Notices

Preparing for detox

Old 04-18-2016, 06:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Preparing for detox

I know I'm ready to quit but I have through the roof anxiety just thinking about it. Also I need to apologize to anyone who sent me a message. I found I can't answer until I've posted at least 20 times. What things did you do to prepare yourself to detox if anything? I've stopped for a few days or a couple of weeks at a time because of trying to diet but lately my anxiety is bad. I was in the hospital this summer because I had an incarcerated bowel in an old umbilical hernia and had no issues then except that I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and had to go through that whole sleep study and get a mask and the works. My town doesn't have a lot of options. I've even thought of renting a friend to come check on me.
Also they took blood from me about a billion times and I'm reading my blood tests obsessively. The only thing I recognize as liver function was a bilirubin count which was normal. Also had a catscan of my abdomen so I wonder if it would show a problem with my liver.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Lonelywombat,

I can't help you with the detox question but am sure someone will come along with info. Keep in mind that the need for "detox" depends on both you and how much you have been drinking.

As far as anxiety, I've read about lots of people getting at least some relief from their anxiety after being sober for awhile. Although there are meds that can help, other options include hypnosis, meditation, simply deep breathing, etc. I used anti-anxiety meds for awhile but have now switched over to self hypnosis (after working with a certified hypnotherapist for about 5 hours of sessions).
Old 04-18-2016, 07:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have found in detox not only I but others crave chocolate and salt (chips) maybe pack some.

Writing pen and paper.

That was about it for me personally, pack a travel bag and get ready for a change
Old 04-18-2016, 07:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

my Hubby is off morphine .. in Sept 2015.. his detox did not go well and then his Dad died.. in March of this year 2016...know what you are going thro.. and you are by yourself.. I have done a ton of reading monitor him and doc everything.. the Doctors have no idea what is going on with him... he had a meltdown huge on Friday night..my son was with me so we got Ed to the hospital again.. have been in and out of ER up to 3 times in a week for the last 6 weeks... do this kiddo .. when its to much.. open your blog here and empty your heart. pour it out and its safe.. scream go to different t theads here and jump in with both feet.. you have to open your heart to clear your Soul your body and your Mind... and all of these great people are here for just that.. they have been in your shoes or are having to put them on everyday and take a hike tooo.. and then so many like me that are watching it happen to someone we love very much.. so... come on now let me give you a huge that a Mom gives. a soft pat on the shoulder. you can do this I know it.. and stop looking for the answer in books and in reading.. just look at yourself and be honest.. tell yourself the truth and the Truth will set you free.. make some coffee or tea.. sit down and be firm with yourself.. and let yourself guide you for a better tomorrow.. for what you do this minute will be so much better for today and tomorrow.. promise a Mom.... hugs hugs hugs....
Old 04-18-2016, 07:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't qualify for in patient detox but wish I did. It sounds so much better. Just having some company in fact would mean everything to me. I'm on Medicare and the only places they insure seem to be 1. Awful. 2. Full up.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Definitely have a friend around and if the detox symptoms get bad, get to a doctor or the ER. My first detox 25 years ago was awful with the shaking and sweats and hallucinations. I didn't know any better but probably should have been in hospital. The first 72 hours are the most dangerous.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Just a Girl Trying to Make It...

I went to the ER, they kept me for six hours and gave me IV of fluids and vitamins. They gave me medication to lessen the anxiety and withdrawal symptoms. After a few days I was able to stop the meds as the more sober I was the better my body responded. I strongly advise medical attention, it was the first time I did and it was the smartest thing this alcoholic had done in a long time
Old 04-18-2016, 07:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Would Urgent Care be that helpful I wonder? It's less money. It's hard to wait to see a doctor and I don't have a new one yet. If tapering off won't work for me and I can't follow the plan I think I'll go there.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Just a Girl Trying to Make It...

I did urgent care once, and they did help me but it wasn't as effective. They couldn't do an IV or prescribe the meds the ER did. It's definitely worth a shot, though, better than trying to do it alone!
Old 04-18-2016, 07:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The Urgent Care is attached to our clinic and staffed by some of the same doctors. Maybe I could just hang around the clinic all day. Then I won't be alone. . They have food and good coffee. The chairs are pretty comfortable. I'm only half joking.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lonelywombat67;5911009.
Also I need to apologize to anyone who sent me a message. I found I can't answer until I've posted at least 20 times.
You only need 5 posts in order to send Private Messages.

I think Urgent Care would vary as to how they would treat you as a detoxing patient, but it would be worth finding out what is available. I hope it goes well.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This is the message I get
To be able to post Visitor messages your post count must be 25 or greater. You currently have 14 posts.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

A PM is a private message between you and whoever you're sending it too.

A visitor message (or VM) is a public message on someone else's profile wall, that everyone can see

You can send PMs now, but not VMs

D