Notices

Son Detoxing

Old 04-04-2016, 06:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Son Detoxing

My son is on day 3 detoxing. Bad shakes, chills, vomiting, muscle pain, restless legs etc. How long does the worst of this last? Any suggestions?
Old 04-05-2016, 09:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

I don't know but wanted to show my support
Old 04-05-2016, 04:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Soberwolf! I realize this board is not as active as some of the others.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello. I'm sorry for the pain you must be feeling watching your son go through wd's. That must be very hard. I went to rehab in May after 2 1/2 years on high doses of pain meds. Athough they were able to give me gabapentin, a muscle relaxer and Benadryl to help with the wd's, they were still horrible. Like you said, chills, restless legs, muscle pain, body aches, etc. The worst of the physical symptoms were over after the first week, but I have to warn you about some of the lingering wd's symptoms also. Those lasted longer for me. Emotional upset, cravings, using dreams, insomnia, etc. I wish you all the best, and I do promise that this does get better. It sounds like you are a loving parent, and that makes a huge difference.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ya prolly a week or around there. Eat drink regularly. Get exercise etc.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Mom

I am 53 days clean off of suboxone after 6 1/2 years of using properly. I can tell you my experience but it doesn't mean it will be that way for your son. No one ever suggests jumping off without tapering down over months first of all, myself included. I learned the hard way after tapering down over only like a week from 12 mg to 2 mg and then off. First few weeks with be hell most likely however you cut it. Mostly physical though, my suggestion is to go run those first few weeks you will actually feel great afterwards even if you don't have the energy. After the physical withdrawals fade there will be an in between period where he will feel just blah, not much emotion or energy. Just kind of there. Between 30-90 days is the tough part. The post withdrawal stuff is what gets people back on suboxone. Depression, anxiety, memory issues, focus issues, numbness to having feelings and inability to enjoy just about anything. Vitamins I suggest to take: B12, B6, Magnesium, vitamin D, Ginko Biloba, vitamin C and fish oil. These all help the body and especially the mind get back to its normal state. I've made it this far with a family and a life so I know your son can too. Always try to be understanding too, he's gonna need support when he doesn't think anyone else gets it because honestly most people don't unless you've been there.