Notices

Hey Everyone

Old 04-03-2016, 08:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey Everyone

This is new for me as I never posted anything like this. I did have sober time, 2 years but that was 6 years ago. And ever since then it has been a violent cycle. I am looking for support and have been honestly reading a bunch of threads since about 3 this Morning because I haven't been able to sleep. Today is day 1 for me, hopefully of a new chapter. I have looked up local AA meetings that I will start going to this week. Any suggestions are welcome as I can't live the way I have been anymore, and I don't want to lose everyone I'm close to that cares. The past few weeks, I kept trying but after about day 3 I was back at it. And I really just want to feel better and live a healthy sober life.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, and welcome to the family. This is a great place with lots of supportive, helpful people. Check out the Class of April: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-1-a.html

Have you considered making a plan for your recovery?
Old 04-03-2016, 08:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Welcome to SR! Your will find a lot of support here. It is good to have you with us as you begin the journey of sobriety. Remember it is ODAAT (one day at a time). Each sober day IS an achievement. Be sure to check in every day on the 24 hours thread. It really helps to "check in" and join us as we commit to a day of sobriety. ♡CR
Old 04-03-2016, 08:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have thought about it, but I guess I didn't really know how to go about it. I haven't felt that great today being only at Day 1. But tomorrow I'm hoping to feel better so I can start my new routine
Old 04-03-2016, 08:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Okay thank you for your advice 😊
Old 04-03-2016, 03:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi KimKimma

If you've been drinking for a long time, you might want to consider seeing a Dr before you stop. Detox is sometimes problematic for some of us.

What was your method when you quit for 2 years?

D
Old 04-03-2016, 03:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to meet you, Kim. When I came here I felt so alone - but that quickly changed. We all understand how you feel, & we want to help.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find a lot of support and good ideas here. I hope we can help you get sober for good.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
It's so good to meet you, Kim. When I came here I felt so alone - but that quickly changed. We all understand how you feel, & we want to help.
I do feel alone and scared but I have been reading all the old posts and it honestly has helped me through today
Old 04-03-2016, 05:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome to the family. You'll find a lot of support and good ideas here. I hope we can help you get sober for good.
I hope so, thanks for the encouragement 😊
Old 04-03-2016, 05:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi KimKimma

If you've been drinking for a long time, you might want to consider seeing a Dr before you stop. Detox is sometimes problematic for some of us.

What was your method when you quit for 2 years?

D

On and off I have been. But I've stopped for a few days before and been okay. This time it just has to be more permanent. I actually got a job I loved as a nanny (I love working with kids) I also was taking care of my mom during the day who had a stroke. I got really ingrained in my routine. I also was in therapy for a while. I didn't seek out any AA, I was scared to. So after the therapy was over and my mom needed a more permanent solution (home health aid) and the kids I watched for so long got old enough where they didn't need me. I should have reached out but instead I went back to my old ways. I got a two jobs for a little while but messed them both up. But before I was drinking, I fell in love with my best friend and I hate what I'm doing to her right now. I hate how I feel the time. But I almost made it though day 1 so it's a start. I am also gonna try the AA route this time, I don't have insurance that would cover therapy.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

AA sounds like a good idea. Well done getting through day 1!
Old 04-04-2016, 01:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome, and we'll done on making it back. This forum and AA has kept me sober for a couple of years now. When is your first meeting?
Old 04-04-2016, 02:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR
Old 04-04-2016, 06:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beccybean View Post
Welcome, and we'll done on making it back. This forum and AA has kept me sober for a couple of years now. When is your first meeting?
Yea I'm looking forward to the journey honestly, when I was sober for a while I felt great, I even got myself out of debt and had a good job. For some reason I thought I could drink alcohol again and now I'm here. There are meetings everyday in my area. I have been sleeping on and off but I'm going to try to make one today as long as I'm feeling up to it, otherwise tomorrow. I am pretty nervous about actually going to the meeting. I know that's stupid, I don't know I am just scared I guess.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fabela View Post
AA sounds like a good idea. Well done getting through day 1!
Thank you, I'm excited to get through day 2 now!
Old 04-04-2016, 06:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Welcome to SR
Thank you!
Old 04-04-2016, 08:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KimKimma View Post
Yea I'm looking forward to the journey honestly, when I was sober for a while I felt great, I even got myself out of debt and had a good job. For some reason I thought I could drink alcohol again and now I'm here. There are meetings everyday in my area. I have been sleeping on and off but I'm going to try to make one today as long as I'm feeling up to it, otherwise tomorrow. I am pretty nervous about actually going to the meeting. I know that's stupid, I don't know I am just scared I guess.
Not stupid at all. It's completely normal to feel anxious about it. But try not to let it stop you going. I was petrified walking into my first meeting, but everyone was very kind and welcoming. I was glad to have taken some tissues though as I did get a bit teary, which often happens with newcomers (as I now know) just because it can be a little overwhelming to find somewhere where people understand exactly how we feel.

Good luck. It might help to call your local hotline and have a chat beforehand. I used the online response service for initial contact and it made quite a difference having had some friendly emails and know a bit more what to expect.

BB
Old 04-04-2016, 09:24 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beccybean View Post
Not stupid at all. It's completely normal to feel anxious about it. But try not to let it stop you going. I was petrified walking into my first meeting, but everyone was very kind and welcoming. I was glad to have taken some tissues though as I did get a bit teary, which often happens with newcomers (as I now know) just because it can be a little overwhelming to find somewhere where people understand exactly how we feel.

Good luck. It might help to call your local hotline and have a chat beforehand. I used the online response service for initial contact and it made quite a difference having had some friendly emails and know a bit more what to expect.

BB
Okay thank you, I appreciate he advise. I have actually been getting a bit emotional just thinking about it so tissues will definitely help lol
Old 04-04-2016, 10:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

And be assured, you won't be expected to speak in front of the whole group other than to introduce yourself by your first name and why you're there IF you want to when prompted at the start of the the meeting (they will say something along the lines of 'is there anybody here for there fist, second if you third meeting? If so please introduce you yourself by your first name so that we can get you know you'. They'll then say similar for visitors.) There will be tea and coffee at most meetings. A pot will be passed round for people to contribute to the running costs of the meeting. Newcomers are not expected to put anything in but obviously can do if it helps them to feel more comfortable and they have a little change on them. That isn't a big deal either way, but I know that I was really pleased that I did have a little change to put in at my first meeting just so I could feel like I was participating.

If there are any questions you have, feel free to ask and I'll try to help as best I can.

Let us know how it goes.