Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I’m started to get frustrated that I’m not feeling better after 33 days.

Notices

Old 04-01-2016, 06:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I’ve been three rehabs before and I’ve always bounced back quickly. (1 week) This time, my mental fogginess and body weaknesses doesn’t seem to want to end. 4 year relapse this time and just alcohol. I went to my primary physician who referred me to a Psychiatrist. He put me on Gabapentin. All it seems to do is to make me more tired.

My cravings are never ending and I almost broke down tonight to purchase some booze. I know that would have been a mistake but my mind keeps racing. Also I can’t seem to get myself to a meeting. I never have connected at an AA meeting. I’ve been to my share and never seem to have anyone want to talk to me. It like attending a party where everyone knows each other but me.

Also my Primary this week promised me a referral for another therapist. The last therapist I was referred to was on Facebook with pictures getting drunk. Nice huh. The doctor promised me a call this week. Again no follow up or call. I feel like giving up again with this sober shiht.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

First of all, congrats on 33 days sober.

I would suggest you see your doctor if you have physical concerns. Maybe get a complete exam.

The best thing I did for my recovery was to start practicing gratitude every day. I made myself find something every day to be thankful for. It got to be a habit, and now I focus on the positives. It has changed my whole attitude. Try a little gratitude. It can't hurt, and it might help
Old 04-01-2016, 06:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is frustrating, but don't give up. You've made it through a month. Just take one thing at a time. Make a list and then work through it: just go to one AA meeting. If you call ahead, they may designate someone to meet you and introduce you around.
Call the Dr. again and ask for another referral. It's irritating but you have to be the squeaky wheel sometimes. Go back - there are other medications.
If you just got out of a rehab, call and ask for some assistance,
You've worked too hard to let some others stress you out and use that as a reason to drink.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi LostInMN

I found my withdrawals, and my recovery time lengthened the more years I drank.

Once upon a time I'd be right again in a day, then 3 days...then a week - by my last bender it took me over 30 days to recover so you're within the pocket of my experience.

If the problem is strictly related to your last period of drinking, you will get better tho - I guarantee it

Of course as least says, if you're concerned, or you think it could be something else, why not see your Dr?

D
Old 04-01-2016, 06:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

A recovery plan is also very useful - lots of good ideas here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

Don't get discouraged - try and remember you drank for years - the recovery is nowhere near as long as that

D
Old 04-01-2016, 06:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can understand that you're frustrated. There doesn't always seem to be a rhyme or reason to how long it will be before the grogginess wears off. Maybe make an appointment again with your doctor for your physical well being and to get another referral for a therapist.

As for AA, I imagine that it does feel clubby at some meetings. For me what helped was going a little early and hanging out. Letting people know I was new. The longer I went around, the more comfortable I was and also the more familiar to other people. It took a bit of time. People did hand me phone numbers but I was too shy too call them. Sometimes, as painful as it is, we have to do something scary like talking to someone else.

Hang in there. Thirty three days is great. Keep it up. I know it doesn't seem like it but the discomfort does pass. Truly. To drink now would just send you back to square one. I don't think you want to go there.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

First of all, nice going on 33 days. Better days are coming, promise. Secondly, I have learned that sometimes you have to be your own advocate, your strongest supporter. It takes a lot to keep fighting when you keep running into one roadblock after another. But every day you fight is another day you won even when it doesn't seem like it.
I understand that AA can be a lonely place at times, but try to remember why your there. Any problems you run into in AA are just distractions from what your true goal is, to get and stay sober. Also, have you tried several meetings? It's amazing how different they can be.
If your doctor is not calling you, be a pain and keep calling him, or find another doctor that is more dependable.
Last thing. Being and feeling successful in being sober comes in many forms. Sometimes, it's those little things that gives us the strength to keep fighting. A gratitude list can be very helpful. Do things you wouldn't of done if you were drinking. Take a walk, go to a movie, go fishing etc. These feel good things add up.
33 days is great, but it might take a while to get to where you want to be. Sounds like your drinking was pretty bad. Took me around two months to really start feeling better so your almost there. Starting over is not an option. John
Old 04-01-2016, 08:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It can be several months before a person feels better after years of alcoholism. It may just take awhile to bounce back. It is crucial to remain abstinent from alcohol though, in order to get back to feeling better. It can definitely feel as if it is not worth it. It is but you just have to find a way to handle it, that's the thing with alcoholism- you can't allow it to progress and it will be harder every time for various reasons, insomnia and relentless fatigue being two of them.

