Notices

Newly trying

Old 04-03-2016, 09:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newly trying

My plan for tomorrow and the next 2 weeks is to not drink. I've been drinking steadily for almost 15 years. Only 1 other time, 6 months ago was I sober for 2 weeks but I've been drinking since that time -- maybe 4 months now. I'm tired of drinking, the hangovers, and feeling mentally and emotionally consumed with it. Never been to an AA meeting. But have immense background with it because of my family back ground and I attended alateen in my youth. I'm also have a degree in substance abuse counseling...too crazy. But I'm not that now. Looking for support here. Thank you.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, Conrad!

I think going to an AA meeting would be a great idea, along with reading and posting on this forum. Make a plan to engage in sober activities!
Old 04-03-2016, 09:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Conrad

D
Old 04-03-2016, 09:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

I used to be surprised by the amount of people in substance abuse counseling, and mental health in general, who are either actively abusing or are in recovery. But, now that I'm in graduate school for psychotherapy, and sober again, I understand. People who have walked through the fire have a unique perspective and can compassionately hold space for someone who is in pain.

Congratulations on your decision to find and maintain sobriety.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What a great decision to get sober, congrats and welcome to SR!

There are people from all walks of life here.. turns out alcoholism does not discriminate regardless of vocation, age or background...

Glad you are with us
Old 04-04-2016, 02:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Conrad
Old 04-04-2016, 02:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Conrad. Glad that you've decided you don't want to drink (although not clear why this is for the next 2 weeks rather than ongoing.) Thing is, I'd say that this is a goal rather than a plan. Like the goal for an army might be to win a war, but they still need a plan of action. So, my question for you is, what is your plan of action. How are you going to make this happen?

Are you intending to give AA a go? I think its worth investigating, but then Im an AAer so I suppose I would. (It became part of my plan after a month trying to do it alone and feeling like I was going crazy, and it, and this forum have really helped me.) There are plenty of people on here whose plans do not include it though.

Anyway. Welcome aboard.