Here we go again...

Old 04-21-2016, 06:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here we go again...

It has been quite a while since I posted. My niece, who became addicted to meth in 2004, over the past 12 years committed felonies, spent time in jail, went through rehab twice, got sober, finished paralegal school, got a job with steady employment, moved out.... And then went back to drugs. I thought she had been sober since 2008, now I don't know.

I was with her through all of this because her parents are absent due to their own issues, all the time working on my own recovery as a codependent.

I tell myself she returned to drugs because of her boyfriend, her ADD, her dad getting cancer, etc. but not everyone responds to that by returning to drugs.

I am heartbroken.

She woke me up calling in the middle of the night having a fight with her boyfriend turning physical. I was able to convince her to get out of the place.

I know better than to rescue. I know I can't go through all that again. I am 60 and just don't know if I have it in me.

Very sad right now.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry. It's really hard to watch those you love make bad choices.

Ultimately, she does drugs because that is her choice. She has to get to a place that she decides the pain of using is more than the pleasure of using. It's a hard thing to do.

All you can do at this point is encourage her and pray for her. The rest is up to her.

Hugs.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Praying for you and your niece. Welcome back. Magic