Notices

Recovery + Sleep Apnea = (words that cannot be posted here)

Old 04-04-2016, 04:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anywhoo , sleep study# 1 2 weeks ago , they said I have significant sleep apnea..

Sleep study#2 testing all that CPAP stuff is tonight..

If recovery makes you tired and sleep apnea makes you exhausted , I can honestly say that I know how a Zombie feels. I will show some compassion to all zombies in the near future..Lord Help me..

For most other folks , a 90 day recovery timeline is about normal...Double that for me...

Anyone else in a similar predicament??
Old 04-04-2016, 05:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

No experience here, but I'm glad you're well on the way to a solution nofear

D
Old 04-04-2016, 05:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, I also have sleep apnea and use a cpap machine at nights. It took me many months to get used to it but made a notable difference. Luckily for me when I gave up drinking I was about 4 years in on using it. I prob wouldn't be able to sleep without my mask now out of habit.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I have been using a CPAP for about 8 years. I don't even like to think about being without it. A couple of years ago mine broke and it took about 3 weeks to sort out the insurance and get me a replacement. I was miserable. I made a deal with the CPAP company to buy my old one once it was fixed so that I always have a spare.

The mask and hose thing take a couple of weeks to get used to, but get ready to feel MUCH better.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have sleep apnea too. The machine is a godsend once you get used to it. I get better sleep and, spend less time sleeping. Believe it or not. It very dangerous if it goes untreated.

One thing you need to watch is the humidity level. You probably will need to adjust it from what your doctor set it at.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

I use a CPAP also. Really like it. One other comment, with continued sobriety your apnea will get much better. The booze is not going it any good.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I am also being tested for apnea and I hope you get the relief you need. My wife said my sleep apnea was awful while I was drinking, since sober I have been much better. I have a double uvula which makes my airway that much more crowded.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is killin me right now...It's either that , or I have completely demolished my Hippocampus and cerebellum...I am just out of it , drowsy , disconnected , every dang muscle hurts..Ears ringing...Been over 3 months since I quit...This crud can't go on forever can it??? Hoping this CPAP stuff helps a little...
Old 04-04-2016, 06:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Really ,just feel stoned half the time to put it mildly..
Old 04-04-2016, 06:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

My apnea index was over 50, which means over 50 times an hour I quit breathing until I roused enough to recover. This is almost constant, I would think. I never got any deep sleep whatsoever, likely for years. This causes depression, inflammation in every joint and muscle, low metabolism, weight gain, lack of motivation, even cognitive problems. I was in a constant fog with headaches every day.

It took me about three months to get used to the pressure and the mask, but I have lost weight, gotten more active, better mood. All in all a huge improvement in my quality of life.

If you snore, and especially if your sleep partner observes that you stop breathing at times, please get a sleep study and cpap if indicated. It isn't especially fun, but so much better than trying to function without it.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have sleep apnea also....I can relate to feeling like a zombie, even tho mind was diagnosed before I quit drinking. You will feel so much better when you get it sorted out and treated. It takes a while to get it all right...but it's worth it. I also don't think I could sleep without the cpap now. It feels good to sleep all night and wake up feeling refreshed. Good for you for taking care of yourself.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Freshstart , I really haven't slept well since losing my first house in 09...Then we lost a second house in 2012. That really threw into a tailspin emotionally and physically and sleep went straight out the window...

Now when I am sleeping , I do not dream..When I am awake , almost feels like sleep walking....

Sure as heck this CPAP does something..
Old 04-04-2016, 06:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Drinking filled a bunch of holes for me..or so I thought..I think it just made deeper holes..Much much deeper holes..That I hope some day I can out from...

Dr's suspect that once this sleep stuff gets fixed , it should help..
Old 04-04-2016, 06:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm sorry your apnea is so bad but really hope the CPAP improves things for you. Congrats on 3 months.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank ya... It just kinda sucks at the moment , because it feels like someone yanked the plug on every emotion I have right now. The slightest amount of stress makes my ears ring and every muscle hurt...I am praying for better days...I have been this way for months...
Old 04-04-2016, 07:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober AF Since 3/20/16

Yep, same story here. Index over 50 as well. I can honestly say that my CPAP, combined with sobriety, has saved my life. In fact, I have a very strong inclination to believe that my earlier attempts to quit were thwarted in part by my inability to sleep, and hence, inability to truly heal.

I loved my CPAP on the first night. I can't imagine sleeping without it.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I know of other members who swear that a good sleep is essential to their focus and drive related to sobriety.

I have been reading about fitness and exercise, and the literature seems to say that sleep quality is more important than food quality in building and maintaining body and mind. And for us, people whose sleep is almost non functional, it is essential that it gets sorted. Weight gain, diabetes, heart attack risk, stroke risk, immune disorders, it is a huge list of bad things that result from untreated apnea.

Push through the next few months with your cpap machine. Make sure your mask interface fits well, and many find the adaptive pressure machines to be more comfortable than the older fixed or bi-level machines.

I understand that cpap is only 50% effective because only 50% of the people stick with it. If you persist, it is 100% effective. Now that is quite the guarantee!
Old 04-04-2016, 07:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank ya fresh start...It's bizarre is what it is...It's like wherever I go or do , is more like watching TV...Kind of derealization I guess...

Every med professional I have seen so far says it's due to extreme stress and anxiety...Which I guess sleep apnea treatment is supposed to help with..
Old 04-08-2016, 08:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Well got my CPAP yesterday..Used it last night..Still feel tired and disoriented today..That may be part of the fragmented REM issue I have though...

I was advised y my Dr. to try Melatonin at night...Pulmonologist thinks my "circadian" rhythm is not quite right..

I hope something gets better soon..I cannot spend the rest if my life just stuck in a constant state of dizziness and disorientation...Been Months now... Trying to be patient...

But God Please don't let this be permanent...It's a horrendous feeling..
Old 04-08-2016, 12:18 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Give it time. It takes awhile to adjust to the CPAP mask. I hope it works out for you.