Notices

Can't stop binge drinking

Old 04-23-2016, 09:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can't stop binge drinking

Hello everyone. I stumbled on this site after googling "I can't stop binge drinking"

I'm 40, father of two, and am at the end of my rope. I don't know how many times I've tried to quit drinking. I can quit for a while, then I decide to drink on weekends. And when I drink its never just a couple beers. I drink until I'm completely hammered. lately I've been keeping a fifth in my tool chest in the garage so I can sneak out and get my buzz going decently so my wife doesn't see that I've polished off a six pack. "It was just a few beers" -- and half the fifth in the garage.

I've started feeling like I'm never going to break this pattern. I've abstained for periods in the past and inevitably I end up where I am this morning. Hung over and feeling like I've failed again.

I just poured the remaining Jack down the drain. Hoping I can learn a thing or two from folks here. Thanks for listening.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Ducrider
Old 04-23-2016, 10:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Ducrider! You will find lots of great support on this forum, spend some time reading and posting.

A good place to start is by joining the April class. Like you, I tried to stop many times, and would have periods of sobriety, but would reach a point where I felt one drink would be fine, but it would never be just one drink. This NYE I knew I needed to be done, so January 1st I committed to making this the year I finally made it stick. Today is Day 114, which is the longest time I have remained sober since pregnancies.

As a mom, I know how crazy and stressful life can get with kids and work. Although none of that goes away it has been easier to deal with sober and with a sense of clarity.

Check out Dee's link on plans, lots of advice there. My biggest plan is using SR, particularly the January class, reading, journaling, exercise(mainly yoga and walking) and making plans for the time I would have been drinking.

Looking forward to seeing you on here more often!!
Old 04-23-2016, 10:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi & Welcome ducrider
Old 04-23-2016, 10:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome ducrider!

I'm glad you found us.

SR gave me the support I needed to stop the madness.
Glad you poured out the alcohol.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Duc
Welcome! For me, when I started hiding alcohol, that was the beginning of the end. Yes, I was abusing alcohol before that, but for whatever reason the hiding, the lying, the thinking I was fooling others (which I wasn't) was soul crushing and made matters much worse. I no longer poured a drink and drank it somewhat slowly, I took shots. I drank much more than I thought or intended. Then the morning drinking, the work drinking, pre drinking, post drinking. Pretty bad. And once I realized I was powerless over alcohol and it was taking away my life and soul, my drinking was never fun again. It simply no longer worked.

Initially a partner of an alcoholic might think "Geez why's he so drunk? It was just a couple of beers". They don't think like we do and would never ponder hiding booze. But they figure it out. Trust is destroyed. Gaining that back is not easy.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Hi ducrider
Old 04-23-2016, 10:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

hey Ducrider. do you ride a Ducati?

if you're hiding booze to get your buzz, and then trying to pretend you aren't drunk you are on a slippery slope. i got sober 2 years ago at 41, but i didn't get off the slide until i was nearly at the bottom. i lost everything.

you can choose to get off the ride where you are, you know. you don't have to chase a bottle all the way to the bottom.

please give this some serious thought. you deserve a life free from booze.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ducrider -- I'm with ya. Today is my 2nd day sober.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and I'm glad you know that you need to stop drinking.

One thing I would say is that it involves more than just stopping drinking. That's the beginning, but I needed to make other changes in my life to support my recovery. You can do this!
Old 04-23-2016, 12:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am not in the camp of hiding your binges. The people in your life already know. What they need to do is what my husband did. Videotape your binges and threaten to post it on your Facebook, show it to your parents and send it to your boss.

That woke me up. I thought I acted normal? BS. Video doesn't lie.
Old 04-23-2016, 02:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I'll definitely check out the April class. Very glad I found this website. So much good information on here

Originally Posted by chickippo View Post
hey Ducrider. do you ride a Ducati
Yep. I ride a Panigale 959.
Old 04-23-2016, 02:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm happy to meet you too, ducrider. SR helped me when I was drinking 24/7. I'd been at it for 30 yrs. So I know there is hope for you to conquer this problem and have a better life. Very glad you see what needs to happen - you can do it!
Old 04-23-2016, 04:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Hi ducrider-

It's great to meet you! I'm glad you poured out the booze.

Like you, I was exhausted being on the merry-go-round everyday. I was so sick and tired of being sick and tired, day in and day out and finally I had enough. This site has amazing people and support. I hope to see you around posting on the forums!
Old 04-23-2016, 05:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sounds familiar. I hid a 5th of vodka in the backyard so I could easily access it as I went out for a smoke. It's a sign of worse things to come when you have to hide things
Old 04-23-2016, 05:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome abaord ducrider

SR really helped me turn things around - there was something about the support here that helped me anytime I needed it - and helping others helped me too.

I turned my life around here - I know you can do the same.

It all starts with a day one. If you're worried about withdrawal it's best to see a Dr before you begin.

D
Old 04-23-2016, 06:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi ducrider, welcome! Glad you are here!
Old 04-23-2016, 06:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Cool

Regarding the title of this thread...........you're probable right; you can't.

I know everybody says the acronym 'AA' stands for Alcoholics Anonymous, but I always preferred Attitude Adjustment; like from "I can't" to "I can" of "I will."

I Did
Noelle
Old 04-23-2016, 06:48 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome abaord ducrider

SR really helped me turn things around - there was something about the support here that helped me anytime I needed it - and helping others helped me too.

I turned my life around here - I know you can do the same.

It all starts with a day one. If you're worried about withdrawal it's best to see a Dr before you begin.

D

+1

I was in a rut, just like you, ducrider.
Same thing, hiding a bottle in different places so it didn't look like I was drinking so much. Basically lying to everybody,Including myself.
I came here every time I got the desire to drink.
It worked, took it one day at a time and now I just passed 1000 days. You can do it, and we are here to help in any way we can.
Cause we've been there.