Notices

New to Recovery with Medication

Old 04-09-2016, 07:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question New to Recovery with Medication

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself. I am new to recovery and I have had good and bad experiences with some people in the 16 groups in 16 days that I have gone to. The closest female friend of mine says that my medication is fine for my mental and physical disorders. A little history:
Mental Health Issues - PTSD, Anxiety, Panic Disorder, Manic Depression in Partial Remission with Medication. I take Klonopin and am prescribed 2 mg a day. Sometimes I take 1 mg and sometimes 2 mg. Yesterday another female friend who is married to a Psychologist said that I should not take Klonopin? I told her I take it as prescribed and am aware of the link between the brain receptors (klonopin vs. alcohol), however I take it as prescribed and if I were to keep upping my dose or abuse my prescription then I would know I have a problem. I feel fine with my sobriety taking it. Now I feel that I should hide the fact that I take medicine. People have also asked if I take RX Painkillers because I have: Chronic Pain, Fibromyalgia, Nerve Damage, Osteoarthritis, and some painful female problems. I have taken Vicodin before but have not been on it for almost a year. In fact the only thing I use are Lidocaine Patches - If I need them. I also don't pop Advil or Aleve like candy. This same person that suggested I stop taking Klonopin suggested I take more OTC pain relievers. Isn't the only condition of becoming a member of AA to abstain from alcohol? If I were a pill addict I would be in NA, but I have legitimate reasons for taking the Klonopin and my other mental medications that I have to take every evening. Any thoughts on how to deal with members approaching with these personal questions? I go to a meeting with over 300 people tonight.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What does your doctor say?

Recovery group rules don't override medical opinions, IMO. If you're taking your meds as prescribed, it's your business, not theirs.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

I agree with following your doctors advice. Have you informed your doctor about being an alcoholic?
In my opinion, if you are taking necessary medication as prescribed you are fine.

Best wishes
Old 04-09-2016, 07:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

It's none of their business what your doctor and you decide.....

I hear them giving you opinions and not sharing experience. Don't listen to those opinions!
Old 04-09-2016, 07:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The meds you are prescribed are between you and your doctor, no one else. That is inappropriate for them to tell you what to take or not take. Ignore them.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Recovery
Old 04-09-2016, 10:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Recovery
I have PTSD, GAD and alcoholism....so dual diagnosis. I wish I could take benzo's (of which Klonopin is one) but there isn't a dr that I have met that will prescribe them to an alchie. I don't abuse them either but they are undeniably very addictive. Most drs. will only prescribe them for short term use (no more than 2 weeks). That being said there are drs that will keep prescribing. I would suggest doing some research and talking to your dr about possible alternatives if you are worried about addiction (some SSRI's work along with Seroquel). But if you're not worried about it and its working for you? Then its no one else's business. But being addicted to benzos is brutal so if you are concerned there are probably options that your dr can suggest.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Recovery!!
Old 04-09-2016, 03:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR

yeah it's between you and your Dr

http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-11_...ersMedDrug.pdf

Linked with the permission of Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.

D