Notices

Zoloft withdrawals

Old 04-22-2016, 07:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Zoloft withdrawals

Hi all..looking for a few helpful hints. My husband stopped taking zoloft about a month ago after only taking it for about 6 weeks. He couldn't handle the side effects like brain zaps. He stopped cold turkey but still dealing with the withdrawals...does anyone know how long these will last? He's going nuts worrying about and dealing with it. Doesnt want to take more ativan to just hide it. His dr is no help..didn't know about brain zaps or neck pain. He also has ibs so he cant take advil or motrin and now even tylenol is against him. Thoughts or ideas?
Old 04-22-2016, 08:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

It took me about 3 months. The brain zaps become less frequent with time.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Eveyone is different when it comes to WD's, so unfortunately I don't think you'll find a "standard" timeline for how long they might last. Were they prescribed by a pscyhiatrist or an MD? Sometimes MD's don't know as much as they should about these types of meds - seeing a PSY/D might be of help if you can do so.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Were you able to take anything to ease the symptoms? 3 months? May i ask hw long you took it?
Old 04-22-2016, 08:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I tapered under doctors orders...got brain zaps, felt weird, but it did go away after a few months. That was about a year to year and a half ago. It should subside for him soon. *I'm not a dr. Just giving my personal experience!*
Old 04-22-2016, 08:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes a psychiatrist. We think he may be allergic since he's tried wellbutrin, lexapro and effexir and dealt with side effects while on them. In the long run, we dont think he needs it at all. Finally saw a gi dr who has him taking prilosec for his stomach. Finally has that calm after many years. Anyone would have anxiety when dealing with stomach issues and not knowing the cause until this year.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

AD's in the same class as your husband's should NEVER be stopped cold turkey- they need to be weaned, slowly. A month in, he should be over the most acute side affects ; however it may be months before the brain zaps etc subside. It's normal.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Any time I have changed anti depressant my dr always tapers the dose over two weeks depending on dosage stopping anti depressants cold turkey is very dangerous my advice would be see a Dr asap and inform them
Old 04-22-2016, 11:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There's a great site called The Road Back that I'm using. It's all about antidepressants and how to discontinue safely. I'm in the process of stopping Prozac and Trazodone after 20 years of use and it's been a great help. I also think your Dr. should be notified but many of them say go cold turkey. I don't agree, I'm tapering with no problems except some lack of sleep.