Notices

Recovering from prescription drugs

Old 04-19-2016, 09:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovering from prescription drugs

Hi everyone, I'm a 47 year old female who has lived the last three years of my life constantly on dilaudid and oxycodone. On my birthday, April 11th, I was out of my pills, and I paniced. I finally made the choice to quit, and I'm having such a hard time. I live by myself, so physically I'm having a hard time functioning because of brain fog. I have been abusing prescription drugs off and on for many years, and it has ruined everything in my life, but I'm going to get it back! Can anyone please tell me how long this brain fog will last?
Old 04-19-2016, 09:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've never used those. Congrats to you for taking care of yourself. It is a hard thing to do but you can turn it around and get things going again.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Brain Fog

Can anyone share with me how you felt mentally after quitting prescription drugs? I have a brain fog that's making me feel like I can barely function. Please help!
Old 04-19-2016, 10:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

How long have you been completely abstinent?
Old 04-19-2016, 10:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Unfortunately I don't think anyone can give you an answer. Each of us is different.
Have you gone to your doctor to get a complete checkup? The best I can recommend is a healthy diet and exercise along with anything that your doctor recommends.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh ok. I responded in your other thread asking how long you'd been clean. If you've been on such heavy opiates for that long its going to take time. I'm an alcoholic so I'm only truly experienced with respect to that drug.

I usually beat myself up pretty badly when drinking so bouncing back can be tough. And the older I get, the tougher it is. I know that eating really healthy, watching out for low blood sugar, taking B vitamins (with drs approval) and exercise really help.

Maybe see your dr, get a blood workup and tell him/her what you're experiencing.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone. I see my doctor tomorro!
Old 04-19-2016, 11:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome friend
Old 04-19-2016, 12:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

Been there, done that.

Have you gone to NA? That made the difference for me, and trust me, I did NOT want to go.

The truth is you're not going to feel right for a while. After the "dopesick" (that's the most accurate name for opiate/opioid withdrawals IMO) is over, in my experience you're stil not going to feel "normal". Something will feel "just not right". Everyone is different, but I recall noticing that I felt almost "normal" or "good" at about 6 months.

I also experienced a good deal of emotional instability. Not dramatic or dangerous, I just got hit with a barrage of emotions that I had tempered with painkillers and other drugs for a long, long time. (8 years 24/7 painkillers FWIW).

No, life is not over. My birthday is April 12th 1968, so you're 1 day shy of 1 year younger than I am. My birthday in 2012 was not spectacular. The day after I passed out in a friend's bathroom on a cocktail of painkillers, benzos, and booze. It was a normal day more or less. These days July 11th is a far more significant date for me than April 12th.

Don't try to do this alone. It will be rough, but life on the other side is wonderful. For a long time while I was using I used to watch other "normal" people and wonder how they were able to function without drugs. I knew they could, and I knew that I used to be able to, but I suspected that I had "broken" something and that I would never be able to be "normal" again. - I was wrong. I'm not a prisoner any longer, and you don't have to be either.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks, IvanMike....you're giving me hope. It sounds like you had the same mindset I'm in right now.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think brain fog is very common in withdrawal, no matter what the addiction.

It does get better but how quickly seems to vary a lot from person to person.

D
Old 04-20-2016, 12:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I merged your two threads donewithpills

D
Old 04-20-2016, 01:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you!