Notices

PAWS question

Old 04-08-2016, 06:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

PAWS question

For those that have been through it, how long before you feel back to normal? (whatever that is). I am past day 80 now and still feel kind of run down. Blood tests are ok, but I still crave sugar and soda. I have had all the PAWS stuff, the dreaming and anxiety. Of course no hangovers anymore but still wondering if I will ever feel "right" again. My alcohol history is long, and my stops and starts are many. This time I am doing better, and I know I can't drink. But I was hoping for a wonderful feeling by now but I am still tired and not doing much besides working (thankfully I kept my job). I am 57 years old. Any words of wisdom for people that have been sober a number of months? Would a change in diet help?
Old 04-08-2016, 06:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am 53, 37 of those abusing alcohol and my body. My experience is 3 to 6 months, it really depended on how long of a binge I had been on but yes they do stop, it goes without saying we are all different so it can be short or long.

Back in December I found this article/blog as I was curious.

P.A.W.S. | What?Me Sober?
Old 04-08-2016, 06:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It takes time Jim. Sometimes months, sometimes even years for full physical and mental recovery. And sometimes there is permanent damage. That doesn't mean you can't live a much improved life though. You say that you are "not doing much besides working" - that could be part of it. Sobriety is much more than simply "not drinking". You could actively participate in a recovery program. You could start exercising if you don't and making sure you are eating a healthy diet. You could try yoga, meditation, self help,counseling, etc.

Part of the problem is that nearly all of us had some kind of issue or problem that we tried to escape with our drinking. And when we stop drinking, those issues are still right there. The difficult part is learning to face them and deal with them straight on. That's the difference between not drinking and recovery in my mind.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
totfit

not doing much besides working

Could be one reason you are not feeling better. Diet and EXERCISE were/are critical for me. As far as feeling normal goes, how are we to know what normal feels like. I do know that much of the way I feel is subject to change and while I don't have full control, my actions have a lot to do with it. Over time I have developed a sense of what may be off in my diet, sleep patterns, etc. that may be contributing and I can try and do better in those departments. Without exercise, for me running, I would not feel well. It is critical for me for helping my mood and generalized anxiety.

While I acknowledge PAWS as being a recognized "thing", I believe personally we give it too much weight. I find it another way of looking at the problem rather than a solution. It really doesn't matter whether or not PAWS is causing issues or not, the solution is the same for me. Good diet, rest, exercise, outdoor activities, goal setting and daily looking to just take the next right step. I recognize that I will be far from perfect, but just want to continue to head in a generally positive direction. Merely quitting drinking does not change things immediately. Of course our body and mind will heal from its ill effects, but we can contribute to the healing by our actions. Everything else other than that requires action on our part and just stopping drinking does not fix any of the remainder.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks! That is a good article.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

scott mentioned something i heard really early on in recovery- it can take a year and longer for both physical and mental effects to heal.
made sense,too. i only drank for about 23 years. why would my body and mind heal quick from 23 years of me putting poison in it for that long?

your bloodworks good, but how about a full physical?

jim, im glad to read ya getting sober at 57. you keep it up and youll be able to show others over 50 its possible to get sober.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I was three months sober I was still restless and discontented. It was suggested that I start practicing gratitude every day. Find at least one thing to be grateful for each day. It helps me to focus on the positives instead of the negatives and really improves my attitude. Try it.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would say for me it was 6-7 months. I had crappy 3-5 hour sleep nights for what seemed like forever. Slowly and gradually I started clocking more sleep hours.

I still get the odd day of insomnia here and there, but no where near as many as "the year of insomnia" 2014.