Notices

This is Strange

Old 04-04-2016, 03:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is Strange

I don't mean to sound trite here, but I'm finding it really strange that after 4 weeks abstinence from alcohol, I have no cravings at all, no desire to drink. I had a couple of flashes, like when my daughter left to go back to the town she now lives in after a visit but not what I would call cravings.
Has this ever happened to anyone else?

I have tried to give up a million times and have succeeded sometimes for months (but that was quite a few years ago). I have been drinking this time really heavily for 3+ years. But in all 17 years of alcoholism.

Every other time I have given up (even after being hospitalized or arrested) the cravings were back within 2 weeks or less.

This time, I have made a plan. I am using Smart tools to control any emotions, especially anger and frustration which were always triggers.
But to be truthful I have only had to use them a handful of times.
I've never had this happen before, has anyone else?
Old 04-04-2016, 03:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lucky you. Don't let your guard down. The AV is very crafty.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The AV, is after all part of me, so I know it as well as it knows me...so I know it is crafty haha
I just have never had this before, it's strange. Good. But strange.
The thing different this time, is that even if I could drink "normally" I wouldn't want to. I don't want that feeling of even being tipsy. I used to like that, but now the thoughts of it makes me feel sick
Old 04-04-2016, 04:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Everytime I think I know my AV, it comes up with some new way to bite me in the butt. Anyway, good on you for no cravings! Hope it stays that way. I'm a month in and have to say I get plenty of cravings still.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA member

Congratulations on your sober time.

It would be unusual for you not to get a desire to drink at some time in the future.As long as you stick to your plan when and if it happens,all will be well.

I had a drinking thought last weekend,came out of nowhere,I can't remember the last time that happened.It quickly went,but it was a shock to me,I always have to be vigilant
Old 04-04-2016, 04:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you
I think that's what I'm worried about..everything has been TOO quiet and TOO easy..I am worried about an ambush haha
Thats why I asked if anyone else had experienced this.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yinzer View Post
Everytime I think I know my AV, it comes up with some new way to bite me in the butt. Anyway, good on you for no cravings! Hope it stays that way. I'm a month in and have to say I get plenty of cravings still.
I always have before yinzer!
Old 04-04-2016, 04:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

It could be because your attitude is different this time. I did have cravings the first few weeks, so I didn't have that experience. I'm glad you are doing well, but it's always good to be a bit cautious alcoholism can be very tricky.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's like when my grandsons are TOO quiet in another room Anna haha
Old 04-04-2016, 04:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Lein and congrats on your time sober.
You are in an enviable position right now and I hope you use it to get stronger in your resolve to not drink.
I have had a similar experience for about six months but just over the weekend found myself wondering whether "I had ever truly been alcoholic" or whether I had "just been unhappy and using alcohol as a coping mechanism"......
I didn't want to drink over the weekend but was a little taken aback when I considered what my mind was considering..... odd thoughts for a person like me to be having after what I went through but apparently we can have short memories.
I join others in both congratulating you and cautioning you to be careful not only with what you do but in how you think.
Take care.
Jonathan
Old 04-04-2016, 04:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Jonathan
I know I have alcoholism, but like you said people have short memories and I'm feeling a bit of trepidation that in a couple of months I will forget how bad it got.
And although I'm convinced now I have alcoholism, I might "forget" that too.
Maybe keep reminding myself on my blog from time to time! Looking forward is good, but I don't suppose the odd glance backward would go amiss..just incase
Old 04-04-2016, 05:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi lein, I've never made a serious effort to quit, but it seems I've gotten over the hump so to speak. That being said, I've read too many accounts on this forum that the AV is there waiting in the shadows and ready to pounce at any moment. So I've mentally prepared for those times. Great job on your sober time.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it would be a little hasty to assume that the struggle is over...but I'd run with the good times for now, lein

D
Old 04-04-2016, 05:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks Thomas..I do have my plan, it's all ready and waiting. Ive used the techniques to stop any emotions building up out of hand. Maybe thats why it's never reached the craving stage...that and for some reason this time (I think its that book, under the influence) I am finally convinced, it's a physical problem, not a mental or emotional one, why I cannot stop once I've started.
When I believed it might be a mental or emotional attitude why I couldn't stop, I thought that maybe I could fix that. Or use willpower. But now I BELIEVE that its physical, I can't change the way my liver processes alcohol through willpower haha
Old 04-04-2016, 05:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yeah Dee, my dad is dying, there are going to be some bad times coming in the next year.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad it's going well for you. Do watch out tho, that addiction can be tricky and show up out of nowhere.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am in the same boat as you, Lein. I drank for 25 years, nearly daily for the last 10 and tried many, many times to quit. Always such a struggle. But drinking was getting to be a grind, no longer fun and was serving me no purpose other than knocking me out cold. I got to the point where enough was enough and I just closed the door and said no more.
I have been racking my brain trying to figure out what was different this time. My attitude, for sure, was different. My diet is greatly different. Lost 40 pounds with a high nutrient/low calorie diet (yes, while still drinking). I really think sugar and empty calories have a lot to do with cravings.
I've made a plan, but that didn't happen until after the 2 month mark, so I can't say that was a help in the early days.
I don't know, I'm puzzled but will ride the wave and hope it doesn't crash me on the shore!
Take Care, Lein
Old 04-04-2016, 08:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lein View Post
Yeah Dee, my dad is dying, there are going to be some bad times coming in the next year.
Hi Lien,

I'm sorry to hear about your dad, I'm glad you are sober and that it is going well.

❤️ Delilah
Old 04-04-2016, 08:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I didn't have much for physical cravings. It was easy for me to quit, and I did many times.. hahaha. But for me the emotional triggers are strong, and require caution. Dating, romantic dinners, travel to beautiful places, etc. I've handled all of that this time around. Just need to build up to it.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:32 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm the same as you, Lein. I've never quit successfully before. Am now on day 34 with no cravings or desire to drink and I don't know why. I'm with Dee. Ride it while it's here but be hyper-aware that it could change any moment. I'm trying very hard to not get complacent.