, so I'm hoping that will improve too.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You know its really crazy how many of y'all mention skin issues. I am 34 never had allergies or any skin issues and have been to the doctor multiple times now for both. I do stay just completely worn out and can't find the motivation to exercise. You all hit the nail on the head.

Lately I have been drinking more water and trying to monitor what i am eating. I feel myself floating away into this gray area but its so difficult. We have to be soo many things that its very hard to remember our own needs.

We must take care of us. Someone on here said once you can't pour from an empty cup.