Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Anyone else feel like the first 6 months had more downs then ups??

Notices

Old 04-12-2016, 11:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's about 3 and half months now , and I feel like I am all over the place like a rector scale stuck in the middle of Indonesia somewhere....

I have a Neuro appt next Friday for an EEG and I am skeered to death they are going to diagnose me as either Bipolar or Manic something..

Is this anywhere near Normal for recovery? Thought I'd feel some sense of calm , peace and tranquility by now...
Old 04-12-2016, 11:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Is anxiety normal in the first 3-6 months of sobriety ? yes it is normal I doubt your days in sobriety have brought you harm or shame I know it's tough but this where you reaching out & us responding makes all the difference

Breathing exercises help with anxiety but you also might want to speak to a Dr if it has persisted here's some links on beating anxiety through breathing exercises

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...er-thread.html

Im sure you have had good days in sobriety ?

Last edited by Soberwolf; 04-12-2016 at 11:55 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-12-2016, 12:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Trying...I have seen good things , I have witnessed good things...But with this derealization feeling , it's almost like I am watching a movie instead of being involved...

It's weird , my whole body just feels like an empty detached entity right now...

Now a lot of folks tell me it could be due to my sleep apnea issue as well. Which I just started on a CPAP 4 days ago..

Ahh , who knows...I'll just roll with it.....
Old 04-12-2016, 12:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's as if I have had to many sev 1 critical situations over the last few years , so the adrenaline pump is stuck on....I am trying to find a way to naturally turn that off.. Maybe some CBT would help , maybe it'll take a hypnotic intrvention to hit that off switch...
Old 04-12-2016, 12:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Meditation. That's a good way to turn off the adrenaline pump. It's easy, free and it will help you.

Congratulations on your recovery so far and good for you for continuing to move forward.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm only 8 days in, but definitely understand the all over the place feeling. Anxiety is not as bad as day 1 and as mentioned above breathing techniques help a lot. Keep strong..... congrats on your recovery
Old 04-12-2016, 12:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Anna , I try meditation , but then every muscle in my body starts to hurt and lockup..Then one of the 3 kids need something , or Father in Law needs something... ...Very very very little meditation time...

Heck , if I could just stop the constant leg , arm and neck burning , it would be a start I guess.

I'll have to read more about meditation when I get the chance ..
Old 04-12-2016, 12:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

yeah!

I get worried about the people who say they feel great with 3-6 months in.

The first year is an emotional roller coaster. Gradually some stability sets in.

Don't worry, it's normal to be all over the place. Likewise, you still bounce off the walls trying to find the center of the room no matter how long you are clean, but the room gets a lot smaller over time.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm 3 and a half months too and my anxiety is also through the roof and its not helping with me trying to make major decisions. My head is like a washing machine going round and round and round occasionally going into a full blown spin!!

I am trying to write things down and say to myself once I have written it down I must try and forget about it for 24 hours or whatever. I am also taking some herbal remedies.

If I can let go of these major decisions and decide to leave it for a while it would be for the best but I just can't let it rest arghhh! and so it goes on...

Apologies I don't feel like I have been any help but at least you know I am in a very similar situation
Old 04-12-2016, 01:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ivan and Martina! OK....so I am not crazy..OK , maybe a little crazy depending on perspective...You have no idea how much this helps...

So if I am feeling nuts at this point , well , it's because I am nuts , which is normal...

Sounds weird , but I'll work with it...

Thank you huge..

Now will wait for the rooms to shrink a little over time and a washing machine to spin down....

Old 04-12-2016, 01:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This upcoming Neuro EEG has me on edge anyways...It's really the last in a very long series of Dr's appt's , which so far have pointed to anxiety, TMJ and sleep apnea...I just nervous has hellll that this EEG will be the one thing that says "Yer a gonner , stuck like this forever..".. I keep throwing up prayers and relying on God for a favorable outcome.... Last EEG was 15 years ago after a car wreck , which only pointed to ADD and anxiety...I can only hope nothing has changed except my choice of ADD medication(the kind in a can)..
Old 04-12-2016, 01:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

No! You are not alone! I too am at 3 1/2 months and the anxiety was through the roof. I finally caved in and let my addictions psychiatrist prescribe medication along with an amino acid and vitamins . It is helping, but I also go to AA, IOP and have a threrapist. I laughed last nigh at a meeting because a guy told me "Somebody shoulda' warned you that you would be Ape- sh!! crazy for a few months!" Well no one warned me, not even my recovering alcoholic father! I am trusting God and the people around me when they say, it gets better as the brain returns to "normal" functioning. For a while, my only question was, Am I going to be stuck like this forever? I got a resounding "No" every time. I find coming here helps ALOT! Plus there is so much great information. Dee 74 (the moderator) provided a GREAT website that gives some expections on the recovery process that you may want to check out. It really helped me. Best wishes!
https://digital-dharma.net/post-acut...r-immediately/
Old 04-12-2016, 01:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Stillpooh...I appreciate the feedback..Yeah , ape-sh*** sounds about right...

BTW , not sure if still-Pooh has anything to do with Winnie the Pooh...But the Towne I live is used to be called "1000 Acre Woods".. So yeah...There's a little Pooh reference here too..

Hopefully you don't still feel like Pooh..

For the time being , I just keep playing a song in my head "Jesus Take the Wheel"..
Old 04-12-2016, 01:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

BTW , which amino acids are you using? I may swing by GNC to see what they have...
Old 04-12-2016, 01:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The first 6 months can be all over the place. I was all over the place for about a year. Don't let that discourage you. Everyone's body is different. It will get better with time. Meditation and relaxation techniques help a lot. Eating good whole foods can help a lot. Watch your sugar intake. Please don't give up. It will get better with time. I'm almost at the 5 year mark, and I can tell you that it does get better.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Yeah, my feelings are pretty skittish three months into recovery -- good and bad days. I have noticed that they're not as intense nowadays. I've also found that mindfulness -- observing my emotions consciously as they unfold -- is a big help in keeping them from getting extreme.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

You're definitely not alone. I remember reading about people who were 3 - 6 months sober and talking about how wonderful they felt and thinking WTF is wrong with me?? I physically felt better because I was sober but mentally I was a wreck for quite a long time. I'm still not in great shape in that department. ;-) Being sober forces you to deal with thoughts and emotions that you used to be able to ignore with alcohol. It takes some getting used to. Don't give up. It will get better.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I felt better because I had a weight lift off me, but I didn't feel 'good' for many months.

I still preferred my not drinking life to my drinking one tho

A lot of it is attitude, I think...I kept telling myself I was lucky to be alive

D
Old 04-13-2016, 05:01 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank ya'll...This outlook definitely helps...One half my brain thinks it's about to lose it , the other half jumps in and says CALM down , yer fine..Somewhere in the middle , tears start running...Then out of humor to myself, I ask "Is this male menopause???? WTF"... Good Lord...
Old 04-13-2016, 05:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nofearnobeer View Post
Thank ya'll...This outlook definitely helps...One half my brain thinks it's about to lose it , the other half jumps in and says CALM down , yer fine..Somewhere in the middle , tears start running...Then out of humor to myself, I ask "Is this male menopause???? WTF"... Good Lord...
I'm right there with you! I want to get off the roller coaster and, for life to even out! A while back I read somewhere, "Don't quit until the miracle happens". That's just what I'm gonna do. Trust that it will get better.