Notices

I feel awful :(

Old 04-18-2016, 02:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I feel awful :(

Hi everyone
I'm on day 11 and have woken up feeling terrible!
I have a headache,I'm anxious, dry mouth, I feel dizzy, a bit weird like I've been smoking weed but without the sense of euphoria, I'm knackered and my body aches all over!
I feel hungover!

I have just been reading about PAWS.
So interesting - I recommend everyone in recovery reads it.
When I first joined SR I skimmed through a sticky that Dee posted on PAWS - and didn't pay much attention because after day 4/5 I started to feel OK .

I'm so glad I read it as my sense of panic has lessened and I'm not going into a melt down about what I have done to myself over the years of heavy drinking.
I think a common symptom of a recovering addict is the worry of what we have done to out bodies.
I'm still too afraid to go to the doctor.

Also - I have lost my sense of humor completely!

I know this recovery can't be rushed but I really need to feel normal!
It's triggering me a little to maybe get something to take the edge off of the anxiety and the pain!
Maybe some codeine?
I'm not addicted to painkillers so maybe this would be OK?
I'm confused!
x
Old 04-18-2016, 02:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It usually gets better in time. Have you seen a doctor just in case? It shouldn't be a bad idea just in case.
One thing that has slightly helped me with paws in the past has been lemon juice extract.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In my experience each recovery has been the same while being different in many areas, for me for everything to get back to normal, whatever normal is, took a month.

Hoping you have a great day
Andrew
Old 04-18-2016, 02:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi overforty

Usually PAWs kicks in, if at all ofter the first 30 days, so it's possible this is still just the withdrawal, healing, and readjustment process the first time around.

I felt pretty ratty for the first month and it got better from there.

Of course if you're concerned UB's advice to see a Dr is pretty good

D
Old 04-18-2016, 02:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Seeing a doctor has to be a priority if you're really feeling bad. But if some personal experience helps, I remember times in the first month where I felt just bone tired and unable to move. I remember writing on SR that it felt like deep healing. I hope you feel better soon.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Codeine is not an option. Taking one addicting drug to get over another addictive drug has disaster written all over it.

Take a non addictive alternative and see your doctor
Old 04-18-2016, 03:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Overforty I had a horrendous headache on day 10 just after I'd started to feel a bit better. In fact I felt pretty awful and spacey for a couple of days but I just did the usual stuff around the home on autopilot and had some early nights. Now on day 20 I am soooo glad I pushed through it and I feel great and a lot more at peace. Keep going!
Old 04-18-2016, 06:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I broke out in cold sores after a week, then got sick on week two, then week 3-4 broke out all over my body in rash/pimples, then week five/six have had fatigue and pain in my legs. Intermittent headaches all weeks, which I never had before. It hasn't been a rose garden.
Visit a doctor if you can to make you feel better but I wouldn't get on codeine.
I got my sense of humor back after a couple weeks.

Keep on truckin'! I hear it really gets better and better; just takes a while.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Don't take any codeine. If you're feeling really bad, see your doctor.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Lots of good advice here overforty. As Dee says, PAWS is something that is normally POST acute withdrawal, you could still very well be dealing with acute or initial withdrawal. And in reality, PAWS is really just a collection of symptoms, not a disorder or disease in itself.

The symptoms you are having could be from a multitude of causes - both physical and psychological. We cannot diagnose them for you here though, you really should see a doctor if you are concerned about them.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that you feel better soon.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi overforty,

I can understand your thoughts about taking some codeine to help take the edge off, but that can lead to yet another addiction.

I stopped smoking pot and started drinking as a replacement. After 10+ years on a downward spiral I learned that alcohol is much worse than pot. Not that I'd advocate using either.

You may find that codeine is just another chemical succubus.

As others have suggested - see your doctor. Do what you can to help yourself.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi everyone
Thank you for the replies
I know taking codeine isn't the answer - I didn't take any - I braved out my 10 hour shift on my feet armed with a couple of ibuprofen and a couple of cups of coffee.

This hungover feeling is awful - I have no energy at all - I'm trying to follow all the advice, eat well, take vitamins - I cycle to work and have an active job where I run around like a maniac with little time to sit down.

I'm reluctant to see a doctor - I haven't been in years - just the thought of going makes me anxious!
I'm not really sure what I'm trying to say here - I guess I just want to thank you all for the advice and encouragement and to just share my feelings honestly with people that understand.

I know it's going to take time to feel better - and the best thing about it all is today I have no desire to drink - it's a small miracle!

I can't remember the last time I didn't want a drink - I think it's because I feel unwell - I usually want a drink when I feel good and alert - feeling dizzy, tired and hazy and a bit slow is a feeling I'm used to and bizarrely enough feel comfortable with.

Anyway - I'm not going to ramble on anymore - I'm going to get some water down me and beat this thing!
I'm bored of being broken!
xx

Last edited by overforty; 04-18-2016 at 02:07 PM. Reason: No paragraphs!
Old 04-18-2016, 09:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I woke up this morning at 4am
Has anyone had any luck with valerian root?
I tried it a couple of times as a sleep aid but it gave me nightmares!
x
Old 04-18-2016, 09:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by overforty View Post
I woke up this morning at 4am Has anyone had any luck with valerian root? I tried it a couple of times as a sleep aid but it gave me nightmares! x
I don't take it for the same reason. I had terrible dreams after taking that stuff.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm not a fan of valerian root... Drink plenty of fluids and get some rest... Staying busy is good... Hope you feel better soon!