Notices

Prescription Thugs

Old 04-23-2016, 06:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Prescription Thugs

Good morning Peeps

I watched the above documentary the other night on Netlfix. Its not anything that many of us don't already know but it really sends home the magnitude of the prescription drug epidemic.

As alcoholics in recovery we know all about denial. It can be really obvious to us sometimes and it can also be very sneaky and hide in our sub conscious even when we think we've fully dealt with our problems. Imagine if drs prescribed alcohol to us, told us it was ok? Talk about denial.

Americans, including alcoholics in recovery, pop pills in epic proportions thinking 'its ok, my dr prescribed it". I have a dear friend who is a fellow traveler though addiction and PTSD. She takes benzos everyday, refuses to question this practice, and literally tells me 'my dr prescribes it so its ok'. No its not.

The message in the doc is we have to be our own health care advocates. That's not to say that meds don't have a place. But we are taking them far to much, IMO. We take one for this, we have to take another for the side effects of that, and then another because it caused another symptom. Before ya know it we're on 5 meds. In the 80's, even 90's? I never saw this.

Anyway, its food for thought.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, there are a few bad doctors out there who over-prescribe medications, but whether to perceive the issue as being of "epidemic" proportions is a personal choice, I think, as are any sweeping generalizations about how "we" take meds far too much.

In any case, I think the problem is likely on the decline as both consumers and doctors are becoming better educated. I'd say the younger generation of doctors seems far more conservative and careful overall about prescribing meds.

On a general note, I've found that indulging the tendency to get agitated, fearful, or outraged about issues beyond my control is counter-productive to my recovery.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Frick, I agree 100%. I had a doctor from 2003 to 2009 who in retrospect I think was experimenting on me. Long story, but that experience led me to be my own doctor. I now only take medication that I deem absolutely necessary. The two medications I have taken for a long time I expect to take until death. And that's ok.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hmmm. According to the CDC prescription painkiller overdose is up 400% in women and 265% in men since 1999. Just that stat alone would indicate there are more than a few 'bad' drs out there. And I don't even know if its 'bad' per se or just ignorant. There are more prescription drugs being advertised than ever before. During the news its pretty much every third commercial. I personally think it is wrong. Drug companies are making BILLIONS in profit. Levels only seen in the last decade.

I'm not here to argue however. I just thought the documentary interesting. I'm not fearful, agitated or outraged. Just concerned and believe that everyone should be their own healthcare advocate. Nothing more.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Thomas...or its Jeff right?

I'm glad you are taking control of your situation. That is really the point of my post.

If anyone questions the widespread abuse of prescription meds one only has to take a walk through all the stats on the CDC. There is also a sharp increase of street heroin use. The belief is that many opiate addicts are switching to heroin because it is cheap and easily obtained.

My oldest brother was prescribed Klonopin for anxiety a decade ago. He took it for 6 years as prescribed. He tried to go off it and it nearly killed him. Took a year of tapering to get off it. Benzos, like Klonopin, act on the same area of the brain as alcohol, hence the reason we are given them to detox. It is basically alcohol in pill form. I recognize the need for these drugs for short term use. Hell I'd love it if I could take them long term, as I have PTSD and GAD. But take a drink, take a benzo. To the brain its the same thing as I understand it. And incredibly addicting. Just check out Aikos thread. Benzo addiction is brutal and deadly.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've followed Aiko's thread, sounds like she's finally getting the help she needs. My new topic of research has been vaccinations. Very bad things going on with them as well. MMR in particular--in infants. Sacrificing lives for profit is never acceptable.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah I think she is. Its a little hard to tell. I just hope for her that she can come through this.

To vaccinate? Yes. Very important. The MMR controversy was raging when I had my daughter 15 years ago. It was scary as a parent. Hard to know what to do. I chose to do her vaccines separately, no combo vacs. Yes its more needle pricks, more visits to the dr, but its not like she remembers! I'm not up to date on the current info but at the time it was thought the combo vacs might be contributing to autism. Don't know if there's any real evidence of this.

Now we have the HPV vaccine, which we have chosen to move forward with as about 80-90 % of the adult population have either contracted the virus and purged it or are carriers. The vaccine has not been around long so it was a little scary. But cervical cancer is scarier. I hope we made the right decision. Most forms of HPV are harmless...more of a nuisance. And most of us purge the virus and never develop cancer. Ugh. Hopefully I didn't make a mistake.

I think vaccinating is overall safe and very important. But again, research, question everything. Just blindly taking meds, especially as addict, feels a lot like denial to me.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
quat

Opioids and their possible over prescription was dinner conversation the other night. One of the most significant factors going forward will have to be patients (us) being more informed and less complacent in excepting treatment options.
Hopefully the group conscience has or will focus on a more patient driven relationship with health care providers. I know going forward I will chose opioids only after considering and ruling out other treatment options, based exclusively on the "addictive potentials " of such chemicals(and my personal history with addictive chemicals.
The prevalence of their use both as Doctor directed and the subsequent illicit market can only be countered by a switch in cultural attitude/approach. Morphine /opium have been around for a very long time, people need to realize that that is essentially what is in the little brown bottles, just synthetically derived and with different nomenclature.
I assume most would balk if their doc told them that to stop their chronic back pain they suggest morphine.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Frickaflip
I completely agree!
The drug companies are making billions by making us sicker!
I don't know about doctors in the US but doctors in the UK want to throw a pill at everything.

There is little talk of alternative therapy and nutrition as an option.
I am to the extreme of doctor avoiding - but I think there is a place for medicine - and I think that if you have an accident the medical professionals are amazing at patching you up and making you feel better.

But there is little progress on treating the root causes of disease I think it mainly revolves around prescribing a pill to mask the symptoms.
But then how would they make money if their product cured you!?

I am an addict and have abused my body for more years than I'd like to admit to - but I am trying to go down the path of using nutrition / vitamin supplements and exercise to heal - rather than let a doctor prescribe the latest wonder drug!
x
Old 04-23-2016, 12:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
Opioids and their possible over prescription was dinner conversation the other night. One of the most significant factors going forward will have to be patients (us) being more informed and less complacent in excepting treatment options.
Hopefully the group conscience has or will focus on a more patient driven relationship with health care providers. I know going forward I will chose opioids only after considering and ruling out other treatment options, based exclusively on the "addictive potentials " of such chemicals(and my personal history with addictive chemicals.
The prevalence of their use both as Doctor directed and the subsequent illicit market can only be countered by a switch in cultural attitude/approach. Morphine /opium have been around for a very long time, people need to realize that that is essentially what is in the little brown bottles, just synthetically derived and with different nomenclature.
I assume most would balk if their doc told them that to stop their chronic back pain they suggest morphine.
Absolutely. We have to be our own advocates. One of things that I liked about the documentary is it touched on our culture of immediate gratification. Also the idea that we have to be shiny, happy people all the time. If we aren't? Well there must be something wrong and we need a drug. I fully believe that drugs have a very important place in the treatment of disease and pain. But humans have become sedentary, fat and unhealthy (and our food industry is loving this). This creates all kind of lifestyle diseases (all those diseases that are killing us) that the drug companies can't wait to create a pill for. What if we lost weight? What if we ate whole, uncontaminated food? What if we got a little exercise? If 70% of us are over weight...upwards of 40% of the 70% obese? No wonder we're in pain. No wonder we have diabetes. No wonder we have high blood pressure, high cholesterol (which btw may not be a bad thing....but that's another discussion...statins!), heart disease etc etc. Not to mention depression and anxiety.

I have chronic back and hip pain. I have tried opiates. Yeah, they make me high (and out of it, and numb, and constipated, and sick to my stomach...which btw the drug companies have now created drugs to combat opiate related constipation and nausea...yay) but do they really help the pain? Nope. Good ole ibuprofen works best...with massage, stretching and yes, exercise.

Yup opiates are pharmaceutical heroin. Just as adderal, diet pills, amphetamines are pharm grade crystal meth.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Gonna watch it too xo
Old 04-23-2016, 12:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi overforty
Yes drs in the US throw drugs at us. For whatever reason I seem to have drs that don't! I do seek out nurse practitioners and holistic drs. Doesn't mean I don't take prescription drugs, I do. I take low dose Seroquel to sleep and to treat PTSD. It works. It does not make me high so I don't abuse it and it doesn't cause drug seeking behavior. Is it habit forming? Probably. I believe anything that helps induce sleep can be. But unlike ambien I'm not walking around in my sleep...ambien makes me insane.

I don't think anyone should avoid drs or medical help. But we are responsible for asking questions and trying to be enlightened. It never hurts to question.
Old 04-23-2016, 02:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
I've developed an opinion that the doctor (and patient) too often prescribe opiates when an anti-inflammatory would be just as effective. People confuse inflammation with chronic pain. I've taken celebrex and cortisone before for pain and it worked wonderfully.

I'm probably in the minority on this, but I think the opioid issue often lies with poor discipline. I've taken opiates now for some time and have had no desire to try and get more than I need or use them to get high. I don't even know how much is required to get high, and I'm not real interested in finding out.
Old 04-23-2016, 02:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Yeah I think she is. Its a little hard to tell. I just hope for her that she can come through this.

To vaccinate? Yes. Very important. The MMR controversy was raging when I had my daughter 15 years ago. It was scary as a parent. Hard to know what to do. I chose to do her vaccines separately, no combo vacs. Yes its more needle pricks, more visits to the dr, but its not like she remembers! I'm not up to date on the current info but at the time it was thought the combo vacs might be contributing to autism. Don't know if there's any real evidence of this.

Now we have the HPV vaccine, which we have chosen to move forward with as about 80-90 % of the adult population have either contracted the virus and purged it or are carriers. The vaccine has not been around long so it was a little scary. But cervical cancer is scarier. I hope we made the right decision. Most forms of HPV are harmless...more of a nuisance. And most of us purge the virus and never develop cancer. Ugh. Hopefully I didn't make a mistake.

I think vaccinating is overall safe and very important. But again, research, question everything. Just blindly taking meds, especially as addict, feels a lot like denial to me.
I'll share a little about what I found out. Big pharma developed combo vaccines to extend their patents. In doing so they also accumulated data that conclusively links autism with the vaccine. As you know, you can't sue a manufacturer in regular court, they have a seperate "vaccine court" that WE pay for. Then of course they have their lobbyists push to get laws passed or at least pressure parents into getting these vaccines on schedule. Some whistleblowers have come forward and blew the lid off the whole scheme. Two movies (that I have not seen yet) are Vaxxed and Trace Amounts....if you are interested.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Please.

Jeff, there is conclusively no link between vaccines and autism. Let's not turn SR into a forum for sharing debunked, and dangerous, medical myths.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
quat

Doing one's own research is important, but you need to make sure you do all the research and all the way down( i.e. Research the researchers ) to be fully informed, anyone can put out a study, and everyone has an agenda, even if they don't have one but they need to prove it.