Notices

Finally asking for help

Old 04-18-2016, 06:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally asking for help

Hello, my name is Hope and I am an alcoholic. I'm 28 and I've been a heavy drinker for 4 years. Nobody knows the kind of drinker I am because I'm good at hiding it. I'm finally falling apart and o need help. I've tried telling friends and family but I am too embarrassed. How do I stop?
Old 04-18-2016, 06:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, Hope. You have a lot of company here. Read some of the posts, and check out the different sections of the site. That's a good place to start. No doubt many others will chime in, too.
Welcome to SR. It has been invaluable to me.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Hope, it's great that you've found this site. And don't stop reaching out to your family. My 26 y.o. Son had a problem with alcohol long before all the problems started happening. I wish that he had come to us much much earlier.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Hope, this is a great site to learn and find support from others who have been there and/or are still experiencing it.

My drug of choice is heroin, but addiction is addiction in my book. Unfortunately there is no standard way to stop. In my experience I couldn't stop until I wanted recovery more than anything in the entire world. It became life or death, I can continue and die or quit and live; I choose life. At first I didn't want my entire family to know, but I found that when I was finally truly ready for recovery I wanted everyone to know- I wanted no more secrets and I needed all the emotional support I could get. I needed it all out in the open before I could truly recover.

Start making a plan for how you are going to avoid people, places, and things. List your triggers and then consider how you will handle those situations without alcohol. Have you considered meetings, counseling or going to a doctor?

Read around, there is so much on here it is an invaluable resource.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My family suspects a problem but they don't know how to handle it I think. I just want to tell the truth. It's starting to affect my personal life and my job.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Hope

coming her is a good first step to getting help. Take some time, read around - see what other people are doing - ask as many questions as you like

D
Old 04-18-2016, 09:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Getting sober is the best decision that I have ever made. Some of my family was not entirely supportive when I made the decision to get sober, but it was more important for me to get everything out in the open than it was to have a perfect reaction from everyone. And when everything is out in the open, it os easier to ask for the help and support that you need to get and stay sober.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Hope
Old 04-25-2016, 08:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

After a weekend of a drunken stupor I finally came clean to my mom. I called into work bought a pint of vodka and after the short thrill I realized I really have a problem. My mom always knew apparently. I'm making the first step by going to AA tomorrow. I need help and I finally admitted it.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Just a Girl Trying to Make It...

You can do this!
Old 04-25-2016, 08:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I realized I can't do it alone. My mom is coming with me �� It feels good to get this monster off my chest.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Hope. Great job on taking a stand. It is going to take your commitment, but you won't regret the decision to quit drinking. I sure wish I had quit when I was your age.

Lean on us to help you through the tough times. By the way, nothing to be embarrassed about either. Let your actions do the talking by staying strong.

Welcome aboard.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you for the positive feedback. Alcohol has ruined every relationship I've ever had. It only ruins the positive things in my life. I'm really going to have to make some changes when it comes to my lifestyle, but I'm ready to be the best I can be. It's nice to know I'm not the only one out there.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

There are many of us here, Hope. We all may have our own stories and backgrounds, but we share the commonality of addiction. Glad you're here.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I wouldn't wish addiction on my worst enemy. I'm so thankful I found this website.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I found this website many years ago. It was a very useful tool for me. Just knowing there are others out in the world struggling and suffering, in the same way, is a comfort. A comfort in knowing you are not alone. There is hope, always.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I recently got broken up with so I've increased my intake. I don't want to be this person. I want to learn how to be happy...sober.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hello, Hope!

Originally Posted by Hope1987 View Post
I recently got broken up with so I've increased my intake. I don't want to be this person. I want to learn how to be happy...sober.
I think you'll find that the program of AA deals with these concerns you have. I'm glad that you're going to a meeting, and posting here.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Lovely of your mum to come to your first meeting with you.
Many of our loved ones do find it hard dealing with us alcoholics. She might find the AlAnon is helpful to her if she is supporting you.

It's also important to recognise that although she can give you moral support, at the end of the day, there will be times where only you can do the work, and sometimes that's not comfortable. She'll also have very limited understanding of what you're going through.

It's likely that ladies in AA will give you their numbers. You might be tempted to not take or use them, because after all, you have your mum to support you. Can I suggest that you do take and use those numbers though.

Good luck at your first meeting. Hope it's a good one. (I blubbed most of the way through my first one.)
Old 04-25-2016, 10:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Hope and welcome to SR. I'm so pleased you found this site.
It helped me enormously.
Your mum sounds lovely, it's funny how we don't think they know but have known all the time!