OT: Share your creations, interests, and hobbies!

Old 04-19-2016, 12:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT: Share your creations, interests, and hobbies!

This started over in the Joy and Gratitude thread, and Honeypig had the wonderful suggestion that it might do well in its own thread.

I posted some pics of my sewing and knitting in that thread. Here is my beloved dog. She's a miniature dachshund, and has been my BFF through some pretty awful times.

And here is our foster dog; he's a lhasa apso.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would be totally lost with out my dogs. They have been comfort in dark times. I have a pack near enough...lol.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your dogs are precious. I have one of my own and he truly is my best friend. I love him so mug
Old 04-19-2016, 03:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

They truly are a blessing...xx
Old 04-19-2016, 06:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Me too, I'd be lost without my pup❤️❤️
Old 04-19-2016, 06:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am an avid knitter. Yarn is my substance of choice! When I am traveling, I always try to find a community knitting circle to sit in on. I have found knitters to be among the nicest people I've ever met. Knitting is quite therapeutic; it is meditative. And when you are done, you have a garment!
Old 04-19-2016, 06:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I miss my doggies so much-one, the oldest, passed a few months ago. Never for to say goodbye but damn did I love that dog. I miss my other doggie too. Haven't seen her in over a year. I have my own doggie friend now and she has been a welcome, if not overly excited, addition to our family. Has certainly helped me over the last couple of years of some pretty trying times.

W-your doggies are precious!

Miss green-I knit a lot as a child. I've taught my okdest to needle point and am hoping to teach her knitting as well. Very therapeutic.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

LOVE the doggie pics! My two beloved, old age dogs died within a month of one another a year ago-- I just spent the week dog walking for a friend and SO miss having one...

I knitted a lot as a kid-- my grandmother taught my sister and I and I have been thinking I taught to teach my girls!

I sew a lot when I have time-- I have made the girls quilts and costumes etc...

I run -- wish I had more time to do it more.... and I love photography....

Those are my hobbies
Old 04-19-2016, 08:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm working on a screenplay! It has nothing to do with alcoholism!

I love to travel, hike with my pooch, go to movies and live music... All things i put on hold. No more!
Old 04-19-2016, 09:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for starting this thread, Wisconsin! I think we are going to have a lot of fun w/this thread--I need to get some photos taken of my spinning wheel, yarn, unspun fiber, etc., so I can post.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My passion is cats! I have only one and he is nine years old right now. I have always had a cat since the day I was born. They have been by my side through many a rough time. Love the companionship along with the attitude. I also help a lady out who has a rescue. Love watching a feral learn to trust and communicate with us. I also dabble in knitting. Learned as a teenager. Have recently picked it up again and trying to expand my expertise. I am what I would call an advanced beginner. Oh and I LOVE to read fiction!
Old 04-20-2016, 06:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I saw the title of this thread and immediately thought DOGS DOGS DOGS! W, yours are precious! I don't have 2-legged children, just 4-legged! Both mine are rescues... One from a rescue group, and one straight from the pound! I did DNA tests on them. My 60 pound girl is black with 4 white paws and chest and wiry hair and a beard and is Aussie/Cocker one side and Lab/Chow the other side. Then my boy is 100 pounds of pure, tall tan and is Golden Retriever/ German Shepard mix. They are my babies!
Old 04-20-2016, 06:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have one dog AND two cats. They are great, I would not know what to do with myself without them!
Old 04-20-2016, 06:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Here are my 2 houndies--if I was more camera-literate, I could get the "flash" out of their eyes....

Ned is the basset hound and Daisy is the Demon Terrier. This photo is old, but they look much the same now except for white faces (Ned is 13 and Daisy is 12, altho you'd never know it otherwise...)
Old 04-20-2016, 06:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

And here are 2 pics of Sam, an ancient basset I had the privilege of living with for the last year and a half of his life. He was 15 when he came to me, with an old spine injury that made his back end not work well, either for walking (very weak and shaky) or pooping (he couldn't tell if he was, so he just pooped randomly). My floors are linoleum and at the time I was working from home, so it was actually a really good match.

