Notices

Loneliness/loner

Old 04-08-2016, 05:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Loneliness/loner

Hey all of SR

As i was relaxing this evening I just wondered how many people dealt with or struggled with their sobriety 'alone'?

I have always been a loner even though I am a very confident individual I have always to a certain extent enjoyed my own company. 90% of my sobriety has been dealt alone albeit a few friends and my family knowing.

My addiction spanned far and wide, affecting many lifes inc family and (ex) loved ones.

I was just curious how people bridged the gap (if you did)? Did you persevere alone with support, with family and support, flood the help gates and let people in or still trying to find your formula.

Maybe together we can help
Old 04-08-2016, 06:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I no longer see the addiction counselor and live alone (with my dogs and cats) and don't have much of a social life. I am pretty much going it alone, except for participating in SR. I'm doing great at over six years.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I no longer see the addiction counselor and live alone (with my dogs and cats) and don't have much of a social life. I am pretty much going it alone, except for participating in SR. I'm doing great at over six years.
Ha my cats are my life apart from when they fight! lol

I think for me the lack of social life is a good thing as my whole previous "life" was built around getting drunk beforehand. Makes sense 'least'
Old 04-08-2016, 06:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I dealt with mine mostly alone. Only my brother and a close friend knew of my struggles. I lived alone, wasn't dating anyone at the time, and managed to quit on my own. No programs, or help. Well, my dog was a big source of solace for a time. Pets are wonderful for their unconditional love. They can show you, that you still have value.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BikerAcct View Post
I dealt with mine mostly alone. Only my brother and a close friend knew of my struggles. I lived alone, wasn't dating anyone at the time, and managed to quit on my own. No programs, or help. Well, my dog was a big source of solace for a time. Pets are wonderful for their unconditional love. They can show you, that you still have value.

Thats awesome, how do you maintain your ongoing sobriety?
Old 04-08-2016, 06:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am all in favor of people helping people, but some people don't really help, even though they think they do, if that makes any sense.

Sometimes, the BEST thing for recovering addicts is to get away from all their old friends and even family who were part of their life in addiction; who somehow fed into the problem. Some people are well-meaning, but are still mean. Some people are self-righteous, but mean in trying to "correct" you.

Know yourself and what it is you need to be healthy and whole, that's my best advice...sometimes you need to be alone to really "know" yourself; know your LIMITS, know what really feeds you with "good food"; know what helps you grow in the right direction, know what HINDERS you from making good progress; know what's healthy and what's not; know what you need to really HEAL and what is just a "band-aide".
Old 04-08-2016, 06:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dean1978 View Post
Thats awesome, how do you maintain your ongoing sobriety?
I wish I could answer that easily. I just do.

I think it's because the habit has been broken, and I don't want it to restart. I honestly don't think about alcohol much at all. Even when I go to bars, which I do with some frequency to watch bands and on motorcycle runs during the summer. I either order pop, or an energy drink.

I'm luck that most of the people I know or ride with, aren't pushy either. If I'm offered a drink and say no, no-one has ever tried to force one on me, or talk me into it.

The only way to stay sober...is to just decide to do it. Much like anything else in life I suppose.

Sorry, that was pretty much a non answer, but it's all I got
Old 04-08-2016, 06:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by teatreeoil007 View Post
I am all in favor of people helping people, but some people don't really help, even though they think they do, if that makes any sense.

Sometimes, the BEST thing for recovering addicts is to get away from all their old friends and even family who were part of their life in addiction; who somehow fed into the problem. Some people are well-meaning, but are still mean. Some people are self-righteous, but mean in trying to "correct" you.

Know yourself and what it is you need to be healthy and whole, that's my best advice...sometimes you need to be alone to really "know" yourself; know your LIMITS, know what really feeds you with "good food"; know what helps you grow in the right direction, know what HINDERS you from making good progress; know what's healthy and what's not; know what you need to really HEAL and what is just a "band-aide".
Great insight TeeTree and totally agree. It is your journey, and deep down I guess its all our journey. My comment wasnt to belittle or make things easier, moreso on how people dealt with theres and moved forward as some are more lucky than others etc.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have used SR for recovery for years, but beyond that, it's just me. And, books too, and my cat.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I have used SR for recovery for years, but beyond that, it's just me. And, books too, and my cat.
Cate are King! I have 5
Old 04-08-2016, 06:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BikerAcct View Post
I wish I could answer that easily. I just do.

I think it's because the habit has been broken, and I don't want it to restart. I honestly don't think about alcohol much at all. Even when I go to bars, which I do with some frequency to watch bands and on motorcycle runs during the summer. I either order pop, or an energy drink.

I'm luck that most of the people I know or ride with, aren't pushy either. If I'm offered a drink and say no, no-one has ever tried to force one on me, or talk me into it.

The only way to stay sober...is to just decide to do it. Much like anything else in life I suppose.

Sorry, that was pretty much a non answer, but it's all I got
No that makes total sense, dont apologise. Its good that you have found that place in life where alcohol is a minority and i bet that is a refreshing
Old 04-08-2016, 07:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I did it alone, as my husband is still a daily drinker. I read everything regarding recovery that I could get my hands on. I was sober for over a year before I joined SR, but had "lurked" a few months prior to joining. Now it (SR) is a huge part of my ongoing recovery, and I am very thankful for it.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Alone here except for my boyfriend knowing, who I live with. Online company by way of SR, but not IRL. And I am taking a break from most people and the outside world right now.

Although as for the recovery I may attend a meditation based group here, possibly. Now I have some momentum going from sheer grit and SR friends, maybe I'll keep it rolling with a weekly group meditation.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

@sleepie and @formerwinegirl is shows life, drink type and expactations,knows no bounds and thank you
Old 04-08-2016, 07:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good luck Dean1978.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like Anna SR was instrumental in my recovery & I had great support from Mrs Dee...but yeah if you mean structured programmes or whatnot, I pretty much relied on myself.

It worked for me

D
Old 04-08-2016, 08:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Completely alone except for tons of inspiration from SR.
My wife knew I drank too much and was very supportive when I decided to quit but even she doesn't know the extent of it. She would have been horrified to know what my drinking really looked like. I don't know that I'll ever feel the need to tell her. It would bring up so many years of deceit and sadness that I prefer to just pressing on soberly with her quite happy with the new me, minus the whole revelation.
Like my drinking, I'm keeping my sobriety private unless I change my thinking down the road. It's such a personal issue.
One view.
Thanks for posting.
Jonathan

Last edited by Zufrieden; 04-08-2016 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 04-08-2016, 09:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm one of those who has been going it alone. I've been 115 days sober and although it's been hard, it's worth it. Only a few close friends and no family members know I have struggled with alcohol. When asked to go drinking or offered a drink or when people question my not drinking I just say "I'm not much of a drinker" anymore. I'm a very private person with things this personal. I've never been to an AA meeting or anything, but forums like this do offer me some support. Tonight I was feeling extremely lonesome, so I appreciate your post. I know I'm not the only one fighting alone.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Count me in as going it alone, except for my kids, dog and cat. I honestly think the kids help keep me sober. They would be so disappointed if I went back to drinking. My mom, dad and sister know, plus a few close friends. That's the way I want to keep it.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I live alone and when I got Sober a lot of drinking buddies went by the wayside, so there were months when I would go to work, come home, be alone and not talk to anyone about very much in real life.

SR bridged that gap, everyone knows who they are, those fellow SR members that became so important in my life very quickly!!