Notices

My friend the drinker

Old 04-16-2016, 07:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My friend the drinker

I have a friend who is not only a good friend but my wife's much younger cousin. He (in my opinion) flirted with alcoholism for quite some time. He has every oppurnity to be an alcoholic as he was abandoned as a child and has worked himself to where he is, which is married, two kid and two large dogs. He is also the person who has come to the house and brought everything plus the kitchen sink and stayed and pushed my own sobriety to the brink.

Today he showed up while I was vacuuming and after I finished we sat and talked. At first it was a bit awkward as we used to start pouring booze and away we would go. Today he told me that he stopped drinking and I was able to share with him the same. It was different, it was a bit quiet and awkward. That being said, I am pretty happy about the whole thing. It was just more that I can add to my own sobriety toolbox. I see it as very selfish, but I also see it as someone who will wake up tomorrow living life sober. And I like that. People do....and can change. We should all believe in the hope that it can truly happen. He was a bit short, and wanted to eat and leave, and that was just fine. At the end of the day, it was not a drunken evening.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds like a change for the better for you both Jeff

D
Old 04-17-2016, 04:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome post Jeff