Need advice or perspective

Old 04-18-2016, 08:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need advice or perspective

So active alcoholic ex does crazy things. One of them is to send crazy religious/ranting emails to my family. Crazy talk about how they have been "redeemed from their horrible life" and warnings that if my family doesn't do the same something terrible will happen to them.

On one hand, like always, dismiss it and chalk it up to the big category of something I can do nothing about. On the other hand, I feel like I want to draw a boundary: "Do not contact my family for any reason" that those emails are neither wanted or helpful and highly disturbing to my family.

So question: let it go? Address the issue? If so, what is the best way?

ugh......
Old 04-18-2016, 08:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm not sure there's much YOU can do in this situation. If your family members do not want the messages, they are free to block contact from your ex. The idea of setting a boundary sounds more like something you would do to control his behavior, not to give yourself peace of mind. Unfortunately, your ex is going to do what he wants, and only the people on the receiving end of his behavior can take steps to protect themselves from it.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah, I don't think it's really yours to manage. But if you want to just clarify that you do not support his agenda or constant contact, I could understand that. (I'm sorta that way too)

So I'd send ONE group email like:

"Hey guys, just letting you know that Ex & I are no longer together & while I don't support his rants & raves it doesn't mean you have to agree with me. Feel free to block him (like me) or not as you see fit. Have a great day!"
Old 04-18-2016, 08:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I second what FireSprite said, I would do that then let it go. I would not engage with him at all.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah sadly ""Do not contact my family for any reason" is a rule, not a boundary, but I like FireSprite's suggestion.