Notices

I don't know where to start

Old 04-11-2016, 09:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I don't know where to start

I'm 22, excessive drinking became an issue almost as soon as I turned 18 and could legally buy alcohol, mostly due to mental health issues I was having at the time. My mental health has improved but drinking has become a real issue, I've spent maybe 7 days a year sober over the last 3 years, if that, and it now affects almost every aspect of my life. I'm going nowhere and I hate it, I struggle to get anything done as I would prefer to just drink and watch youtube, even though I know it's having major negative effects both in how I live my life and my mental and physical states. Does anyone have any advice on just where to begin? I'm so sick of wasting my life. AA is not something I see as an option, both because I live in a very small town where if they do have a meeting (i'm not sure) I would be afraid to see someone I know, but I also don't see a program where I need to have faith in a higher power as something that would work for me. If anyone has other suggestions that have worked for them it would be very appreciated.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Hi there,

Welcome, and thanks for letting us know how you're feeling. Rest assured that many people here know how you feel and have been in your shoes.

Where to begin? Don't drink. It really is that simple, it's just not that easy. It's good that you recognize that it's having negative effects on your life and you want to change that. That's a start.

There are many options out there other than AA. There are some really good sticky post in the forums that detail out books you can read and other groups you can try (Rational Recovery, SMART, etc.). You can always post here, too.

Good luck to you.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Iridescent
Old 04-12-2016, 01:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to, Iridescent! I'm glad you found us here.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome!!
Old 04-12-2016, 08:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

In my experience, the best thing I did for my mental health (anxiety and depression) was to quit drinking and quit for good. Alcohol is a depressant of your whole nervous system. And the big withdrawal symptom for me was anxiety. So eliminating the booze for good fixed these things to a great extent.

Make this a priority in your life, and do what you need to do to see it through. Life really is so much better sober, and you deserve this.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

glad your here with us.....much support & encouragement here!
Old 04-12-2016, 08:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Maybe start by using the things you already have to your advantage. One is you are young, that's a plus. Two, you recognize you have a problem and are reaching out. Three, you want to stop.

Maybe see if a Dr. can help you with your psychological issues and regarding alcohol, this forum has helped many many people. Also, AA is not the only structured recovery program, there are many others. Folks here will inform you about them. Don't drink away the next 30 years of your life.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Having a plan is really important and this is a Sticky we have with lots of different plans and ideas for recovery:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 04-12-2016, 03:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Joining here is a great start iridescent

how are you doing?

D