Notices

Day one

Old 04-08-2016, 06:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day one

Drank too much wine last night... Woke up feeling dizzy and so I drank a bunch of water and took a bunch of b vitamins. Coffee now. I want this to stop. I've been off and on the bottle for 3 year now and I really want to stop for good this time. I need some advice on riding though the cravings that creep up at 5pm when I've had a long day and need to unwind. Wine is my big trigger. I can drink other alcohol and not feel the need to drink as much as I do when I'm drinking wine.. So step one, throw out the box of wine... I have a 7 year old and 4 year old and don't want to throw my life away. I have gained 25 lbs in the past year, I have heartburn, I don't work out anymore. I'm only 32.. Gotta change something!
Old 04-08-2016, 06:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Can you change what you do at 5pm? I also get home from work and immediately start drinking while I cook, the family doing their own thing.
I'm also really worried about what to do - as the weather is getting better I think I'm going to prepare a slow cooker meal in the morning so I'm not stuck in the kitchen all evening - and as soon as I get home I'm going to take my dogs and pony out and stay outside for as much as possible.
I'm going to also avoid sitting and watching telly in my cosy sitting room, I think I'm going to have to go to bed when I'm fit to drop.
I only day two so no idea if these things will work!
There is a fab thread on urge surfing on here xx
Old 04-08-2016, 06:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by 83mama0f2 View Post
Gotta change something!
What have you been doing recovery wise? Better yet, what haven't you been to get and stay sober?

The vow to quit is not enough. Throwing away the wine is not enough. SR hasn't been enough (or the way you've been using it isn't enough).

I'm usually pretty generic when I tell people they need to find a program of recovery, because there are a number of different methods and it's up to the person to find which one works for them. But in your case I going to suggest to you strongly, get to an AA meeting. You can't seem to do this on your own
Old 04-08-2016, 07:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Since 5 PM is the most difficult time of the day for you, why not plan to change your routine for a few days at least, until you start to feel more comfortable at that time. How about going for a long walk, or to the gym, something that would change the routine for you.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi 83,

Wine used to be my favourite tipple, but I would have drank anything. For me, I realised that it was not the wine that was the trigger, but that I was using it to deal with my reactions to life - I was the trigger. Ultimately, I had to make a firm decision to stop and never drink again. Everything else followed from that.

You can, if you wish, investigate if AA is for you. I found AVRT very helpful at the start.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ined-long.html

My best wishes,

B
Old 04-08-2016, 07:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I had to want to be sober more than I wanted to drink. When I got to that point I was able to stay sober.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

The scary part of reading that was drunk too much wine last night

Acceptance of the fact your alcoholic will really help
Old 04-08-2016, 12:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Agree with the others, but I'm also a mother, and also drank while cooking... and after.... or when I was doing anything else.

My quick advice about 5 pm is this. The first week, I didn't go home after work... I made it a point to stay our past 7pm. I took the boys on "Dates" we went for river walks, to dinner with Grandma, out to eat, to the park. Whatever I had to do. Then when I did start going home after work, I bought tea, lemonade, juices, soda sparkling water.... anything to drink but alcohol.

You have to change something to create change... you know?
Old 04-08-2016, 02:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Mama

Not sure if you've seen these before but they're worth their weight in gold

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D