Notices

My daughter

Old 04-15-2016, 01:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My daughter

Tonight while sitting playing with my kids my daughter of 11 years draws me this picture showing me with a bottle, her brother with an iPad and the police coming to ask if this is normal. I try to ask her about how she feels but I get no response. Words can not describe my feelings right now.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Kids are a lot smarter then we think. The good thing is that they will also notice if you stop drinking and all of the good things that come along with that.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

^^^^^^^^
Old 04-15-2016, 02:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Maybe your daughter finds it difficult to 'talk' about her worries but feels able to draw them...maybe you could look up some drawing based tools to help her share how she is feeling. One suggestion is 'Three Houses'...together you draw three houses, label one the house of good things, the next the house of worries and the third the house of hopes and dreams. Your daughter can then draw or write things in each of the houses. Wishing you well Teresia x
Old 04-15-2016, 02:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have a 6 year old daughter and she knows. When she left for school this morning she was really upset. I was hiding the fact id been using all night. I'm so ashamed x
Old 04-15-2016, 02:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I feel your pain! My daughter is almost 11 and has seen more than I would have liked and she's been through the scare of having to call 911 and have the ambulance / ER trauma. It is so hard to know that she has told her Dad that she "wishes Mommy just wouldn't drink".

I have not been perfect since then but have been trying very hard with a couple slips here for a couple of days and there in Jan, Feb and March. I have not slipped hard or long (fortunately).

It is really amazing how much closer we are already! We were close before but now it is even deeper and richer!

I think they really need the security of our consistency and reliability...and are quick to notice the differences in us...
Old 04-15-2016, 05:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Theresia

I think, if you continue to stay sober, that will be the abidign memory your daughter has of you and her childhood.

That sounds like something to work towards

D
Old 04-16-2016, 12:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Motivation

I have been struggling with sobriety, this incident Will make it easier to stay sober. Whenever I want to drink, I Will look at her drawing
Old 04-16-2016, 12:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great idea Teresia. I have a very special portrait my youngest son made for me for mother's day 2 years ago. He worked really hard gluing bits of paper to make a frame and painting me just so. I have it hung in a place of pride in my bedroom.
One morning I woke up and fount it crumbled in a ball by my bed. I didn't think I was "that duck" or that my behaviour was being noticed by him or my other son but obviously it was. And I was obviously so out if it with two children in the house that I went straight to bed/passed out without noticing the drawing the night of.

I immediately uncombed it and sat it under some books for a few day to restore it. It is now hanging back where it belongs and I don't every want to put myself or my kids in that position again.

You can do the same.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Feel for you, I've affected my daughter too, it's a killer I know.
I hope this is a turning point for you.
Love and good luck.
xx
Old 04-16-2016, 01:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I needed this, I want to stop and last week I took up excercise and made a plan. This will hopefully make the difference.