Notices

Jack Daniels

Old 04-16-2016, 04:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Jack Daniels

So I just noticed my son has a bottel of Jack in his room... I just can't help but to think what a glass on the rocks with a cigarette would feel right now. It's gorgeous outside and I just want to go to the back yard and chill with a drink. Today I tried to stay busy by doing some shopping and going out for lunch. I also got a sober glimpse of myself in a mirror and was horrified of how much weight drinking has caused. I felt so unattractive bit at least my skin looks a little better. But it's only day 4 but I can't cracked but can't stop thinking about my old friend jack that's hanging out upstairs in my son room
Old 04-16-2016, 04:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I'm sure that's hard, but, you know where one drink will take you. It's best that you eat a big bowl of ice cream instead. That always worked for me when I was craving a drink.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hang in, Tonib! Repeat after me: my worst moment sober is far better than my best moment drunk!
Old 04-16-2016, 04:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm about to head to the gas station and grab some ice cream. It's just so freaking nice out and all I smell is bbq grills and people sitting in their yards drinking ((
Old 04-16-2016, 04:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

And tomorrow lots of those people are going to wake up feeling lousy and wishing they had eaten ice cream instead and wondering if they have...a problem.

You can do this!
Old 04-16-2016, 04:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you choose ice cream instead of a drink. Nothing good ever comes from drinking.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Try to change how you view alcohol xo
Old 04-16-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

Bourbon (white trash whiskey) used to be my drink of choice. Now, 3.5 years later it means nothing to me. One day at a time, and it does get easier.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by tonib View Post
I'm about to head to the gas station and grab some ice cream. It's just so freaking nice out and all I smell is bbq grills and people sitting in their yards drinking ((
You smell the BBQ grills...but you can only assume people are drinking. Most of them are not actually, and most of the ones who are wont have more than one or two.

It's entirely possible to enjoy a nice day without alcohol. Enjoy your ice cream and the weather!
Old 04-16-2016, 05:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I have a dry house. Might be something to consider
Old 04-16-2016, 05:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Scott is right, Toni, I think it takes some changing of perspective and you can find other ways to really enjoy the beautiful weather. I just got back from a walk on the beach and I couldn't be happier.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Can you sit down with your son and explain how keeping bottles of alcohol in the house is a trigger to you? If that doesn't work can you just say no alcohol in the house? It is your house after all. Your sobriety comes first; above thinking about others and above being nice. We were selfish drinking and using and caused chaos for those around us, being selfish sober profits us and ultimately others.

I agree that most people bbqing are not drinking, or at least they are not getting drunk. In your mind you might see yourself having one drink and relaxing but be honest with yourself, how that ended in the past is exactly how it will end now.

I gained weight the first month or two and I didn't like it. I didn't start using heroin again because I gained weight, instead I started eating healthy and exercising. Do not use anything as an excuse to start drinking or using. Not gaining weight, not that you can't sleep, not that you are bored, not that you are depressed, not that you have to celebrate, not that all your friends drink/use..NOTHING. Instead start eating right and exercising, look at sleep med options/yoga/meditation/or speak with your doctor, depressed? counseling, antidepressants, exercise, etc, celebrating embrace your family and realize you are able to celebrate life events because you are sober, bored? get a hobby, find new friends, etc. you get the picture.

YOU CAN DO THIS
Old 04-16-2016, 05:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

don't romanticize, you'll just wake up hung over and depressed, one drink will turn into 10.

that life is in the past now, hit the gym instead and do some cardio, you'll feel better after 20 minutes.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I got off work today and thought about how great a glass of wine would be. Then I thought about how much better I'll be if I don't have any. The urge will pass so don't romanticize it, as was said above! A piece of grilled dead cow tastes better with water anyway!

When my urges are worst, I watch documentaries about people dying of cirrhosis or alcoholism or something to straighten out my thinking. Sick, but I have to fight fire with fire.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by yinzer View Post
I got off work today and thought about how great a glass of wine would be. Then I thought about how much better I'll be if I don't have any. The urge will pass so don't romanticize it, as was said above! A piece of grilled dead cow tastes better with water anyway!

When my urges are worst, I watch documentaries about people dying of cirrhosis or alcoholism or something to straighten out my thinking. Sick, but I have to fight fire with fire.
I don't know about you but i never had a glass of wine. A glass of wine is not even a good start
Old 04-16-2016, 08:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I didn't drink instead I just took my medicine that I absolutely can't drink with.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
I don't know about you but i never had a glass of wine. A glass of wine is not even a good start
Like I said, I was thinking how good a glass of wine would be. Didn't think about how lousy the next few would be. AV doesn't like to remind me of that.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Tonib, funny my son is just at the age of having drinks in his room. He quite often has a cider. It's not a drink I ever drank so doesn't bother me, but if it were red wine I think I would struggle with it. If your son doesn't know already it might pay to be honest with him and ask him not to have it in the house. He loves you, I'm sure he wouldn't mind. Keep strong buddy.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Jack is a thief no matter how persuasive and good looking he might seem.

He's one of those thief that robs you blind while you're not looking and then when confronted, persuades you to to cut off both arms, a leg, and hand over your soul while you appallingly oblige.