Notices

Paws!!!

Old 04-22-2016, 08:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Paws!!!

Hi,

This forum is great and it has been really helpful for me on my path to recovery. Reading posts helps to keep me occupied/distracted and it is full of excellent information.

Have finally built up the courage to book a doctors appointment but the next one available is just under 2 weeks away. Not drank for nearly 4 months and withdrawal was bad at first, it then improved, then it went bad again and so on. For the last week or two it has been ok until a couple of days ago I woke up feeling like I had a hangover and got really stressed, also a bit of light headedness. I felt better later in the day so it kind of comes and goes. If it is just PAWS I can deal with it knowing that it will improve over time but need to bite the bullet and get a dr's opinion, even though doctors are incredibly scary! (for chickens like me anyway)

Anyone else experienced similar after the first few months of recovery?

Old 04-22-2016, 08:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It's certainly not uncommon to feel out of sorts later into sobriety, and "PAWS" symptoms can come and go several months down the road. Having said that, PAWS itself is not a specific disease, it's just a collection of symptoms. It's entirely possible that your symptoms are caused by something else too. Fatigue and lightheadedness can come from a myriad of sources, both physical and mental.

If the symptoms are bad enough, certainly see a doctor sooner rather than later if they are debilitating. Also consider your mental health - anxiety, depression, etc are all real issues that can also be treated.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for replying SFWI.

The symptoms are slightly debilitating but they come and go and aren't even there for a lot of the time. Its just that when they do come they are uncomfortable.

A better question would be after 4 months of abstinence should I expect to feel totally recovered?
Old 04-22-2016, 09:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

4 months is well within the typical range for experiencing symptoms that could be attributable to PAWS, but your idea of seeing a doctor to rule out other causes is a good one.

The thing about all these "How long will it take before I feel better?" questions is that they all have the same answer: it takes however long it takes. There's no way to short-circuit the process of brain healing. Frustration and impatience are understandable -- after all, as alcoholics, we're used to a universal quick fix for every discomfort -- but it's important to accept on all levels that the only sure fix for the long term is to stay sober.

This article, often posted on PAWS threads, contains helpful tips for understanding and combating symptoms: http://digital-dharma.net/post-acute...r-immediately/

Me personally? At 3 years sober, I still have symptoms that I could attribute to PAWS if I wanted to, but they're pretty much part of the background noise of my everyday life at this point. Some days I'm just not going to feel 100%.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Andante;5918220]it takes however long it takes.

This is very true.

Thanks for the link, it's really helpful.