Notices

How do I do it ?

Old 04-07-2016, 11:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do I do it ?

How do i rip this disease out of my body ?
Old 04-07-2016, 11:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I needed help to quit drinking.

I went to a no-cost detox program and stayed a week, then did ninety AA meetings in ninety days. I read and post here often, and have been sober over three years.

I hope you find the help you need soon for a permanent recovery!
Old 04-07-2016, 11:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

You don't. But a solid program of recovery can put it in a state of remission.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Learning to live with it is more easily accomplished than you think it is.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

I agree with doggonecarl, you will never be "cured" to where you can drink like a normal person, no matter what the AV tells you. You can have a normal life though with a solid plan and hard work. You need to find the path that works for you.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I got sober for good over six years ago when I finally wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink. I haven't regretted a minute of it.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

With a plan based on acceptance of the facts

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html
Old 04-07-2016, 12:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

These days my disease doesn't kick up too much of a fuss. Though I am aware that I will never be free of it. But that's OK. Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic they say. But again, that's fine. As long as I don't put a drink inside of me I will get a daily reprieve. A chance to live life sober and sane. It has become far easier as I have some sobriety time under my belt. You'll get that as well, and as time progresses you'll come to see your disease as a part of you. But not an active part. Be aware though it will lay dormant within you and should you return to drinking it will be just as devastating as ever. It seems not to weaken with age. Keep reading and posting as much as you can on here. I have found that trying to help other has helped me gain some sense of self respect back and has been very helpful in maintaining my sobriety.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

The way I did it was when I hurt bad enough, I was willing to do what was suggested. That involved doing things I didn't really want to do like go to AA meetings and make changes in my life.

My alcoholism will never be gone, but as long as I don't take that first drink, no matter how much it tries to convince me I should, it will be in remission. And to keep it that way, I need help.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
totfit

Just don't "water" it and it will lay dormant.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is a compilation of tools we used and what we did:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 04-07-2016, 01:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'd suggest reading the big book of AA if you haven't done so already. Working your steps and finding that higher power in your life will be key in your recovery. Many of the people here have good advice, some have good intentions but not the greatest advice...find what works for you and work it. You will get through it.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hmmmm. You got me thinking...

Rip it out? Rip it out of your body?

Well, yes it can come to a point that you feel it needs to be ripped out just like pulling up old carpet so you can put in the ne w.

But with addiction you have got to STOP putting the substance INTO your body. Then, your body needs to detox until all the alcohol is OUT. But, it's not done at that point in time, because your brain has been ALTERED and it takes time for the brain to stabilize and heal. And, that cannot be done unless you continue to keep alcohol out of your system.

For me, there has been no such thing as ripping it out. It is taking each day one day at a time. But, my one day at a time approach was not foreign to me as I started taking life literally one day at a time was I was at a very low point during my second pregnancy in my late twenties. Then, every time I started hitting a rough patch I knew I needed to get back to one day at a time again; otherwise it was all just too overwhelming and when I get to feeling overwhelmed I know I am very VULNERABLE to doing less healthy things.

One day at a time.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with the others here..I haven't 'ripped out' my alcoholism, but as long as I stay away from the first drink, it's as good as dead

Whats your recovery plan look like Juancarlos - how have you tried to stayed sober?

D
Old 04-08-2016, 04:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

First of all thank you for all the replies to my desperate post. I used the phrase "rip the disease out of my body" because it's alien to what I am and feels like it has taken over me.

I don't have a recovery plan because I don't know how to set one.

I'm at the point now where it has got to be a habit - a daily habit. Six nights out of seven I sink 10/11 cans of lager.

I feel like I am slowly killing myself but am not sure how to break the cycle.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This is a good place to start, Juan Carlos:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html
Old 04-08-2016, 04:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

This pretty much gives you step by step guidance on making a plan

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D
Old 04-08-2016, 05:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Somewhere along the line alcoholism became part of who I am and it appears I'm stuck with it. There are numerous coping mechanisms that keep it tucked more or less safely away and as long as I take my sobriety medicine I am able to lead a very happy life
Old 04-08-2016, 05:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

How do you rip it out? You don't.
In NA the first step tells us that we are powerless over our addiction. The original AA first step talks about us being powerless over alcohol, but I think it might have been better worded to say we were powerless over our alcoholism. In any case, hang around some experienced AA members and they'll tell you it's the "ism" that's the problem. - As one AA member told me years ago, "It's alcohol-ism, not alcohol-wasim

For me this means several things, but the two important ones here are the fact that I can't use just one, and the fact that I can't excise the addiction from myself. It's a part of me. - However, I never have to use again, and I don't have to be a slave to my addiction. I can learn to live with it.

Of course you don't know how to formulate a recovery plan. Neither did I. In my experience, a huge part of recovery is realizing that we need help, opening our minds to the possibility that something could help us, asking for help, and then following guidance and direction. - Even an atheist like me can practice steps 2 and 3,
Old 04-08-2016, 06:01 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by juancarlos66 View Post
First of all thank you for all the replies to my desperate post. I used the phrase "rip the disease out of my body" because it's alien to what I am and feels like it has taken over me.

I don't have a recovery plan because I don't know how to set one.

I'm at the point now where it has got to be a habit - a daily habit. Six nights out of seven I sink 10/11 cans of lager.

I feel like I am slowly killing myself but am not sure how to break the cycle.
I was there mate. What is it that triggers you to drink? buzz? relaxation?

I was drinking 8-10 cans on Stella a night, wetting the bed, not turning up for work, losing jobs, losing friends, stealing my mums wine before she died. The list goes on, dont let it get there buddy.

You are a UK dude, message me anytime and we can chat. Sobriety gives a grea life, you just need to believe in and want it. I can help you along the way