Notices

Turning wine into water

Old 04-20-2016, 07:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Turning wine into water

When I stopped smoking (and drinking) about 31 years ago, I made a battle plan that was pretty well thought out. I developed an absolutely positive attitude that I was going to make it. I was a pretty heavy smoker with a bad nicotine addiction that is so tough to kick. I got in some supplies including the newly introduced nicotine gum, some trashy reading, chocolate, hypnosis tapes, etc. I gave up coffee and beer as these were triggers to smoke. I was successful.

Now I'm trying to use some of my creative planning abilities to kick a serious wine addiction. I started by recognizing how serious my problem has become. I know this has to be successful so I can recapture my health and the joy in my life.

Next I came here to start talking about my addiction. I met some kind people who suffer some of the same anxieties and fears and health issues I do.

Then yesterday I opened up to a friend who is the only one I felt safe in confiding to. Although she has a serious illness (MS) and I didn't want to burden her, she came through for me. She has family members who are alcoholics. I had a good talk with her. I am invited to a meeting when I feel ready to go. Since I'm not religious it will be different for me. As A secular humanist I will be going for the companionship and wealth of experience.

I've got a grocery list of easily prepared healthy meals so that I don't have to do much to eat well. Also: Orange juice, bottled water, green juice, dark chocolate, trashy magazines, books, coloring books. Vitamin B1, milk thistle.

Now for the hardest part, choosing a doctor and getting myself there. This is the most important and scariest part of the plan for me! I do have a tapering plan. I have to work down from 2 bottles (occasionally 2.5) of wine a night by eliminating some drinks every night, starting later in the evening, and drinking water between drinks and in place of some drinks. I'm going to make a calendar and not deviate from it. If I deviate I have to ditch that plan for cold turkey and I'll be in for a pretty bad time.

I almost forgot, I'm hiring someone to deep clean my kitchen and bathroom.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Into the Void

You can do it, Wombat!!!!
Old 04-20-2016, 08:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you, Wombat! And don't let the religious part scare you. I was worried about the same thing in AlAnon but when I went I found several people who felt the same way. There is a lot to be learned and shared.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I love your plan! I'm going to borrow some aspects of your plan into mine. Love the coloring books..lol I have seen some really cool ones around! Best wishes, you can do this!
Old 04-20-2016, 08:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
under new management

Good for you, wombat

I look forward to continued posts of your successful progress!!!

Old 04-20-2016, 09:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Wombat I say this because I care but don't you think if you were able to taper or moderate you would have done so automatically

I don't believe any alcoholic can taper my advice would be make a day 1
Old 04-20-2016, 09:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have done so in the past so I believe I can do it and make it stick. My previous periods of abstinence were pretty long. A couple of times when I dieted for example. But the slip ups happened because I was young and didn't fear the consequences. This time I feel the importance of making this work permanently more than I ever have. At my age I don't think it is prudent to go cold turkey without a stay at a facility and I can't afford that and don't have that access. I appreciate your experience though. I'm well aware of the pitfalls of this method. So I'll be extra vigilant. Everyone is different and I hope for positive reinforcement where I can get it. I've heard from more than one person that they don't think it will work. So that's been said. Not looking for lecturing or hearing negativity on this forum. If I mess up its on me.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Just a Girl Trying to Make It...

You can do this! When I first went into AA two years ago, I also had an issue with the higher power part. Two years later and back in the rooms for the third time, that totally has changed (your results may vary). The old timers say that God can be "Group of Drunks" or it can be the doorknob, it doesn't have to be religious at all. The fellowship of AA has been amazing this time around, I think it will be very good for you. I never have gone to one meeting where I didn't get one thing I needed. I also carry a notebook so when I hear someone share a phrase that hits home to me, I write it down.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

One thing that worked for quitting smoking was giving up things that I paired or associated with it. So a trigger for drinking might be trying to watch a knuckle biting episode of Walking Dead without a glass of wine. I don't know if I can stop watching shows like that entirely or give up television for reading or attack a bowl of popcorn or what. Anyone have this issue? I realize The Walking Dead doesn't return until next Fall, but...