Notices

Caved in due to sobriety side effects :(

Old 04-07-2016, 09:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Caved in due to sobriety side effects :(

Alright I am back to square one, I drank last night. I have been getting sick of not sleeping and also I've been constipated (might be a result of the Nexium I've been taking)? I thought "I'll have one glass of wine" which of course turned to four. I don't feel too bad today but I'm going to need to find a way to manage these side effects if I want to stay sober. Any helpful suggestions? That's all for now, just venting, thanks.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done for coming back. Do you have a recovery plan?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html
Old 04-07-2016, 10:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The sleep gets better over time, I know that doesn't help right now. Maybe you can try sleepy time tea or melatonin. Let your doctor know about the side effects and see what they have to say,
Old 04-07-2016, 10:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back

The key is what plan you put in place to deal with the rationalisation to drink?
Old 04-07-2016, 10:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Trouble sleeping and digestion irregularity may be remedied by exercise. Have you been out for a walk lately?
Old 04-07-2016, 10:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Reaching out is vital anytime you feel the urges or the cravings reach out don't think about it just do it
Old 04-07-2016, 10:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by ZenButterfly View Post
I have been getting sick of not sleeping...
That's a side effect of early withdrawals, not sobriety. Sadly, drinking puts you back to square one and more nights of sleeplessness.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know how Day 1's are, and they make you feel like you havent made any progress, but I think you have made progress. Most of us here have been where you are and it just means we need to sort it all out and make another attempt at staying sober. Day 1 again does not mean you havent made progress unless you just give up. Please dont give up and try to make this next attempt work without being too hard on yourself.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It doesn't have to be square one. Just a missed day. Get back to two days ago and move on. You know you can do it. It wasn't wasted time due to one silly night.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Agree with the question about exercise. Try to do something to tire yourself out naturally.

Also, for the constipation, have you tried adding fiber (movement/exercise can also help that)?
Old 04-07-2016, 10:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Alright I am back to square one, I drank last night. I have been getting sick of not sleeping and also I've been constipated (might be a result of the Nexium I've been taking)? I thought "I'll have one glass of wine" which of course turned to four. I don't feel too bad today but I'm going to need to find a way to manage these side effects if I want to stay sober. Any helpful suggestions? That's all for now, just venting, thanks.
There are other safer ways to deal with insomnia. Plenty of OTC options, and also various herbal teas.

Personally i take a generic OTC sleep pill if I'm having a particularly tough night and "absolutely have to" get to sleep by a certain hour. Otherwise i just sip on an herbal tea (usually w/ Chamomile). Increasingly however, I'm able to fall asleep "on my own" w/o help.

Alcohol is a really crappy sleep aid. I remember when I was still drinking the alcohol would help me fall asleep..... but it was a "low quality" sleep where I would wake up the next day and only feel 50% energy, I would feel as if "i didn't sleep good". I read some science stuff somewhere that said alcohol disrupts your brain "waves" while sleeping, or something like that.

Look into non-alcohol sleep aids, good luck!
Old 04-07-2016, 10:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Have you talked to your doctor about the insomnia and constipation?

As stated, they are not side effects of sobriety but, might be from withdrawal.

This might help ... drink plenty of water, eat a healthy diet and get exercise.

Best wishes
Old 04-07-2016, 11:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

not taking anything away from the lousy symptoms you are experiencing, either of which are life-altering in their own ways - but let's call a spade a spade.....when it came to choosing to drink, they were just handy EXCUSES. the sooner we own up to the fact that we drink because we drink and NOT because the weather or a lousy night's sleep, the sooner we do get some power back. we can make the choice to DRINK or to NOT drink.

a sturdy sober plan with a good support system can go a long way to your sobriety success.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Don't be too down on yourself. I did the exact same thing. The important thing is you are not giving up on yourself. I went to see an addiction doctor and chemical dependency councilor. The addiction gave me a prescription to help me through the withdrawls as I was coming off to help me not go back and take that drink. I am now also on antabuse, while it is not the end all I know it helps deter me from drinking and is giving me time to get in to the program and get the support I need and be with people that understand what I am going through. At least it make me not feel so crazy or ashamed of my self. So far it is working for me. I am at a week now. Message me if you wan the name of the medication I was prescribed. Good luck and glad you are back.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The sleep that I got when I was drinking was decidedly not peaceful, nor did I ever feel rested when I awoke. Just saying.

Once I started to string sober days together, I stayed up later and had more trouble falling asleep. But, I did feel more rested after sleeping.

What helps me is getting exercise to quiet my mind. I avoid caffeine later in the evening. I try to establish a routine around bedtime.

There are a zillion different things you can do to work around the insomnia and the constipation that don't involve drinking alcohol. Keep at it.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

As was said, the anxiety and sleeping problems are due to withdrawal and do get better the longer you stay sober.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Yes I exercise on a regular basis, I went out for an 8 mile hike on Sunday! I also have been trying herbal remedies like chamomile tea, valerian root, even Benadryl is not helping me to sleep. I guess i just need to talk to my doctor and see what she suggests. I did almost 2 weeks of not drinking so that is a start anyway...
Old 04-07-2016, 12:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OldTomato View Post
Well done for coming back. Do you have a recovery plan?
I don't have a plan right now. I have been to AA in the past and didn't care for it much but there are SMART recovery meetings in my town so I am going to check those out and see what they suggest.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Any helpful suggestions?
dont use" side effects" of sobriety as an excuse to drink.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

"Side Effects of Sobriety" may be a misnomer, but I think I know what you're getting at. I didn't have too many bad withdrawals when I stopped drinking; the worst thing was insomnia. I felt like I was back on graveyard shift or early motherhood with all those sleepless night. But I stuck it out and it has gotten a lot better. Taking a bath or jacuzzi before bed can make you relaxed and sleepy. Tiring yourself out during the day is good too.: I read in bed at bedtime. But the biggest factor for me is getting up earlier and staying up.