Notices

Six weeks tomorrow with mixed feelings

Old 04-14-2016, 03:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Six weeks tomorrow with mixed feelings

I know I should be feeling happy as I've done almost 6 weeks I've started therapy to work through things. But I feel depressed if I'm honest and a bit lost, emotionally I'm all over the place. Getting high anxiety
I feel like a nervous wreck. Feel like everyone else is having such a good time living life to the full I feel unmotivated I thought I'd have loads of energy and be super motivated.
I feel I have nothing to look forward to am not interested in going out as it doesn't involve drinking sad I know but truthful. My husband doesn't really get what I'm facing I feel alone and I'm bored so bored at moment.
Everything bugs me all I want to do is sit down and eat chocolate and watch rubbish. I feel I am a shell of my former self in fact who am I as I drank to hide my feelings for so long alcohol was my escape for a while until I woke up the next day etc... I know I must never drink again... But now what! Any suggestions!!!!
Old 04-14-2016, 03:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Jennifer - that is almost exactly how I felt at 6 weeks. Please be patient with yourself. You're healing & adjusting to a whole new way of life.

I drank to numb myself and cope with things too - and in the beginning nothing seemed fun or exciting. I was grateful to be rid of the poison in my system - and glad to have a clear head - but I was very sorry for myself. It took me about 3 mos. to begin to come out of the fog. Some people feel great right away - others take much longer. You will get there. I think it's good you're being honest & asking for input. We all understand.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Work through it all. You will get through all the pain and anxiety that you're feeling right now. Remember that this to shall pass. My experience was that I had to go through it all to grow. I didn't like it but I knew it was the only way. Drinking and using was not an option. Today happiness is slowly, I repeat slowly making it's way back into my life. Keep going one foot in front of the other with your head up. Try it. Hope this helps. Peace. ..out
Old 04-14-2016, 03:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Jennifer,
It will get better for you.
There are definitely peaks and valleys to this process. I'm currently feeling engaged in life but have had my apathetic low energy whats-the-point moments.
They all beat drinking days though because I know I am doing what I must do and that is a reward in itself.
Hang in there.
Jonathan
Old 04-14-2016, 04:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Start practicing gratitude every day. Each day find at least one thing or person you are thankful for. Gratitude makes you focus on the positives instead of the negatives. I was feeling discontented at about three months sober and it was suggested that I practice gratitude. It really changed my life for the better.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I was at an AA meeting last night and heard an interesting concept. An individual with 30 + years of sobriety said, "All quiting drinking ever did for me is turn me into a miserable SOB."

What he was saying is, "Our problem is our thinking not our drinking." When we sober up we get to a point of now what? I'm not happy and I still want to drink.

This at the point the real work begins. We need to honestly look at ourselves and start fixing the underlying causes of our alcoholism.

We need to create a new life. New people, new ideas, new places. I am a big AA fan because working the steps of AA gives you an instruction manual on how to heal our demons and create a different life. A life built on spiritual principles not on ego, resentments, dishonesty and selfishness
Old 04-14-2016, 04:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm nearly 6weeks sober and my mood is all over the place, have to agree totally with what Hevyn said, in fact I could have wrote that post word for word.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The first few months are hard, but it does get better. I was like you, I thought that everythig negative in my life would magically turn arounnd when I stopped drinking. Not so. It takes time and paience. At almost 19 months I am still a work in progress, but I could never have imagined I would be so content in sobriety and have so much peace. Give it ime. Try to do things you enjoy, and be patient and kind to yourself. It is well worth the effort!
Old 04-14-2016, 08:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am finally dealing with my communication issues with my husband.. Things were so lovely for the first few days after I started taking b vitamins(this is before I quit drinking) and I thought life was going to be perfect. Then the suddenly jolt of b-12 wore off and I was back to my tired self.. I'm on day 6, still taking lots of B vitamins and am feeling better but kinda blah again. Like well, guess I should deal with all the issues in my life instead of drinking them away.. Hubby and I had a good talk tonight though, and I can see hope
Old 04-14-2016, 09:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I managed a month on my own and felt like you do now. That's when I decided I needed to get some help and went to AA. There is found people who understood how I felt, literature all about how I felt, and a great 12 step guide to how to recovery and find some relief from how I felt without picking up a drink, or other compulsive behaviours.

And at the start of my journey I'd declared that AA seriously wasn't an option for me, because I n was worried that people might find out, and as a teacher I could sort all this out for myself. In those rooms I've met a lot of professionals (nurses, teachers, lecturers, solicitors, surgeons, counsellors, publishers, etc.) and that's helped me realise, that we can all do with some help in learning how to Live sober.

What have you changed in your life apart from not drinking? If you tell us what you've already tried then it'll be much easier for us to give helpful suggestions.

BB
Old 04-14-2016, 10:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have you got a hobby ? congratulations on your 6 weeks
Old 04-15-2016, 04:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the advice I am just going to stay busy and hope my mood lifts....I see my therapist next week he is going to do a one on one session with me like a group session ! but just us as I am not interested in a group discussion. I don't want to be recognised it's hard enough without people talking about me if I live in a massive city it wouldn't matter but I can't risk people finding out as I know they will judge me without a doubt.