Notices

Does the obsession with NOT drinking ever go?!

Old 04-04-2016, 04:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does the obsession with NOT drinking ever go?!

Much like being obsessed with alcohol im now obsessed with sobriety! I bring sobriety up a lot when talking with friends and family, read loads on alcoholism, sbriety, what to expect etc etc. Does this mental obession with NOT drinking ever fade?!

Im not knocking it, its keeping me sober, but I fear I run he risk of being a sober bore lol x
Old 04-04-2016, 05:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Things will settle down - give them time.

If you're like me you drank for years - it's going to take a little while to find your new 'normal'....but I promise you'll achieve a healthy balance.

D
Old 04-04-2016, 05:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It took me about six months before not drinking was the norm. But I stopped thinking about it so much and just staying sober was my way of life.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you!
Old 04-04-2016, 05:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

As Dee states In my case at least I was over the top eager to beat this, I am still eager but rather than spending 5 hours a day reading/posting I probably average 90 min. I work my program to stay sober but it does settle down a bit, always be mindful however the addictive voice is still there waiting for a chance.

Andrew
Old 04-04-2016, 05:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm with Dee and I believe it's natural for things in our lives to want to balance out.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, you will find a new normal, trust me!
It took about 10 months to just be ho-hum about not drinking. Humble on one hand, grateful on the other, but always alert to the triggers and addictive voice, which still shows up every once in a while, but it's usually just a little wisp of hot air, which quickly dissipates.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Have you thought about building other things into your life (new hobbies and activities)?
Old 04-04-2016, 06:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I tend to obsess over everything. I get into whatever I am doing.

When I was a drunk, now that I am sober, my wife, my work, my physical training, what ever it is...I obsess...

I think many addicts have that nature.

That is why this forum is good. Same for AA. We can get it out w people that get it.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes Im obsessed with being sober too - 24/7!!! I keep expecting someone to tell me to shut up lol xx
Old 04-04-2016, 07:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I have a little over 5 1/2 years sober. Every day I do something recovery related. Every day is a day committed to sobriety. Every day I am grateful I have quit drinking. Every sober day is a blessing.

I hope this never fades.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I know what you mean! I'm an obsessive personality so I'm always somewhat obsessing about something. I really need to work on that. But I suppose obsessing about recovery (or yoga, or nutrition, or cleaning, or gardening etc) is better than obsessing about alcohol.

You've touched on an interesting point for me. More and more (from personal experience and from listening to others) I believe addiction is a form of OCD. I obsessively think, I compulse with my drinking. I don't count, or switch lights on and off, or open and close things....I drink. It relieves the thinking, literally with the first drink. But then of course, once I'm sober, I'm obsessing about the fact that I drank....a viscous cycle.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Haha, funny, I was wondering the exact same thing earlier!!!! I'm approaching 6 months & think about NOT drinking a few times a week, all depends on what I'm doing & how I'm feeling.
I'm getting married in May & my hen-do is this wkend, I have no idea what we're doing but I've said it needs to b a more sober event as I won't be drinking!!! Feels weird to say it, these things r normally surrounded by booze & willy straws (none of which r my cup of tea).
I think on a whole the thoughts r few & far between but r exaggerated when there is a 'drinking event'. I'm sure & hope it will become normal to not drink....fingers crossed!!!!
Old 04-04-2016, 01:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well, you could certainly be obsessing about less healthy things, so I wouldn't obsess over it (stupid pun intended). I'm sure things will level out with time. I have a little time under my belt and I don't obsess about not drinking, but I find myself thinking a lot about activities to do. Unfortunately I'm not doing too many of them...yet.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I too def have an obsessive personality - once I get my teeth into something im hooked, at the mo is sobriety, that could change and I could be obsessing about my weight, or giving up smoking or cats, or home furnishings next lol lol. I guess its just my make-up - I always obsess over something or another!

It's keeping me sober so I count it as a good thing, just need to perhaps tone it down around the non alchies, they wont get it!!!

Oh and yes, I am so very aware Im only one drink away from blowing my sobriety, I soooo don't want that but very very mindful of that fact.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am no expert but I would think that like anything else, it simply depends on the person. You know how some people are, say, animal rights activists? They stop eating meat and start living and breathing the cause and it becomes their life. Well, that's not a bad thing if it serves a purpose and helps others learn along the way.
This could be your calling and you could end up dedicating yourself to helping others with their sobriety. Or....this could simply be an exciting new endeavor for you that like anything, will lose steam over time. That's not a bad thing, it's just life. I get excited about new things but find that in time they change or get replaced by another. Only time will tell.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I never really talk about sobriety to anyone outside of these boards, it is not my thing. ( Apart from a few meetings in the early days)
Though, in the beginning, I inhaled and exhaled everything to do with sobriety. I read, watched & listened to everything. I wanted to learn everything I could....I needed to create some momentum to help me to become sober and I was obsessed with maintaining sobriety .
The preoccupation with sobriety definitely helped me stay sober.
It lasted approximately just over a year...A year of first.
I am still interested in articles politics, info and movies about addiction.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

Every morning I wake up, I'm grateful I'm not hungover. I acknowledge that I'm an alcoholic and that if I want to have any chance at living the type of life I want for myself, today I can't drink.

It might be obsessive but who cares? It works for me.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yeppo. That was me! I am super proud of what I've done. At first, I didn't tell anyone. But as soon as I knew I was free, I could not **** up about it.

I personally find it healthy to be excited and talk about it to at least some degree. I use SR for that as well as a forum I'm in for quitting nicotine. They are all addicts there. Plus I had joined them a few years ago then caved due to alcohol, so I'm quick to share my experience with them.

I am the type that digs in and tries to become a master of knowledge in whatever I do. I tend to over analyze. Alcoholism and addiction is one of those things where I firmly believe there's no such thing as knowing too much.

Congrats to you! From what you describe, you sound proud and confident in your quit. That is awesome!!
Old 04-05-2016, 08:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I've just done a year and it's all still big for me, still reading loads, on here daily, watching films about it, internet research. I think it keeps me focussed and no harm in it. I don't have many folk to talk to about addiction, so these habits sustain me for now. Whatever works.
xx