Notices

What are common causes of relapse?

Old 04-09-2016, 09:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What are common causes of relapse?

I am wondering what are some common causes of relapse. I have several sisters I was in rehab with who have relapsed in less than a month. That is kinda scary! I have not had the desire to drink at all and keep hearing we relapse before the first drink, so, what are some common causes?
Old 04-09-2016, 09:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Stress, overconfidence, lack of motivation, failure to develop a solid plan, the absence of a true desire to quit ... I imagine there are as many explanations for relapses as there are relapsers. But the final cause is picking up the drink and not saying "no", and that is common to all of us who have lapsed.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me, a few days of moderate drinking.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Stress, re-exposure, emotions (anger, anxiety, lonliness), being around people who share your addiction.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh and my number one, boredom!
Old 04-09-2016, 09:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

With me it's always a shock or upset of some description
Old 04-09-2016, 09:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Not making systemic changes in our lives including the need to work an active program of recovery.

Alcoholism is but a symptom of the underlying problems
Old 04-09-2016, 09:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Usually for me it was a resentment. I have to avoid 'poor me' issues like the plague!
Old 04-09-2016, 09:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Complacency .... Thinking that I'm not really an addict
Old 04-09-2016, 10:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Wanting to drink more than you want to be sober.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks every body! I really want to avoid the pitfalls! Scary to see my sisters falling so quickly.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Not reaching out
Not playing the tape
Non Acceptance
Not having a plan
Not phoning a trusted friend
Old 04-09-2016, 10:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Loss and grieving, particularly unexpected. In the course of 18 months three of my dogs went from happy and seemingly healthy to dead in a matter of days and it ripped me apart every time.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My biggest triggers are frustration/anger and music (of all things). I've learned to better manage situation that would irritate me, and I've stopped listening to ALL music. I just had to that.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Relationships
Old 04-09-2016, 10:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

resting on our laurels
Old 04-09-2016, 10:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I can relapse over anything. I've had a bad day, I've had a good day, I'm stressed, I'm angry, I'm thrilled, I'm happy. Doesn't matter. For me, when my recovery is headed in the right direction, my thinking is healthy. I am in control of my emotions. I am choosing how to react to things that are out of my control. I am aware that I'm not a victim and that I choose how I'm treated. No one can make me angry, hurt me, take advantage of me, stress me out, unless I let them. No situation can do anything to me that I'm not a party to. I always have a choice. When I allow myself to be in situations or with people that are not healthy for me, I'm playing the victim and allowing myself to be triggered. Or if something bad does happen (an accident or something else out of my control) I can either accept that this is life and bad things do happen. Or I can sing the 'woe is me, I'm such a victim' song.

I don't know if any of that makes sense, but part of recovery for me is realizing that anything is a trigger if I want it to be.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

Only one.

Deciding to use.

In the NA "how it works" reading it says "the only way to keep from returning to active addiction is not to take that first drug".

Using "just a bit" or a different drug (including alcohol) doesn't contribute to or lead to relapse, it is relapse.

Why do people decide to start using again? In my experience watching my peers, talking to members ir NA with more experience, reading the literature, and wrestling with my own feelings I've come to a few conclusions.

Real life shows up. Everything doesn't become rainbows and unicorns when we get clean. We have to deal with real emotions. We seem to feel life so strongly that we are willing to do anything to escape it, even if it kills us. We become willing to trade a moment's relief "right now" for a lifetime of pain and suffering. We also struggle with guilt and shame and low self worth and self esteem. That can make us wish to escape. We also seem to believe that any discomfort or urges we feel will never go away. "This too shall pass" makes no sense to us.

Having said all that, when we want to use, any excuse will do.

The only way to not relapse is to not get loaded. However, I have found that the process of recovery (in my case the steps), association with other recovering addicts, and the willingness to take guidance and direction from those who have been in the same depths of despair that I was but have found a way out, all contribute to a state of mind where I no longer want to use. I like who I have become now.

Recovery isn't easy, but it is worth it. Get used to most of the people around you relapsing. It's not that recovery plans don't work, it's that people stop (or never start) following them.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I agree with almost everything mentioned. For me, the biggest cause is overwhelming emotion-anger, sadness, regret, even happiness at times. I drank to keep feelings bottled in. Learning how to deal with my feelings and not drink them away is my challenge. I am working on mindfulness based relapse prevention right now and that is helping so far, and not just with alcohol, but food too, which I also abuse.

Good luck to you! You're smart to be prepared!
Old 04-09-2016, 03:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Not having a plan.

Not having a backup plan.

Not using the plan.

Justifying not using the plan.