Low Self Esteem Days

Old 04-11-2016, 12:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Low Self Esteem Days

Hello friends! I'm here to draw upon the collective wisdom of the group. Years ago when I was still in private practice, two work friends and I coined the phrase "low self-esteem days" to describe those days where you just generally feel crappy about yourself for no real discernable reason.

I am having one of those days today. Nothing has happened, that I can think of, to trigger it. I just feel very "blah," and that feeling seems to have landed squarely on the shoulders of my self-esteem.

What do you all do when your self-esteem needs a boost, and you need to add a little pep to your step?
Old 04-11-2016, 12:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

One thing that works for me is to take care of some ugly task I've been putting off (there's never any shortage for me!). Even something like getting all my bills paid or making some appointments I've been dreading, or cleaning up my messy kitchen will make me feel like I got SOMETHING accomplished.

Other than that, I just wait it out. Sometimes I think I just didn't sleep well or had disturbing dreams I don't remember, and it's just thrown me off-kilter for a day. Usually the feeling is gone the next day, so I wouldn't be surprised if it were something along those lines.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

sometimes there isn't a direct correlation between some event and how we feel......or its something subtle and innocuous, like a bit too much sugar the day before, or being dehydrated, or some bizarre dream that we don't even recall......here in the PNW even the barometric pressure can effect mood..........bottom line, it is totally OK to have a down day. we don't have to try and FIX it. we can learn to just let it be, without immediately wanting to change it. embrace the totality of our spectrum of feelings.

i stepped on the scales this morning and that sort of set me off. i mean, dammit all............anywho, so i fussed and grumbled for a while, but still kept moving forward with my day (out of all the excuses i've used for work, i've never called in FAT). while i'm not also having a BAD hair day, it's not my BEST hair day either....and finally it was like, oh SCREW it, this is just going to HAVE to be good enough, cuz this is the best i got right now.............so here i come world, ready or not!!!

and when they brought in DONUTS for the new gal's first day, i went ahead and had me half a maple bar - and some orange juice. cuz why the heck not!?
Old 04-11-2016, 02:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wisconsin View Post
Hello friends! I'm here to draw upon the collective wisdom of the group. Years ago when I was still in private practice, two work friends and I coined the phrase "low self-esteem days" to describe those days where you just generally feel crappy about yourself for no real discernable reason.

I am having one of those days today. Nothing has happened, that I can think of, to trigger it. I just feel very "blah," and that feeling seems to have landed squarely on the shoulders of my self-esteem.

What do you all do when your self-esteem needs a boost, and you need to add a little pep to your step?
For me it just depends on the day. Honestly, sometimes I find I just need a good cry. Other days, weather permitting of course, I'll step outside for a brisk walk. Bonus if the sun is shining. But, no matter what, it'll help get your serotonin levels up! Sometimes I'll curl up with my cats on the couch and snuggle. Their purrs almost always make me feel better. And a lot of times I'll watch a silly TV show that I enjoy just because. Sometimes I'll grab dinner some place special... Just something to make me feel good. And a lot of times I'll smile at strangers and say hello. Because most of the time they'll say hello back and that makes me feel good. I also have some of those intricate coloring books for adults and a nice set of colored pencils because coloring makes me happy and takes my mind off of stuff. And if you can find a friend nearby you can always ask for a hug. Sometimes that's all we need.

Thinking of you on what has been a day rather like what you described for me, too.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hit the gym

Run a few miles and do some heavy lifting
Old 04-11-2016, 05:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There MUST be something in the air. I was having quite a "blah" day all day myself. I allowed myself to wallow for a little bit and then, albeit begrudgingly at first, forced myself to cook. Feeling much better now. Nothing like cooking a delicious meal to set yourself right again.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I go to a traditional Korean bath Spa. Get in the heated rooms specifically the rock salt room and gold room. Do that till I am seated out then grab a mat and take a nap. Then I go to the ice and heat pools. In one, then the other. I finish with a body scrub. On blah days I feel toxic, and its a great way to relax and get rid of it.

If I can't make it there then I go for exercise.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I feel that way when I am overworked and tired. There is always a reason. Have not slept well, hungry, miss somebody, something, feel lonely. Resting well, being gentle to myself, postponing work, talking to my family, talking to neighbors, playing with my dog, cleaning house (yes, even that), taking care of my flowers, finding new hobbies (making a bird house of balsa wood now, really fun) usually help a lot.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

As a depressive I kinda deal with these type of days pretty regularly. Here are some suggestions:

1) exercise of any kind for any length of time
2) write out a done list (for the day, or week)
3) tidy up your junk drawer
4) do anything outside
5) get yourself some time with children or fuzzy animal
6) read a comfort book or watch a comfort movie
7) do something involving water: bath, shower, swim
Old 04-11-2016, 07:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Personally, what I did do, was take out the worst case that I didn't really want to work on, and just plow through it. I then knew it was done, and it lifted the burden in me.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, All of the Above. Ditto to everything. Exercise, cooking, yoga, massages, mandalas, reading, indulgent tv, a good cry, getting back to Nature, extra water, extra sleep, a little chocolate never hurts no matter what.

Sometimes I just reach out to a friend and tell them I want to talk about anything BUT me. It helps to focus fully on someone else for a while & a good friend will pick me up out of a fugue without even needing to ask why I'm there at all.

Personally, I'm STILL rehabbing that dollhouse (it's been years now) so that's always an easy go-to project for me to just dive into & focus on intently.

But I think the key for me is recognizing if the "fix" I'm trying isn't working & move on to trying something else instead of frustrating myself further. It really depends on what's driving it like others pointed out - fatigue, hormones, bad dreams, unknown, lol.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone. Sometimes I get stuck in my own head about this kind of thing, and that also prevents me from really thinking clearly about ways I can cope and work my way out of it all. I always start with HALT, and most of the time that gives me insight into why I'm in a funk. But I always value hearing other folks' go-to strategies for coping with days like this, even when I can identify pretty clearly WHY I'm in a funk. It's so easy to get in a rut, especially when your schedule is super busy.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It's kind of already been said, but for me, I try to do whatever it is that seems to be the last thing in the world I feel like doing. Some days that could mean going to the gym...other days, doing a task around the house that I've been putting off. Or lately, I'll hit up an al-anon meeting. Hugs to you, Wisconsin!
Old 04-12-2016, 10:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

((Wisconsin))

sending you BIG PINK HUGS & hoping today is filled with lots of pinkness