Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I am so relieved that I'm not a cause for concern for my family anymore

Notices

Old 04-10-2016, 10:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just a moment ago I felt a huge sense of relief as I realized that I'm not a cause for concern for my family anymore. As I got better, they got better. I never saw that it affected them so much, but now that I'm two months sober, they are so much more happy and relaxed as well.

And the second thing is that I get to spend quality time with them now. Without me being "half-there" with a hangover. Or agitated because I'm planning how to get away from them and get beer again.

That was so horrible. In hindsight I can truly see that. Now I can be relaxed, not worry about the time and be there with them fully, having a good time.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's great that you feel that way Mike. One of the greatest things about getting sober for me was repairing those relationships. Like you, I didn't really understand what I put them through.

I will caution you a little bit here though. I don't want want to sound like a wet blanket but 2 months is a very short period of time. The title to your thread indicates a sense of finality, as if you have achieved peace of mind...for your family. That kind of thinking caused problems for me. I had a tendency to think FOR other people and spend time on that rather than what I needed to do for myself.

I know that it has taken several years, even in sobriety, for my family to disclose to me the pain they felt. It didn't go away in 2 months.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

That's awesome Mike sounds like an amazing feeling keep up the good work!