Notices

Sleeping pills and drinking

Old 09-20-2004, 08:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sleeping pills and drinking

Hi everyone-

I've now been sober 30 days (happy dance, happy dance), and while i'm feeling good I have some concerns.

I've suffered from insomnia for a couple of years; I used to take care of it by drinking until I passed out. Now I take a sleeping pill to get to sleep. I've tried for a few nights in a row to NOT take it (Living sober and the Big Book told me its a no-no, and the Big Book is totally the boss of me), but I was up ALL night. I finally had to take it because I was practically starting to hallucinate at work. My question is, should i try again to stop taking it cold turkey? My fear is that in the wee hours of the morning, I'll get the urge to drink. I got that urge the nights I tried going without the sleeping pill, and while i stayed away it was very scary for me to experience that, since during the day i'm generally ok with not obsessing about it.

I'm going to my doctor in a couple of weeks to discuss with her, but A) she's about 12 years old and giving Doogie Howser a run for his money, and B) I'd really like to just hear what you have to day. Has anyone had similar experiences with this? If so, what did you do?

Thanks so much in advance, you are all life savers
Old 09-20-2004, 09:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm going to my doctor in a couple of weeks to discuss with her, but A) she's about 12 years old and giving Doogie Howser a run for his money
hi s&t,
why do you go to this doctor if you don't respect her...shouldnt you change drs to meet your needs...theres many good docs that specialize in your concerns.
usa
Old 09-20-2004, 09:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi usa-

I've only been to this doctor once, after changing PCPs b/c he was not familiar with alcoholism and I felt tremendously uncomfortable talking to. So its not that I don't respect her, I was joking. ha. I guess I'm not as funny as i think i am.........

I really was just looking to see if anyone else on this site has had similar experiences. As far as my doctor goes; I trust her decisions as a physician and just wanted to hear from people who had experienced it themselves.

thanks!
Old 09-21-2004, 10:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Taboo?

Is this a subject that i'm not supposed to ask about? I'm sorry if I offended anyone; I was just looking for support.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

HEY S&T,I SEE A PSYKE DR. SHE PRESCIPED ME A SLEEP AID.
INSOMNIA IS A VERY REAL PROBLEM.RELATED TO DRINKING?
SOMETIMES AND SOMETIMES NOT.
I SUGGEST SEEING THE DR. AND BEING HONEST.
THEY CAN'T HELP IF THEY DON'T KNOW!
ALL THE BEST....ted
Old 09-21-2004, 04:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ted!!!

thank you Ted, your words meant a TON to me. I'm having a really tough day and it was nice to see you reply to this thread.

I've been following your story and think about you every day.

-bea
Old 09-21-2004, 05:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Chy

That insomnia affects a lot of us alkies. Newly sober, it was what seemed to be ages before I could sleep. Made some lifestyle changes, diet, exercise, and vitamins. It helped a great deal, and I kept melatonin around for the bad nights, as I was afraid of the prescribed, and otc sleep aids. See what the doctor said, and try some relaxation techniques before you go to bed. It sucks, it really does!
Old 09-21-2004, 05:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

S & T, I really laughed about your 12 year old comment. My new doc is the same age and I love her to death. When I told her I had stopped drinking but wasn't sleeping, she was totally supportive. She said try to take a benedryl product and if that didn't work, she would make sure I would get help to get a good night's rest. She stressed how important it was to get a good night's sleep. After taking some over the counter products that just kept me awake, I have been drinking a glass of milk before I go to sleep. I have been sleeping like a baby and I have a huge insomnia problem (that's why I was drinking--to help get to sleep). I am pretty sure it isn't the milk helping me fall asleep, LOL, but my mind thinks it is.

Nancy
Old 09-22-2004, 03:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

HEY BEA,HOPE YOU GOT SOME :sleeping:
THE MELATONIN CHY MENTIONED WORKS WELL TO.
I'VE USED THAT BEFORE,VERY INEXPENSIVE
ANY PHARMACY SHOULD CARRY IT.
I GOT MINE AT A NUTRITION CENTER.
5 HOURS FOR ME LAST NIGHT
BETTER THAN NONE I GUESS.
HANG IN THERE BEA.............ted :rambo: