Notices

Don't know where to start! But, I'm ready

Old 04-23-2016, 05:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Don't know where to start! But, I'm ready

I'm giving this a try. I drink to forget and drink 2/3 times a week. When I do, I usually drink 5-8 drink in an evening.
I want to stop drinking as it's affecting many parts of my life. I've been wanting to do this for many years with no success.

Where do I start?

I appreciate all help!
Old 04-23-2016, 05:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to sobriety, Blake. You'll find it's the best decision you can make.

There are a ton of resources available to you on SR. One of the best is the monthly "classes" that people can join at anytime during the month. They're a great way to give and receive support, tips for attaining and maintaining sobriety and holding ourselves accountable. Here's the link to the Class of April 2016. All you have to do is jump in ... there's no process or policy.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-3-a.html

All the best to you. SR is a warm and welcoming place, one that many of us credit for our sobriety and ongoing recovery.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Personal opinion, take some time and make a list of why you drank, beside each write what you can do that is different and stay sober, this is part of what we call a plan.

Couple of examples, in my wallet I carry a list of why I enjoy sobriety and what it was like when I drank, let's say I find myself in a beer isle and I think gosh its a warm day, been doing great maybe I should buy a six pack and sit on the deck and watch the boats go by, all I have to do is look at my list for a remember when then focus on something positive on the list and do it.

Had a rough day yesterday, beer never crossed my mind but one of the many things on my plan is walking with my dog and this site, I did both a few times and it worked.

Finally get some sober people in your life you can reach out to as I believe we all need someone to talk to at times, at least I do, people who understand as they have been there, I do the same for others I met in Detox, I get a couple calls a week, funny thing to me is helping others strengthens my sobriety.

Have a great day
Andrew
Old 04-23-2016, 06:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank You so so much! This really helps a lot. I'm ready to get sober and I'm going to make it happen.
I'm excited to see there is such a great online community to assist. Thank You!!!
Old 04-23-2016, 06:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Blake! Or is it Mr. Lobster!😀

Good luck on your journey. You are not alone.

One of the things that helped me finally get sober and stay there -- I spent time educating myself on what alcohol is and what it does to us and why we are addicted.

I am an "analytical" type and this knowledge helped me a lot. Maybe it could help you?
Old 04-23-2016, 06:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Andrew! These are great tips.
I'm going to write a list now, I need a plan.
I also have a dog, thanks for the tip.

I really appreciate you responding. I did not know how/if this site would work. But in an hour, I can see/feel the positive reinforcement and amazing suggestions.
Thanks Again, Blake
Old 04-23-2016, 06:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you Oneistoomuch! I'm going to research what alcohol does this afternoon, I never thought of that.
I really appreciate you taking the time to write. Thank You!
Old 04-23-2016, 06:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
Welcome to sobriety, Blake. You'll find it's the best decision you can make.

There are a ton of resources available to you on SR. One of the best is the monthly "classes" that people can join at anytime during the month. They're a great way to give and receive support, tips for attaining and maintaining sobriety and holding ourselves accountable. Here's the link to the Class of April 2016. All you have to do is jump in ... there's no process or policy.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-3-a.html

All the best to you. SR is a warm and welcoming place, one that many of us credit for our sobriety and ongoing recovery.
I agree about joining a monthly class. Just wanted to welcome you to SR! Looking forward to seeing you on here.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Having a plan of things you will do to remain sober is a excellent idea
Old 04-23-2016, 06:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Soberwolf! I'm making a plan now. I really appreciate your words.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You start with the desire to quit, so you've already started. Welcome and good job on a wise decision.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Blake, and I'm glad you've decided to stop drinking. You will find lots of support here. This is a Sticky thread with a compilation of our thoughts and ideas:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 04-23-2016, 08:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Welcome Blake
Old 04-23-2016, 09:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You start by not drinking today. Get rid of any alcohol in the house and don't buy any more. Do the same tomorrow. It's not easy but it is simple.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey blakelobster get a 5'th DUI, it seemed to help me :P) Just kidding but not entirely. A plan is very helpful. For the first few months Always have something else planned when you would normally be drinking. Do not sit around doing nothing when your regular drinking hour occurs. Also avoid people and places you use to drink with, do it at least for a while.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Welcome blakelobster! You've come to the right place for support, love and advice. We've all been where you are. I'm no expert but I am coming up on 4 months Sober and here is some information that helped early on.

I posted the following on a different thread and since you're researching the effects of alcohol on your body, thought it may be helpful:

"Alcohol is metabolized by several processes or pathways. The most common of these pathways involves two enzymes—alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) and aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH). These enzymes help break apart the alcohol molecule, making it possible to eliminate it from the body. First, ADH metabolizes alcohol to acetaldehyde, a highly toxic substance and known carcinogen (1). Then, in a second step, acetaldehyde is further metabolized down to another, less active byproduct called acetate (1), which then is broken down into water and carbon dioxide for easy elimination (2)."

This information helped me think of alcohol as poison and so I asked myself if I would pour bleach, anti-freeze, or nail polish remover (main ingredient is acetate) down my throat?

Of course not!!!!! Just sharing a tip that worked for me on a mental level.

I also worked with my Dr. the first 2 months and it really helped.

Best wishes and joining the April class is a good idea. Take care
Old 04-23-2016, 06:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome blake

you could do worse to start than looking at this

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D
Old 04-23-2016, 06:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Trudgin

For me it started almost two years ago - I just don't drink today. Under any circumstances, I don't pick up that first drink.

It's the engine that kills ya.......not the caboose.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Just a Girl Trying to Make It...

Welcome, Blake! Read around and post, it's a great group of folks to learn all kinds of different things from to help you stay sober.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I've made it 31 Hours so far! This forum helped me

Thank you everyone so much.
I know I have a long road, but SR community fas helped so much.
I now have a plan, and I'm using a sobriety calculator, one hour ar a time, but it really helps.
I'm off to the gym now to get a natural does of endorphins.: thank you.