Here he is engaging in one of his favorite activities, sleeping by the heater:

And here he is wearing his "smoking jacket" (hand-me-down from a much taller dog, but I altered it to fit his bony old self b/c it's cold on my floors in the winter):

He is now resting his long, long rest under the cedar trees to the north of my house. XAH dug him a grave there and then covered it w/rocks, both to mark it and to keep it safe. It's a beautiful little spot, and I always talk to him when I pass by.

I'll see you somewhere down the road, old Sammy!
Old 04-20-2016, 09:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Love all the doggie pics Wisconsin and Honeypig! Precious

I've been gardening... Mostly just pulling weeds so far, and a little planting.
Before I had kids, I used to love to garden, but then the kids came along, and I wasn't really able to do it like I used to, so Separated AH took over (during the times he was sober or sober enough) I was thankful that he took that on, but I also missed it.
So now that my kids are a little bit older,(3 and 4) and AH isn't there to control things, it seems to be a little easier for me to do, and the kids like to "help" too, which sometimes results in dumping out a whole seed package into one hole, or pulling the newly planted flowers instead of the weeds... but it's all good At least we're having fun.
It's been keeping us busy in the evenings until dark.

I'm in love with my tulips right now!
Just planted some sunflower seeds and can't wait to start watching them grow!
Next on my list is to find some pretty and hardy plants that don't need much water... I don't want to be planting too many that need daily water... anybody have any thoughts on that?

Neat thread... thanks Wisconsin
Old 04-20-2016, 11:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great thread guys!

I'm another cat-lady here..... we have a small pride currently, lol. Our cats are a big part of our family, to all of us. 7 in total, 4 of them are Maine Coon mixes, 1 Siamese mix, 5/7 are males. Thankfully, only 1 of them is long-haired. They all have ridiculous names because they were given to them based on their personalities & quirks.

These 2 are littermates & they often sleep all tangled up as if they are still tiny kittens (they are each at or over 20lbs). They truly love each other & act like a big family, even their paws are crossed in this pic:

Old 04-20-2016, 12:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great thread!
I think our animals, I call them my kids, get us through the really rough times.
I have 2 westies! They are my life. I was so afraid that my ah would want them! He threatened to split them up, which wouldn't have been fair to them. Then I realized he didn't want them, how sad, just wanted to hurt me.
There love is truely unconditional. My little man is Jonah, and my little girl is Jess.
Not sure how to add I picture. I would if I knew how .
I also love quilting. I haven't done much lately because my life as been such a mess. I'm planning on starting to quilt again soon . Setting up my sewing room. My next project will be making baby quilts for children with terminal illnesses.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
Great thread guys!

I'm another cat-lady here..... we have a small pride currently, lol. Our cats are a big part of our family, to all of us. 7 in total, 4 of them are Maine Coon mixes, 1 Siamese mix, 5/7 are males. Thankfully, only 1 of them is long-haired. They all have ridiculous names because they were given to them based on their personalities & quirks.

These 2 are littermates & they often sleep all tangled up as if they are still tiny kittens (they are each at or over 20lbs). They truly love each other & act like a big family, even their paws are crossed in this pic:

AWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to know their names! I do that too! LOL.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zircon View Post
I also love quilting. I haven't done much lately because my life as been such a mess. I'm planning on starting to quilt again soon . Setting up my sewing room. My next project will be making baby quilts for children with terminal illnesses.
That is so generous! Quilting is so beautiful, but we've already covered in another thread how *I* am completely without talent in this particular area.

I am, however, saving every t-shirt of DD's that relates to her life experiences (1st Pre-k, summer camps, theater shows she was in, class trips, her 1st uniform shirt from work/my office, etc.) and I'm hoping to be able to have them all quilted together one day. I'm thinking it could be a great sentimental gift for when she graduates college - it can represent everything in her life up that point when she becomes fully independent.

Does that even sound doable?? I should have asked this question a long, long time ago!