You can do this. It is maddening at first but it is worth it. A lot of things are going to be irritating and feel unbearable but you have to keep in mind you are only hurting yourself, your very self, if you cave and drink.

I had some winners for therapists too. One kept referring to me as "deficient" after finding I have a learning disability. He refused to take it back. Not too sensitive of him, or tactful. Shop around when it comes to therapists- make sure you know what you are seeking and think of it as a hired service- what do you want out of it etc. and are they qualified and do they have the right personality for your needs.

And, you can always vent here. There's always someone to listen.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Lost
Old 04-02-2016, 05:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi LostinMN, very sorry to hear about some of your experiences, it must be frustrating. I see you joined in 2012 so this has been going on for awhile, correct? I say great job on 33 days, maybe posting a bit more often can help you? So many great people here wanting to help out. Just a suggestion. I wish you the best.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

took me 6 months to feel better.

I spent 9 months in rehab. I don't normally post. Things happen for a reason. I spent 4 months in rehab. I am an addict alcohol is new to me and brings out the devil in me I was past 48 when I started to drink. I came home from rehab started to drink and got violent. I was picked up and taken back for 5 more months. I had a childhood resentment against my dad. I made a resentment list and prayed for him. I realized I had been withoput prayer and god for 5 years. My health started to pickup. They made me a group leader at the rehab. I wrote numerous inventories and shared them . Fear was what kept me drunk fear of institutionalization, dereliction etc. I made lists. Insanity lists, Gratitude lists etc. Then a remarkable thing happened a counsellor asked me to do counselling duties and my whole life changed. i found recovery. Wait for your moment my friend. No God no program. If you Don't have faith Then it's Good Orderly Direction. The moment will come to you. Hang On. Physical restoration of health does not equal recovery. God Bless.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

For those of us who WANT to drink, sobriety sucks. I’m 79 days in and that hasn’t changed. It’s a party you can no longer go to or at least have to stay away from for a while. Nobody wants to give up the party and if you love alcohol like me…drinking “makes” the party. Parties are lame and pointless without drinking…to people like you and me. Life without drinking seems like that party is lost forever for many of us.

I’m new here, but I have been to the funerals of many alcoholics. My life has been filled with alcohol saturation and alcohol saturated people and people trying to not drink. It’s a pathetic site watching someone who wants to drink be monitored by his wife or husband, and in the case of the husband of a fried of my wife (and no I’m not pushing making money online here! LOL!)…monitored by the law. He wears an ankle bracelet because he can’t stop, gets drunk when his wife leaves, gets in the car and crashes it. Now he has to hold his ankle near a sensor because he is an idiot that can’t control himself. He is a senior citizen with a lifetime of being a drunken idiot. Don’t be like him. He’s a good guy, but he can’t control his drinking.

I can’t stand the idea of AA. Sorry folks. There is nothing more pathetic than a pile of alcoholics. I’ve known them all my life and I’m an alcoholic too. Don’t tell me I don’t know what I’m talking about.

AA works for people who need to draw the energy from others to succeed. There are a lot of people like that in this world and without the energy of others to draw from, they can’t function. I’m trying to draw from my own energy and create energy for myself where it never existed before.

I need to stand on my own legs.

Nothing wrong with therapy. But that never worked for me either. Again, I felt pathetic sitting there answering stupid questions like “so why do you think this made you want to drink?”. Seriously? I love drinking, what doesn’t make me want to drink!!!!!????? They can’t answer your questions for you!

