Self sabatoge

Old 04-22-2016, 11:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Self sabatoge

I talked to my therapist Wednesday about saying/doing things that does not promote my skills and leaves me where I am. Well I did it again.

There was a supervisory job opening at my pt employment and management wanted me to apply to all 3 positions - great no problem. So I polished up my resume pulled up a cover letter and adjusted it so it looked real good. Up loaded both to the company and did not get the job. Well second job has come available and I log in and am now kicking myself - cover letter was addressed to another company. The body was good and I think I remember changing the company but I guess I did not.

Well I corrected it and submitted it correctly this time.

I am always doing dumb things like that, any suggestions on how to stop shooting myself in the foot?

Cricket
Old 04-22-2016, 12:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Review, rewrite, and edit any formal communication, ideally at least three times.

I personally would write an original cover letter for each resume sent out.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

if you don't have a "second set of eyes" than save the document - wait a day, open it up and review it fully top to bottom before hitting send. it's the same 24 hour rule we use on inflammatory email responses or wanting to flatten someone's tires for them!!!
Old 04-22-2016, 12:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

cricket.....all human beings trip over themselves, sometimes.

I hope that is the worst "mistake" you ever make.....lol.....

dandylion
Old 04-22-2016, 12:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i am the finance administrator for a statistical center at a large well known research center. a few years back we were getting ready to send in a BIG grant application, as in $39 million dollars big, and we were going thru everything one last time.

damn good thing too because the word STATISTICAL was misspelled as the heading of the research plan..........
Old 04-22-2016, 12:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

^^^^^^ Aarghhh!!

dandylion
Old 04-22-2016, 01:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I accept what I did was human. Still kicking myself.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

cricket......a question for you----how long do you think it will take of self-punishment and blame to change history?

Now, I do know that it is human nature to feel shagreened when we first learn that we have made some sort of mistake or oversight....

But, the thing is that we just have to forgive ourselves for not being perfect at all times..just like we would do for someone else.....
Otherwise, we just keep punishing ourselves over...and over....and over....and over.....for all eternity, possibly........
One punishment for one "crime" seems to be enough.... I would think....
Even our criminal justice system follows that rule.....you cant be punished for the same crime more than once....

dandylion

***for what it is worth....I have a sneaking suspicion that you have some barely conscious self-talk about not being allowed to fail...that might go way back to your growing up years.....?
Old 04-22-2016, 02:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If possible at all, try not to do things in a hurry or take them for granted. I just shot myself in the foot because I forgot to run a spellcheck on a project. I assumed I did and took it for granted I did. Luckily, I got a second chance to fix it.

Also, when you write such important docs, make sure you are well rested, that there is no pressure (do not do it at the very last moment!), that the disturbances and interruptions are minimal, and that you have time to check everything a few times.

Hope this helps!

PS What you did IS NOT self-sabotage. It is an error and can happen to everyone.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I'm a ditz but I'm a sober ditz. I do my best to not be a ditz and that is the best you can do
Old 04-22-2016, 02:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It happens to the best of us and usually results in you NEVER making the same mistake again. Be gentle on yourself.