Notices

Checking in and need advice

Old 04-22-2016, 03:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Checking in and need advice

Hi everyone - It's been a while since I checked in so I wanted to let everyone know how it's been going. I had a really awesome stretch of about three weeks - was making great headway in therapy and discovered yoga, which was nothing short of amazing re: helping me handle stress, drastically reduced cravings and just made me feel so much better. I was going three times a week.

Then - I got sick with a really bad bug this last Monday and it has thrown me. I couldn't go to Yoga because I think I would pass out doing downward dog with a stuffed up head and fever. I found myself in a super stressful week at the office and the old stress triggers came back. I slipped last night and drank two glasses of wine and two double vodkas. Hangover not so bad - but definitely not helping me get over this bug. The worst is how frustrated I feel and just wondering if I'll ever get this problem of mine out of my life.

I need more tools in my belt when I'm sick and vulnerable to stress. Any suggestions? I feel like no one understands what I am going through so thanks for being here for me.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Maybe you should check in with someone here or F2F when the urge is hitting you so you can talk about it before you actually drink.

Sorry you haven't been feeling good and drank but you did come back here which takes strength.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi BeanieBaby

I think yoga is great - but it's not a recovery plan on its own.

let me explain what I mean.

A good plan really needs to address why you drink and how you might deal with that.

If you drink through sickness maybe seeing your Dr is a better bet?

If you drink through trying to cope with stress boredom or strong emotions you need to come up with some strategies to better deal with those things.

You need to look at the changes you need to make in your life, and then look at how much support you'll need and then use it.

Yoga's good, as I said, but that can only ever be part of a plan, not the entirety...

you need a plan flexible enough to be implemented no matter how you're feeling or how busy/stressed you are?

Have you seen this link before?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

some good ideas there

D
Old 04-22-2016, 03:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Bb,

I offer the main issue is you have to remember....you are an addict.

You are addicted to booze. You are in a fight for your life.

The main tool you need is that knowledge.

You made it almost 3 weeks and then drank.

You were almost physically clean. One of the symptoms of detox is flu like symptoms. I relate.

Now the clock is reset.

Booze causes the anxiety you feel, not the work stress. Stay clean for a few months and see.

Now that I am clean for nearly a year, the things that used to bother me at work have little impact now. It is a huge deal. It changes everything. Sleep, family relations, my health.

I have not been sick, for more than a few hours, since I quit. My immune system is very strong. Booze was sapping it.

Get clean. Change a few things in your life to not drink. Stay clean.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dee pretty much nails it from my own experience and Yoga is part of my recovery plan which I learned in Detox.

However it's just one of the many tools I have, I can go for a walk with my dog, call someone I met it detox as I stay in contact with quite a few, phone someone I met in AA, I only bought the home I am in now in January and I feel fortunate my neighbor is also a recovering alcoholic with over 30 years of sobriety, older guy and we get along great and I have a better half who is a Dr. although I do not like to bother her at work she has made it clear bothering her is light years ahead of a relapse, I come here daily, I attend AA online a few times a week and once a week in person, I review a detox course I took at least three times a week and I use the internet if something is bothering me.....almost forgot that I meditate daily as well and these are just some of the tools.

Knowledge in my experience is power, understanding why I relapsed in the past led me to additional education in a few areas, armed with this knowledge I am a very happy and active sober guy. I use the Power of Knowledge to keep the AV locked up.

All the best, don't beat yourself up, in my case I learned from my relapses and added to the plan and to be honest I never think about drinking or the mistakes I made when I did, it would lead me to a path I will not go down.

Andrew
Old 04-22-2016, 04:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone for such great advice! It's now apparent that I need a comprehensive game plan with more tools when I feel overwhelmed and stressed. Dee - I will read the links you sent. Andrew - your advice made real sense. I really want what you have - not thinking about drinking. But I realize it's going to take work. I'll continue to keep u updated
Old 04-22-2016, 04:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeanieBaby View Post
Thanks to everyone for such great advice! It's now apparent that I need a comprehensive game plan with more tools when I feel overwhelmed and stressed. Dee - I will read the links you sent. Andrew - your advice made real sense. I really want what you have - not thinking about drinking. But I realize it's going to take work. I'll continue to keep u updated
Thank you for your kind words. In the beginning being the first few months it is a lot of work, requires a lot of time, effort and support. Being semi-retired time is not a problem and I have a tremendous support network. I back off/slow down with time however I am forever mindful I have this AV inside me and when life throws it's curve balls, I open up the tool box and review my plan.

I and people that know me like or love the sober Andrew, I love life and live it to the fullest and sure it has it's ups and downs, today was a tremendous test just dealing with life on life's terms yet I stayed sober and never thought of drinking. I personally find power in sharing with those asking questions and it's one of the many things that keep me sober so today I was on here a lot more than I normally am.

Be patient and understanding with yourself and you will get there no question, life is good and I wish you the very best.

Andrew
Old 04-23-2016, 02:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good job Beanie
Old 04-23-2016, 02:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
Bb,

You made it almost 3 weeks and then drank.

You were almost physically clean. One of the symptoms of detox is flu like symptoms. I relate.

Now the clock is reset.

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread but what you wrote jumped out at me. Does it take 3 weeks to get *physically* clean?
I'm looking for short term goals to aim for because I think they work better for me than long term goals.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sam, I don't think there is a definitive time line for detox
Old 04-23-2016, 06:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sam - I personally feel that my flu/bad head cold was not a product of detox from alcohol. I'm not an everyday drinker but binge under stress. So when I stopped three weeks ago, by day 2 or 3, I was physically feeling good. I would tend to think of my struggles to "detox" as psychological.

I also tend to not do as well when I'm thinking too long term - one day at a time works better for me. Agree with Andrew that it's taking each day on it's own terms and figuring out other things to cope with curveballs, rather than drink.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Yes Sam,

There is no set time for everyone that i know of....it depends on how hard we drank, how long...etc. but....

I remember that at 2 weeks, I was craving booze fiercely. It was physical.

1 month is a motivator to not refresh the booze in the body. I believe drinking hard 1 time month is enough to refresh the booze stores.

After a month of no booze, there is little chance there is any booze left in your body. So after a month, you are no longer physically addicted. Only mentally addicted.

When I quit, I am positive I was detoxing for about a month. My body ached for booze. After that, I was sapped of any long term energy for several months. My body was healing. My pancrease didn't know what to do.

So, it takes some time to become fully clean.

More than becoming fully clean, for me, the lingering hurdles were how I felt. Without the effects of booze, my brain was freaking out every day.

The world moved too fast. Lights were too bright, e.g. the sun, sounds were too loud..e.g. talking in the office at work, etc etc.

I am just now beginning to really get used to normal.

We all sought out this site for a reason. Before I was ready to quit, I used to joke that sobriety was for people that can't handle their booze.

I now realize that is the absolute truth. I can't handle booze any more. More than can't handle it, I don't want to handle it. It is kryptonite to me.

We are educated now. We have a fighters chance.

Hpe this helps you stay clean. Thanks for the therepy.

Old 04-23-2016, 12:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Hi all,

Hope you are having a relaxing Saturday.

The flu like symptoms I offered was something I read somewhere. I am a bit of a hypochondriac and I have not been sick to speak of, at all, since I stopped drinking.

When I was a drunk, I got pretty sick a few times a year.

That alone is a reason for me to never drink again.

Not going to dispute I might be wrong. I am a Dr. Google.

It is my offering for your consideration.

Love.

Old 04-23-2016, 12:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You won't be able to stay sober until you want to be sober more than you want to drink.