Notices

Counseling Session today

Old 04-21-2016, 12:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Counseling Session today

My first visit went ok. I have a good bit to think about. He is strongly encouraging me to go to AA. There's a closed meeting tonight that I might go to. I just don't know that I want to go that route.

My concern with AA is that word will get out and my employer will find out. I won't get fired, but I worry that it will tarnish my work reputation. I don't want it to affect my future.

He felt I knew what I needed to do, but was seeking validation. He is actually right. I'm fearful of making choices that I know will change my life. Even if they will be positive. Sounds crazy I know. He gave me some good ideas on things to really ponder. So that's what I will do over the next couple of weeks.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

That's a great step Sinderos. I think your concern is unfounded - lots and lots o professionals use AA/NA and other recovery meetings. My therapist goes to AA herself. And the only people who go to AA meetings are people who are there to get sober, so anonymity is taken very seriously by everyone.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

That's great news Sinderos your being proactive in sobriety x
Old 04-21-2016, 12:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Sinderos View Post
My concern with AA is that word will get out and my employer will find out. I won't get fired, but I worry that it will tarnish my work reputation. I don't want it to affect my future.
Is recovery apt to affect your future more than continued drinking?

When I drank it seemed I cared little about how words like Drinker, Drunk, Lush, Alcoholic, Poor Employee tarnished my work reputation or future.

So I'm darn sure not worried about the terms like Recovered, Ex-Alcoholic, Sober Employee affecting it.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're seeing your therapist, Sinderos.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think most folks respect a person for quitting drinking and don't judge for being a recovering sober person. Most employers just appreciate you showing up for work on time SOBER, because they have had to deal with employees who didn't show up sober, whatever. I once worked for a boss that was a recovering alcoholic and I didn't even KNOW that until until I'd known her for 3 or 4 years. Stay in the present moment. You are sober: now. You are not drinking: now. Go to work sober: now. Do your job sober: now. Tell yourself you will be a better employee sober and it doesn't matter who knows about your past.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Hi Sinderos-

I'm glad you went to the counseling appt. today and that you are reaching out.

When what we have been doing isn't working, we have to add to the toolbox. Why not try your counselors recommendation and try a meeting?
Old 04-21-2016, 02:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello,

Glad you are seeing someone and considering AA. I've been considering it myself. I hope it goes well for you.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My concern with AA is that word will get out and my employer will find out.

and exactly how do you see that happening? someone ELSE who also attends AA is gong to tattle? or he attends them himself? i just don't think that "fear" is really very well founded....as our drinking is rarely ever the BIG SECRET we try to tell ourselves it is....

just go.....if it shows up on the front page of the Globe or the Times tomorrow, you can call me out on it!
Old 04-21-2016, 02:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm glad you are seeing a counselor, and looking into different supports that will work for you.;-)