Notices

I want to drink...

Old 04-08-2016, 05:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I want to drink...

I am regretting beginning Antabuse because I really want to drink right now. Today is the third day I took it at dose 500mg. Last took it a couple hours ago. Very tempted to go out and get some nips.. How sick would I get? Guess there is only one way to find out. .
Old 04-08-2016, 05:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have no experience with that, but I've heard people can get pretty sick from doing that. Why not take advantage of the three days of sobriety you already have and add more sober time? Is a drink worth getting very sick over? Get some sober time under your belt.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Please don't find out how sick you would get. I've heard it's awful.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

There is obviously a reason you started taking Antabuse. Remember why you started. Either you want to live a sober life or you don't. You have to want to be sober more than you want to drink. You have three days...why start drinking again even if you didn't get sick?
Old 04-08-2016, 05:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

How about focusing on not drinking instead Charx? You don't want to end up in the ER..

Antabuse or not, you're going to have to learn that cravings are not imperatives - we don't have to act on them.

you can get through them, they do pass, and you can stay sober

Here's some great tips to help:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D
Old 04-08-2016, 06:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I have seen the results of people drinking on Antabuse. It is awful. Like near-alcohol poisoning times ten.

First--make sure you're not hungry. That's the biggest and easiest to fix trigger out there.

You don't have to drink today. Also keep water close by at all times. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Post on here once a minute. Or go for a long walk. Take a hot bath. Watch some bad television. Sit on your hands. Run a marathon. Paint your kitchen. Wash your dog. Write in a journal. Just don't take that first drink no matter what. The thoughts/cravings will pass. They always do.

Stay close. SR is open 24/7.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Drinking on Antabuse would be plain stupidity. How much do you value your life?

I have become violently ill drinking days after taking Antabuse.

Don't do it
Old 04-08-2016, 06:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Why drink? you are on it for a reason.

You need to sort you relationship with alcohol first. It would be enough to scare me stupid and luckily havent needed it
Old 04-08-2016, 06:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've seen someone drink just a little while on Antabuse. He really suffered. That's why you're taking it: so you won't drink.
Get busy and get distracted.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's lots of good advice here. I hope you reconsider and stay safe tonight.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I found this and I really liked it. I was searching for quotes about sobriety and came across it.

"I wanted a drink. There were a hundred reasons why a man will want a drink, but I wanted one now for the most elementary reason of all. I didn't want to feel what I was feeling, and a voice within was telling me that I needed a drink, that I couldn't bear it without it.

But that voice is a liar. You can always bear the pain. It'll hurt, it'll burn like acid in an open wound, but you can stand it. And, as long as you can make yourself go on choosing the pain over the relief, you can keep going".
Old 04-08-2016, 07:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

As your post suggests, there is a difference between a want and a need. We want a drink, we need air.

Hope you made it through as it sounds like it would be pretty awful if you drank.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by charx53 View Post
I am regretting beginning Antabuse because I really want to drink right now. Today is the third day I took it at dose 500mg. Last took it a couple hours ago. Very tempted to go out and get some nips.. How sick would I get? Guess there is only one way to find out. .
I will be completely honest here and ask what you expected from us? You have been giving a chance (more than most people could dream of)

You alcohol isnt helping those who want/deserve when you want more alcohol, your treatment isnt dealing with but you 1 seem expectant and 2 you are meaning those other individuals have to wait for you.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Char, I'd say it's not a good idea at all. Years ago I drank 3 whole days after the last Antabuse I'd taken and had a reaction. It is hard for awhile but you have to push through to achieve sobriety. Utilize the Antabuse for what you meant it to. It was a good, proactive step to get started on it.

That's a pretty cool quote too... who is it?
Old 04-08-2016, 07:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dean1978 View Post
I will be completely honest here and ask what you expected from us? You have been giving a chance (more than most people could dream of)

You alcohol isnt helping those who want/deserve when you want more alcohol, your treatment isnt dealing with but you 1 seem expectant and 2 you are meaning those other individuals have to wait for you.
Your post half makes sense to me. I posted because I am struggling and I have no support otherwise. I wanted opinions, advice, and to see what others have said. That's all. Thanks.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Are you hanging in there Charx?

D
Old 04-08-2016, 07:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
Hi Char, I'd say it's not a good idea at all. Years ago I drank 3 whole days after the last Antabuse I'd taken and had a reaction. It is hard for awhile but you have to push through to achieve sobriety. Utilize the Antabuse for what you meant it to. It was a good, proactive step to get started on it.

That's a pretty cool quote too... who is it?
Thank you for the advice. The quote is by Lawrence Block.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Are you hanging in there Charx?

D
I am. Thank you. I went to the gas station and bought a tea to drink instead. Trying to stay strong. The cravings for delirium is overwhelming.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Charx ... it's almost 11 pm. Have something sweet ... ice cream etc. ... then get ready for bed, you will be happy in the morning to wake up not hung over.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

You won't regret waking up sober in the morning

why not check out the Class of April support thread - there's support there 24/7...it might help when you get the craving for delirium again?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-1-a-15.html
D