Notices

22 and binge drinking

Old 04-16-2016, 02:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy 22 and binge drinking

Hey!

So, I'm 22 and for a while I've known I have a problem. I can go out for a meal, a 'couple' of drinks and 9 times out of ten, I'm floored by the end of the night. I don't drink every day, but once I start I can't stop. I usually start on something like wine, but eventually end up on the double spirits and whilst my friends are on their first, I'm on my 4th.

I believe this all stems from my anxiety and wanting to become the more fun and likable version of me - but it's getting serious. I argue with my partner every time we go out, I storm off, wonder the streets on my own and I'm aggressive and vulgar. The fun stage doesn't last long before I turn nasty.

Also, I have Crohn's disease and drinking is a huge nope, but I do it anyway. Even if I drink in house, I can have a bottle of wine and then want to open another. I just feel without alcohol, I don't know how to be completely myself. I don't drink every day, I don't drink first thing, but I know I have a major problem.

Is this a form of alcoholism or something I need to learn to control? I'm ruining my relationships and pride. So I'd really appreciate your help! in advance!

Lewis
Old 04-16-2016, 03:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm 23. You aren't too young to hop on board the sobriety train. It's hard, but worth it, even if you have stumble and then walk back over your empty bottles.

Before I was actually able to legally buy my own 6 pack I was drinking alcoholically. By age 21 I was still drinking knowing I really should stop. Age 22 was my first medical detox, age 23 was my first set of seizures, throwing up blood, and all the rest.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome.

Originally Posted by LewisS View Post
Is this a form of alcoholism or something I need to learn to control? I'm ruining my relationships and pride.
You can't control your drinking if once you start, you can't stop. Is it alcoholism? I don't know. Sounds like a problem, whatever you call it. The solution is not drinking.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi! Binge drinker here too!
Things are waaaay better when you quit binge drinking.
It caused me a lot of problems too xo
Old 04-16-2016, 03:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, binge drinking is another form of alcoholism. Best thing to do is to stop altogether.

I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcoem Lewis

Good advice here already. I agree the best way not to drink yourself into a stupor is not to drink at all.

I also think the best way to find out who the real you is is to stay sober.

Is that something you'd consider?

D
Old 04-16-2016, 03:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you, Lewis - welcome.

I was the same way at 22 - once it was in my system, I never knew where it would take me. I wish I'd had the sense to stop back then - my life would've been so different. I'm glad you recognize that there's a problem - stopping all together is the only way to ensure your safety.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yep, you have the taste for it alright. Once you stop you can't stop says it all. Address it now before it gets serious and trust me it will, really serious. You're in the right place. Good luck
Old 04-16-2016, 05:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can get to know the sober you and begin to feel comfortable in your skin.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

I was drinking like that at 17 and ended up in rehab and AA at 21.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses!

Reading through these made me realise that this is pretty serious. Every time I read 'stop drinking'...I feel worry. I wouldn't know how to be me at any kind of social event. I often try to drink before I go to anything (parties etc.) so I'm one step ahead. I'd like to get to know the real me though, and for others to see the kind and quiet side of me. Not just a drunk that will make them laugh (usually at me).

Where do I start? :/
Old 04-17-2016, 12:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

By getting sober and knowing that it is the real you, no matter how uncomfortable to start. Slowly you will evolve. And don't forget to stay posted here.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Lewis having a plan is vital

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

Find your acceptance to the problem of alcoholism & break the chains
Old 04-17-2016, 09:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey, our drinking habits were similar and I got sober at 23, it really helped me to start therapy, exercise, and to find new hobbies. Changing my perspective and focusing on my health replaced drinking and was so much more rewarding. Oh an I utilized a lot of recovery programs along the way. There is lots of help out there -best of luck
Old 04-17-2016, 09:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but alcoholism (or whatever you choose to call it) is progressive and it always gets worse, never better. So you can take that information and use it how you see fit. I think its great that you recognize it at such a young age. You are wise beyond your years.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

There is no way to "control" being an alcoholic, the way you "control" it is by choosing not to drink any alcohol ever again. Each day you will need to wake up and make the decision to not drink and the more you make that decision the better the quality of your life, health, and relationships will be.

Welcome, read around and keep posting.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Hi Lewis I know the feeling. I have ulcerative colitis and have had a drinking problem for about 6 years and you're absolutely right IBD and alcohol don't mix well. Needless to say the best thing to do is not drink. I know it's hard I've come crawling back here again and again but am on day 3 now sober hoping to keep it that way.

You can do this it starts with sinply not drinking your guts will thank you for it
Old 04-17-2016, 03:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks all!

Will keep you posted on my progress. At the moment I feel too guilty and ashamed to want a drink anyway! But time will tell how long that feeling lasts.

Right now I'm still getting over a really bad night on Friday. Upset pretty much everyone. I wanted to go out tonight, but didn't, so that's good I guess! But did it more so for others than myself...
Old 04-18-2016, 01:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LewisS View Post
Thanks for the responses!

Reading through these made me realise that this is pretty serious. Every time I read 'stop drinking'...I feel worry. I wouldn't know how to be me at any kind of social event. I often try to drink before I go to anything (parties etc.) so I'm one step ahead. I'd like to get to know the real me though, and for others to see the kind and quiet side of me. Not just a drunk that will make them laugh (usually at me).

Where do I start? :/
It is hard, it was one of my biggest barriers as with alcohol I am a very social person, life and soul of the party. Without it am still personable but way more introverted and spend more time alone. I was so afraid of losing friends or offending people when I thought about being sober (I know how ridiculous that sounds now) and I was scared of spending all my time alone!
The reality has been that the majority of my 'alcohol' friends were just that and not real friends as I don't see or speak to any of them anymore so no real loss. My real friends are actually pretty respectful of my decision, everyone responds to it differently but I guarantee if you quit for good they will all pull you aside one by one and say how much respect they have for you as it is a HARD thing to do. It's not just alcoholics that struggle without drink in their lives.
Once you see life without alcohol you feel stronger, once you are stronger you are proud of who you are, then you live your life openly and with your heart on your sleeve. Trust me you'll be amazed at what your life can be without it pulling you down, physically, mentally and spiritually (I'm not religious).
You are younger than me and I think sometimes age can afford a bit more hindsight and give more credence to the decision to make the change however; it is never too early or too late!