Notices

Antabuse-reactions

Old 04-03-2016, 08:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Antabuse-reactions

I am curious if anyone has experience with antabuse. My biggest concern is hygiene products. Seems extremely hard to find soap, deodorant, shampoo and even makeup without alcohol in it. Was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or if this is even a problem.

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Journeytohope. I have no personal experience with antabuse, but I know others have.

It's not too hard for me to find deodorant or mouthwash products without alcohol in my country - never had soap or shampoo with alcohol as far as I know.

If it were me, I don't think I could be too careful... y'know?

D
Old 04-03-2016, 08:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I thought it made you sick when you ingested alcohol. No experience although it was suggested to me at one point. I hate to use this redundant comment but..... Consult your doctor.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Journey
I have taken antibuse. For me, I had to really ingest alcohol (which I never did) for there to be a problem. Even when used to cook with, the alcohol didn't bother me, assuming it was cooked off. I believe stuff like deserts with alcohol are to be avoided as they are often simply soaked in the booze after cooking.

What country are you in? In the US pretty much everything is available without alcohol. And as an aside, skin and hair care products that have alcohol aren't usually the best (also including other nasty chemicals like parabens and methyl lauryl sulfates). There's a website called EWG skin deep that rates products for their purity and safety. Check it out....it hopefully can direct you to quality brands.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I tried it and it didn't work. It just led to more psychological problems. I am now trying other methods.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

From reading, I understand some people can react to topical contact with alcohol, but it hasn't been an issue for me. Check with your doctor, but I would think you could do a small skin test to see if you have any kind of reaction to any products you have containing alcohol.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for all of your comments. The doctor told me I should avoid all products with alcohol in them. I am in the United States. I have really checked out a lot of products and too my surprise most of them have alcohol in them. I was able to find most of what I need I think. Today is day one and so far no reaction. Probably over reacting but really don't want to get sick. The biggest one I have not been able to find without alcohol is lotion and hair spray.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Journey, my son has been on it for a year. He has not had a reaction to small amounts in recipes - I used red wine vinegar once and he had shrimp that they set on fire(using liquor) at a Japanese restaurant. He thinks he got denatured alcohol on his hands at work and it made him a little nauseous. No major reactions. He did try drinking on it once and had a reaction...nausea, flushed face. He is on a light maintenance dose and I honestly think it has saved his life. It is not perfect -you MUST work a program to get the full benefit, but it is certainly a deterrent. Good luck!
Old 04-04-2016, 04:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh, btw, you can buy alcohol free mouthwash and hand sanitizer in the US.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
totfit

Years ago I took it for a good while and never had an issue with any product and used a deodorant that had alcohol in it. I guess each person is different, but I never had issues with anything. It was a big help to me after having a relapse and having a real difficult time attaining long term sobriety again. Was a great aide for a bit. As for "working a program" being required, it is not required at all for sobriety. Certainly one needs to make changes, but a program is not more helpful than not according to evidence based studies.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Can't help with the hairspray, but my daughter swears by coconut oil for skin care.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Antibuse is saving mylife

I have been on it for 2 weeks and it has been a lifesaver. I started drinking about 6 years ago and could never get 4 days of no drinking on my own. I even went to a rehab that was 20,000 and drank the 2nd day I got out. Why they didn't recommend this and naltrexone I'll never understand. One thing is important you do have to have the desire to stop. I have used my standard facial cleaners and shampoos that I've always used. I did quit listerine but have even eaten out. I even put cologne on once and nothing but I sprayed it on my clothes. Hope that helps. Also want to say the naltrexone with the antibuse seems to be the magic pill for me. Good luck

Thanks for your help.[/QUOTE]