Truly sad encounter

Old 04-04-2016, 09:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Truly sad encounter

Since I'm newly single in a new town I'm going to 'meet ups' to try to make friends. I went to a travel one and this guy was talking about a dear friend of mine. She was a huge addict, left the states to start a hostel. So this guy had been to the hostel and kept talking about how crazy she was.

She died a year ago from alcoholism at 50.

Even when I said she was my friend and that she died he kept talking about her.... I had pulled way from her when she told me the doctor told her to stop drinking or she would die. Told her I wouldn't watch her kill herself.

I still feel bad about not taking her calls. But what made me the most sad, is this beautiful, funny, ever so kind and unique person not only died of this disease, people are making fun of her. She thought everyone loved party girl, but she was kind of a joke.

Makes me really sad.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cavegirl View Post
since i'm newly single in a new town i'm going to 'meet ups' to try to make friends. I went to a travel one and this guy was talking about a dear friend of mine. She was a huge addict, left the states to start a hostel. So this guy had been to the hostel and kept talking about how crazy she was.

She died a year ago from alcoholism at 50.

Even when i said she was my friend and that she died he kept talking about her.... I had pulled way from her when she told me the doctor told her to stop drinking or she would die. Told her i wouldn't watch her kill herself.

I still feel bad about not taking her calls. But what made me the most sad, is this beautiful, funny, ever so kind and unique person not only died of this disease, people are making fun of her. She thought everyone loved party girl, but she was kind of a joke.

Makes me really sad.
😢
Old 04-05-2016, 02:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm really sorry, CaveGirl, that is so sad. I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

It's something I worry about for my stepson. He has alienated himself from nearly everyone of his family and friends, and has been 'the joke' in some settings.

Your friend is in my prayers. I really hate addiction....
Old 04-05-2016, 04:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

An alcoholic/addict friend of ours recently committed suicide, a tragedy for his family and loved ones and another sad example of addiction stealing life from the person and all who loved them.

Even so, I have heard snide remarks and even jokes, from people who should know to be more respectful. Many of them drink too much and have their own demons and maybe this is their way of denial that this could happen to them.

I refuse to listen to those kinds of remarks, I refuse to smile at what they think is funny. I can't change the insensitivity of those people but silence and a deadpan face speak louder than words ever could.

I am sorry about your friend. Too many die too soon.

Hugs
Old 04-05-2016, 06:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That is so sad. I am sorry for the loss of your friend. How tragic.

Many hugs.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks all. I knew she was on the path to destruction and I couldn't watch it. We were close for 16 years before I pulled away. Sucked to have a random stranger talk crap about her.

Yes she was a hot mess, but she had tons of demons and an overpowering thirst. Her dad died of alcoholism at 42.

But she wasn't just an addict, she was a brave, smart, kind loving person too.

I couldn't believe this guy (who I'd never met kept dogging her)...

Made me so sad. Because she thought everyone loved party girl.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I posted this because I think sometimes we forget in our anger or frustration with the alcoholics in our lives that it actually can kill them. And not all alcoholics are inherently bad people.... Some have a treatable disease that they choose not to treat. Terrible waste of a big beautiful life.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Cave-it is a terrible waste of a good life. I'm so sorry for your friend and what caused her death. One of my ex husbands former co wor*ers was a raging alcoholic and committed suicide a couple of years bac*. It is awful!