Discontinue Counseling

Old 04-21-2016, 01:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Discontinue Counseling

Good afternoon everyone....

So, my eldest child has decided that she is ready to discontinue counseling. She has been with the same counselor for a couple of years. I think she is doing well.

She is old enough to decide she does not want to stay with her father, so she does not. I feel that she has implemented many things in her life to handle stress and I am quite pleased with her progress. She makes positive choices in her life. She looks at the big picture.

I suppose I support her choice. I am proud of the progress both my children have made, and I credit so much to counseling.

Just rambling I guess........
Old 04-21-2016, 02:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow-well, good for her! It sounds like this is another way she's showing she is using her voice and making good choices. I would just let her know that she can always return should she need/wabt to in the future (although she surely already knows that!). Good job, momma-you're raising some well adjusted kiddos that know the value of reaching out for help!
Old 04-21-2016, 02:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks. Yes, she agreed that if she ever felt the need to go back she would. I am happy they are well adjusted (so happy). They have just been in counseling for so long that it's odd to think of them not going. My younger DD will still be going though, they are getting ready to start a self esteem building art project, which I think is pretty cool.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's nice to hear that she put in some good time and is ready to break free from the counseling.

I'm trying to get my only son to attend counseling as he endured both me and my wife's addictions throughout the years.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

tall, one thing I learned for sure is that for counseling to work, they have to be ready to put in the work. My kids started young, and I have been an advocate that everyone could use a counselor, so they had no stigma attached to their going. They tell friends, family, whomever. It's a good thing to see.

Their reactions to stressful situations have changed so much. It has helped them learn to deal with stress, and I can only hope they continue to apply these methods throughout their lives as stress never seems to stop.

Good luck with your son, and good for you to encourage him.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think it's great news hopeful, your daughter is doing SO well at baby-stepping through this process & making changes when she's ready. That's such a great sign of her confidence & comfort, and I KNOW that she's modeling what she sees in your own behavior. She has really, really matured throughout this process! Way to go Mama!!

(And, I'm interested in this self-esteem project! Do you know what kind of art they are going to be working on?)
Old 04-22-2016, 07:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

FS...I am not sure. I know she had a list of projects to pick from and my DD picked one and the counselor made a list of the supplies to go get from the hobby store. They start on it next week, counselor just reminded her again last night when we were leaving her sister's last appointment. I will find out next week for sure and let you know. My youngest is very artistic, so I was excited for her to do a project like this, she really communicates well in that way.

Anyhoo....I will let you know next Friday what the project is! Thank you for the encouragement. It's easy to get caught up in the day to day of life and not realize how much progress is made when you are really utilizing the tools you have. The last session was a family session for her, and it was a very good one. I am proud of both of them, and all of us as a family, for how far we have come.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

I will add that my eldest DD did a project with the counselor about a year ago. They did these cut outs of their hands on this foam board, then they modge podged cool looking scrap book papers over them. They were arranged in a circle and mounted on another board. They used paint and painted encouraging and positive things about themselves on the hands. It turned out really cool, and my daughter still has it hung on her wall in her room. We were finishing redoing her room at the time, so the paper she used to mod podge the hands matched her room, pretty neat project.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
I suppose I support her choice. I am proud of the progress both my children have made, and I credit so much to counseling.
I was so struck by this in your initial post.

Your daughter has learned to discern what she needs and wants and express it......what a gift counseling has been for her.

Also what a lifelong gift that she always knows she has that option if/when she needs it again.