Alcohol is highly addictive to certain people. We are those people! Like 600lb people who have to be cut out of their bedroom because they ate themselves trapped…we can’t get enough!

Admitting that and dealing with it is key. That’s part of the whole 12 step dealio. But really, it’s just common sense…isn’t it? Why don’t we have common sense? Because we’d rather drink!

LostinMN,
You are no longer doing “the wrong thing”. That means you are smart and you care about yourself. You have to look out for you.
Do that!
Old 04-02-2016, 07:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My AH views drinking as enjoyment. What's the point in going to a party if you can't drink. Drinking is the life of the party. He will be entering rehab later this month. Now we need to adjust our lives to no drinking which most likely will be no socializing with his drinking buddies (so he'll have no friends an will need to make new non-drinking friends), no partying, no restaurants as its too tempting to look at everyone else's table drink alcohol.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

screwed up and drank tonight. Hopefully just a one day relapse. Feeling depressed. I thought I would share.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

LostinMN I hope you have stopped today. You can always reach out here if you feel like you may drink again.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Headed back to inpatient on Sunday. Maybe 4 times is a charm.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm not either. Better in a lot of ways, worse in others
Old 05-13-2016, 07:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LostinMN View Post
Headed back to inpatient on Sunday. Maybe 4 times is a charm.
Sorry to hear that, hopefully this time works. You're still trying, that counts for a lot.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DichotoMe View Post
For those of us who WANT to drink, sobriety sucks. I’m 79 days in and that hasn’t changed. It’s a party you can no longer go to or at least have to stay away from for a while. Nobody wants to give up the party and if you love alcohol like me…drinking “makes” the party. Parties are lame and pointless without drinking…to people like you and me. Life without drinking seems like that party is lost forever for many of us.

I’m new here, but I have been to the funerals of many alcoholics. My life has been filled with alcohol saturation and alcohol saturated people and people trying to not drink. It’s a pathetic site watching someone who wants to drink be monitored by his wife or husband, and in the case of the husband of a fried of my wife (and no I’m not pushing making money online here! LOL!)…monitored by the law. He wears an ankle bracelet because he can’t stop, gets drunk when his wife leaves, gets in the car and crashes it. Now he has to hold his ankle near a sensor because he is an idiot that can’t control himself. He is a senior citizen with a lifetime of being a drunken idiot. Don’t be like him. He’s a good guy, but he can’t control his drinking.

I can’t stand the idea of AA. Sorry folks. There is nothing more pathetic than a pile of alcoholics. I’ve known them all my life and I’m an alcoholic too. Don’t tell me I don’t know what I’m talking about.

AA works for people who need to draw the energy from others to succeed. There are a lot of people like that in this world and without the energy of others to draw from, they can’t function. I’m trying to draw from my own energy and create energy for myself where it never existed before.

I need to stand on my own legs.

Nothing wrong with therapy. But that never worked for me either. Again, I felt pathetic sitting there answering stupid questions like “so why do you think this made you want to drink?”. Seriously? I love drinking, what doesn’t make me want to drink!!!!!????? They can’t answer your questions for you!

Alcohol is highly addictive to certain people. We are those people! Like 600lb people who have to be cut out of their bedroom because they ate themselves trapped…we can’t get enough!

Admitting that and dealing with it is key. That’s part of the whole 12 step dealio. But really, it’s just common sense…isn’t it? Why don’t we have common sense? Because we’d rather drink!

LostinMN,
You are no longer doing “the wrong thing”. That means you are smart and you care about yourself. You have to look out for you.
Do that!
Are you still moderating D?
Old 05-14-2016, 05:26 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congrats on 33 days.

I know my recovery period from benders varies. I had one in January that took about a month to really start to feel better from. This time, much more quickly. I think it depends on how much I've drank and for how long. I'm also 50 so the age is working against me. I have also noticed my brain recovers much more slowly than my body....a bit scary.

Gabapentin is powerful stuff. Why is that being prescribed? If you have depression maybe ask about a more standard anti depressant?